View Poll Results: Are you a fan of Queen Clea's overall appearance?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the look is a classic.

16 66.67%
  • No, she needs to update her look.

8 33.33%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Circe-We had another debate about this over in over in the future state thread I think. Outside of her DCUniverse Online costume, I don't really feel like she's had super revealing costumes. The general consensus was her main appearance from Rucka's run is kind of boring visually and she could use something flashier/vampier, with suggestions tending towards her Perez design, JLU design, her JL Action design, none which which I would call super revealing
    Well there were these three numbers from #176 from Jiminez's run.

I have no idea what he was thinking with these outfits.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

Yeah for lack of a better term these things are stripper or "slut" wear. The thing is, I don't consider these regular "costumes". She's rapid fire changing between them between pages. With none of them even being meant to stick. A regular costume is regular design or outfit she regularly uses. And a page later after the final one you posted she changes into a green armor costume. It's somewhat disingenuous to try to portray this as Circe's normal outfits.

You're also ignoring Diana calling out Circe on her tacky fashion sense. So them looking like "cheap trash" to use Diana's own words is kind of the point.

Mighty Member

I don't see any problem with Clea's classic look...I mean it's nothing out of the ordinary for any other Atlantean wear...

Phil put Circe in a Boormanesque suit of green, metallic armor, in WW #176 - all business, no slink. It's the best thing she's ever worn in the comic.

For my money, some artist could swipe this and make it Clea's signature outfit. Now, that JLD has established Circe's more Doctor Who-ish look - trenchcoat, Zoaroastrian-inspired breastplate and leather pants - and that black Macedonian-inspired gown, with the striped, red leggings, as her default looks, ..she doesn't need the Boorman armor, anymore.

It really would be the perfect, flagship look for the more militaristic Clea, who likes to bloody her fists, in typically physical clashes, with Diana.

Circe_ww176v2greenarmor.jpg

Circe_ww176v2greenarmor3.jpg
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 12-10-2020 at 11:34 PM. Reason: art references, graphics
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Yeah for lack of a better term these things are stripper or "slut" wear. The thing is, I don't consider these regular "costumes". She's rapid fire changing between them between pages. With none of them even being meant to stick. A regular costume is regular design or outfit she regularly uses. And a page later after the final one you posted she changes into a green armor costume. It's somewhat disingenuous to try to portray this as Circe's normal outfits.

You're also ignoring Diana calling out Circe on her tacky fashion sense. So them looking like "cheap trash" to use Diana's own words is kind of the point.
    Yeah, remember what I said about how superhero comics are way more sex negative than people realize? These images are exactly what I mean. You got Diana calling Circe "cheap trash" and the villain wearing far more revealing outfits than the hero is outright stated to be a virgin. But this isn't what's called out as sex negative. No, it's when people want to give Wonder Woman pants or suggest that maybe Clea's outfit is a bit ridiculous.

Incredible Member

Yeah, remember what I said about how superhero comics are way more sex negative than people realize? These images are exactly what I mean. You got Diana calling Circe "cheap trash" and the villain wearing far more revealing outfits than the hero is outright stated to be a virgin. But this isn't what's called out as sex negative. No, it's when people want to give Wonder Woman pants or suggest that maybe Clea's outfit is a bit ridiculous.
    You may have a small point about the way Circe's choice of dress is treated in those pages, but being overly concerned with modesty or equating said modesty with seriousness isn't a good answer. For Diana, first while I'd get complaining when the bottom of the costume was drawn almost thong like, the real problem is how it was being drawn to emphasize her butt, not that she has bare legs. Thinking a woman having bare legs being scandalous is practically 19th century in thought. And I think the current Xena style battle skirt is fine. And while admit Clea's outfit carries a certain amount of campiness, I don't feel that's necessarily a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Phil put Circe in a Boormanesque suit of green, metallic armor, in WW #176 - all business, no slink. It's the best thing she's ever worn in the comic.

For my money, some artist could swipe this and make it Clea's signature outfit. Now, that JLD has established Circe's more Doctor Who-ish look - trenchcoat, Zoaroastrian-inspired breastplate and leather pants - and that black Macedonian-inspired gown, with the striped, red leggings, as her default looks, ..she doesn't need the Boorman armor, anymore.

It really would be the perfect, flagship look for the more militaristic Clea, who likes to bloody her fists, in typically physical clashes, with Diana.

Circe_ww176v2greenarmor.jpg

Circe_ww176v2greenarmor3.jpg
    Is it me or does every idea you have for improving Clea involve ripping off ideas from other villains, including other WW villains?

All-New Member

Not a fan. Classic is the best

You may have a small point about the way Circe's choice of dress is treated in those pages, but being overly concerned with modesty or equating said modesty with seriousness isn't a good answer. For Diana, first while I'd get complaining when the bottom of the costume was drawn almost thong like, the real problem is how it was being drawn to emphasize her butt, not that she has bare legs. Thinking a woman having bare legs being scandalous is practically 19th century in thought. And I think the current Xena style battle skirt is fine. And while admit Clea's outfit carries a certain amount of campiness, I don't feel that's necessarily a problem.
    Circe just looks better in that simple, medieval, Excalibur-inspired, green junk, than she ever did, in almost anything else we've seen her in, since Crisis. Seriously...stand her next to Darkseid, the Joker, Sinestro or Lex, and she looks, like she belongs, ..instead of looking ridiculous.

Taking a naked super-villain, seriously, might be easier, than one, who looks, like a streetwalker. That's not fair to sex workers or exotic dancers, or politically correct, ..but, it's kinda' how the superhero comic thing works. The problem with your argument is that Circe's tasteless dress, unlike Diana's (once) or Tarzan's nudity, has no real context, anymore - not one we care about, at least. No issue, with treating her as a respectable threat; wouldn't care, if she cut out two holes in that green armor for her rosy treasures - power's the same, either way.

Last edited by Mel Dyer; 12-11-2020 at 02:46 AM. Reason: corrections
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Incredible Member

Circe just looks better in that simple, medieval, Excalibur-inspired, green junk, than she ever did, in almost anything else we've seen her in, since Crisis. Seriously...stand her next to Darkseid, the Joker, Sinestro or Lex, and she looks, like she belongs, ..instead of looking ridiculous.

Taking a naked super-villain, seriously, might be easier, than one, who looks, like a streetwalker. That's not fair to sex workers or exotic dancers, or politically correct, ..but, it's kinda' how the superhero comic thing works. The problem with your argument is that Circe's tasteless dress, unlike Diana's (once) or Tarzan's nudity, has no real context, anymore - not one we care about, at least. No issue, with treating her as a respectable threat; wouldn't care, if she cut out two holes in that green armor for her rosy treasures - power's the same, either way.
    I'm really not defending Circe's outfits there much. I might have felt prompted to defend Phil Jimenez's run, but I'll concede those are outfits were far from Circe's best fashion choices. And that green armor is nice. My original point was that Circe has had more non-stripperific costumes than she does ones that are. I'd still maintain that the DCU Online is only real major example. If I'm listing my personal favorite Circe designs, my top three would be her JLU design, followed by her WML run design(which stuck around for a while , appearing in Grant Morrison's JLA), and third being her Perez design, btw.

I also feel Diana's bathing suit costumes were fine when they remembered to draw it properly covering her butt. But again I don't mind the current skirt either.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m fine with it, but they should camp it up a bit. Give her an Ursula the Sea Witch’s personality.

I'm really not defending Circe's outfits there much. I might have felt prompted to defend Phil Jimenez's run, but I'll concede those are outfits were far from Circe's best fashion choices. And that green armor is nice. My original point was that Circe has had more non-stripperific costumes than she does ones that are. I'd still maintain that the DCU Online is only real major example. If I'm listing my personal favorite Circe designs, my top three would be her JLU design, followed by her WML run design(which stuck around for a while , appearing in Grant Morrison's JLA), and third being her Perez design, btw.

I also feel Diana's bathing suit costumes were fine when they remembered to draw it properly covering her butt. But again I don't mind the current skirt either.
    I liked it, when first I saw it, ..but, on Queen Clea, Circe's JLU look would just make her a green Big Barda.

Incredible Member

I liked it, when first I saw it, ..but, on Queen Clea, Circe's JLU look would just make her a green Big Barda.
    I'm not suggesting to give any of Circe's outfits to Clea.

Most of those I admit are pretty bad, though with Diana’s comments later I think that’s intentional probably, but I do like the genealogy idea here of Circe constantly changing her appearance even when in a supposed fight to the death.