Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by captchuck View Post
    This issue didn't work for me. It feels like a brutal fill-in. I think this whole story could have been done in an issue or two.
    The Entire LR series was unnecessary (unlike HR). I said it before and I say it again. This could have been done with just Peter versus Norman ( Norman as Kindred), or use just those two and add MJ and Harry and force Norman to kill Harry. Either would have been preferable to this story. I am projecting some kind of meh ending like ( Harry as Kindred was) or a Clone Saga style WTF convoluted ending.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 12-27-2020 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    The Entire LR series was unnecessary (unlike HR). I said it before and I say it again. This could have been done with just Peter versus Norman ( Norman as Kindred), or use just those two and add MJ and Harry and force Norman to kill Harry. Either would have been preferable to this story. I am projecting some kind of meh ending like ( Harry as Kindred was) or a Clone Saga style WTF convoluted ending.
    That sounds more boring and less imaginative to me. I gravitate to stories that are not straightforward though.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionaryFan View Post
    It was just a stupid and dangerous decision making a deal with the devil. As Dr. Strange says... did he really think there'd be no consequences for this? Did he really think this would help Aunt May? May's soul in danger now of going to hell... not to mention MJ's soul. Maybe Peter didn't think of all that... but he should have.
    That's a good point as well. He didn't just damn himself, he might well have damned both the women he loved most. Hell, Mephisto made it clear, at least in Spider-Man/Deadpool by Joe Kelly, that he wasn't done with Peter yet and regarded the marriage to Mary Jane as more of a "down payment."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

i do know that May wouldnt want Peter to do a deal with Mehipsto to save her life. If i want anyone to learn about omd its her
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    i do know that May wouldnt want Peter to do a deal with Mehipsto to save her life. If i want anyone to learn about omd its her
    Hell, The One Above All, a.k.a. God, tried to help Peter see that she was at peace and ready to reunite with (Uncle) Ben, but no . . . so, yeah, I could see her being severely disappointed in Peter for that deal, even more so than when she found out he "plagiarized" Doctor Octopus in the first issue of this run.

During the Spider-Girl run did we not see how Peter's life would have turned out if he never made the deal? On the other hand maybe it is because of the deal that all these multi Universe events are happening.
    Hail Hydra!

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    During the Spider-Girl run did we not see how Peter's life would have turned out if he never made the deal? On the other hand maybe it is because of the deal that all these multi Universe events are happening.
    Didn't Aunt May die naturally though in the MC2? The reason the deal with Mephisto came about was that Fisk hired someone to assassinate her and Mary Jane and May was the one shot.
    Last edited by Pattern_Maker; 12-29-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Look, I get it, making a pact with the Devil is many things: a stupidity, an irresposability.... But in Peter's case, I can't see it as a sin.
    LOLLLLL all right, I see someone needs to brush up on their theology a bit. =)
    "Mutationem Aeternum"
    Krakoan and Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's a good point as well. He didn't just damn himself, he might well have damned both the women he loved most. Hell, Mephisto made it clear, at least in Spider-Man/Deadpool by Joe Kelly, that he wasn't done with Peter yet and regarded the marriage to Mary Jane as more of a "down payment."
    Even without that story, in OMD itself Mephisto implies that taking the marriage is just step one, to eventually get Peter's soul in a way Mephisto would prefer:

https://i.imgur.com/tUYbEKy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zOgryUl.png

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Hell, The One Above All, a.k.a. God, tried to help Peter see that she was at peace and ready to reunite with (Uncle) Ben, but no . . . so, yeah, I could see her being severely disappointed in Peter for that deal, even more so than when she found out he "plagiarized" Doctor Octopus in the first issue of this run.
    That's not how it happened, as TOAA only says that Peter has worth since he saved so many people, and to have faither, it's Sensational#39 that implies this when Peter talks with aunt May via Madame Web.

Like I pointed out before, Sensational was surprisingly optmistic right before OMD, issue#39 has aunt May telling Peter trying to accept she's going to die, issue#40 has TOAA talking to Peter so he tries to have faith, and the Annual has that story that is at its core "Peter and MJ love each other very much", I'm pretty that reading that, then going directly into OMD, only made the impact worse for people who read Sensational.

Quote Originally Posted by tv horror View Post
    Spider-Girl happened in a world where Peter retired during the Gathering of Five, and I think the "May" they found was Mayday instead of aunt May, so yeah, the big change happened a lot earlier, and OMD never happened there, as Peter's secret identity was still a secret.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Even without that story, in OMD itself Mephisto implies that taking the marriage is just step one, to eventually get Peter's soul in a way Mephisto would prefer:

https://i.imgur.com/tUYbEKy.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zOgryUl.png

That's not how it happened, as TOAA only says that Peter has worth since he saved so many people, and to have faither, it's Sensational#39 that implies this when Peter talks with aunt May via Madame Web.

Like I pointed out before, Sensational was surprisingly optmistic right before OMD, issue#39 has aunt May telling Peter trying to accept she's going to die, issue#40 has TOAA talking to Peter so he tries to have faith, and the Annual has that story that is at its core "Peter and MJ love each other very much", I'm pretty that reading that, then going directly into OMD, only made the impact worse for people who read Sensational.

Spider-Girl happened in a world where Peter retired during the Gathering of Five, and I think the "May" they found was Mayday instead of aunt May, so yeah, the big change happened a lot earlier, and OMD never happened there, as Peter's secret identity was still a secret.
    Thanks for the clarification and correction on those pre-OMD Sensational Spider-Man issues.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    ... the Annual has that story that is at its core "Peter and MJ love each other very much", I'm pretty that reading that, then going directly into OMD, only made the impact worse for people who read Sensational.
    Matt Fraction did in fact write the Annual as a pre-emptive protest against OMD.

Considering you did such a good job for Sensational Spiderman Annual #1, what do you think of MJ and Peter Parker’s relationship?

FRACTION: It was sort of dirty pool because I knew One More Day was coming. But I took the shot and it was great.

I don’t know if Peter Parker was the best marvel character to be married, and I understand both sides of the argument. When his marriage with MJ worked, it worked very well, but sometimes it seemed like people didn’t know what to do with MJ. Way too often MJ would be relegated to hostage or obstacle. Too seldom did she play the role of supporter, friend or nurturer. I thought it was possible to do all of that, and maybe it’s a cheap shot, but I took it.

http://www.herebegeeks.com/comics/3-...matt-fraction/
    For those who don't know, "dirty pool" basically means cheap hustling tactics, or cheating, or being wily and tricky...in this context, it's Fraction admitting that he used his first chance to writing Spider-Man as a deliberate way to undermine the direction he knew editorial was going towards.

He also wrote a story that's an all-time great, significantly better than any run that followed.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 12-29-2020 at 03:24 PM.