Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Do you believe in the afterlife?

Do you believe in the afterlife? If so, what is your concept of the afterlife?

I expect that the afterlife will be pretty much the same as the prelife.

Just longer.

Not that you will notice.

Nope. For me such beliefs is just good ol' human ego speaking loudly.

We are sooooo special that we can't just disappear like that, no, we are way too cool, we have to life forever!!

Well, i don't think so. But good news is that we aren't even going to notice anything.

I know it for sure, i haven't existed for billion of years and didn't even know it till i was born!!

For me, being a christian, I believe in a heaven and a hell.

Quote Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
    For me, being a christian, I believe in a heaven and a hell.
    Personally i can't really understand such concepts as heaven or hell.

For what crime should one be punished forever? Does an endless punishment even mean anything? And vice-versa, what kind of good action is worth a never ending happiness?

And while we are it, what does that even mean? Constantly happy? Cause i was a nice guy during 60 or 70 years i would deserve such a thing?

I don't know, it doesn't make any sense to me. A punishment without forgiveness, a reward without purpose.

I’ve seen too many ghosts and other things so i -can’t- not believe theres something after this.

Mighty Member

Unfortunately there is no scientific empirical evidence to support an afterlife...despite having a what one would call a supernatural ghostly experience. So although my heart says fingers crossed, my logic says no.

BANNED

I am an atheist.

So no.

I was religious in a time of my life and interested in the afterlife and so on, but as time passed the appeal of the afterlife faded and with that the promise of one.

Astonishing Member

No but I wish I did. The thought of my life ending is depressing.

No, I see no evidence of anything supernatural.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I pray to God literally that there is.

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    I expect that the afterlife will be pretty much the same as the prelife.

Just longer.

Not that you will notice.
    Pretty much my current reasoning, whatever was before will come after.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Retired

The operative word here is "believe." I don't know that I believe anything. You don't need to believe in oxygen to breathe. Do I believe in science or do I just think science seems to explain a lot of things?

So I doubt that I have any real belief in anything.

People who are so resolute that there is no after life or that there is an after life strike me strange. How can you know something that you can't know? I think those who are most emphatic that they don't believe in the after life are lying, to themselves if no one else. To exist is to be in a state of always existing. To not exist is not something we can really imagine, because it's imagining not imagining. Maybe through some deep meditation, there are people that achieve that state of mind. But it makes no sense to me that you can envision a nothing. There is always something you have in mind. So even if the science says that life after death is impossible, your body can't feel that. Your body always feels that it will keep existing.

I feel that my way of thinking is the most scientific. Because science never says, we have all the answers, it's done, case solved. Science always asks more questions and never arrives at definitive answers. That's why I think a lot of the atheist philosophers are full of malarkey, because they use science to buttress their arguments. If they were really scientific in their thinking, they wouldn't make that mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    Unfortunately there is no scientific empirical evidence to support an afterlife...despite having a what one would call a supernatural ghostly experience. So although my heart says fingers crossed, my logic says no.
    One: Science deals in the understanding of the natural universe, I've had the pleasure of working with scientist of many religions who have a strong belief in an after life. The idea of evidence needed to support an idea out of nature is not in the realm of science and more in the real of "faith". The afterlife is metaphysics which means that it is unfalsifiable and unable to be scientifically studied.

Two: Science does not go around proving things. Rather it uses a methodology which can disprove claims which make specific predictions. I always go to Flat Earthers on this one, In a debate (or as close to one as a flat earther will get into) Mark Sargent (Flat Earth Overlord) was told by a Physicists "I can't prove that the earth is round". Sargent thought he had him on this one but, no. You can not disprove that the earth is round in shape as you can that is is flat, with that we make a prediction that it is round in shape. This was done way before we could send cameras into orbit and take pictures of the earth. Science has not disproven the after life due to its unfalsifiability.

In logical form: X is true (when X cannot possibly be demonstrated to be false)
    in this case:
    X= no afterlife (cannot be demonstrated false)
    X= afterlife (cannot be demonstrated false)
    Meaning X cannot be determined by science.

To the main question. Do I believe in an afterlife?
    I would like to, I think most people would, but no I don't. The concept is not something that I can grasp as having any meaning to existence in a pantheism type of belief.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

I feel that my way of thinking is the most scientific. Because science never says, we have all the answers, it's done, case solved. Science always asks more questions and never arrives at definitive answers. That's why I think a lot of the atheist philosophers are full of malarkey, because they use science to buttress their arguments. If they were really scientific in their thinking, they wouldn't make that mistake.
    Atheist philosophers as Einstein put it are "crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth" and main target are the Abrahamic conceptions of belief. Yet String Theory and Biocentrism have of people within those studies theorizes the possibility of an afterlife. The Afterlife can be more than a "religious thing".
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 12-09-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

How death doesn't make sense, from a scientific perspective:

People Watching is a pretty awesome series.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine