Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thought this mini had been finished a long time ago.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I'm fascinated by this mini, lol. Mostly because it was a complete trainwreck, and the ending's implications are actually horrifying. We'll probably never see this universe again unless they do another Spider-Verse type event and I can't imagine these version of the characters being given a large role in such an event.
    Last edited by Kevinroc; 12-11-2020 at 04:08 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    At least it's finally over.

I dropped this abomination after issue two. That said, I had a very hard time holding on once they fridged MJ. I know the Abrams boys wanted to tell a father & son story but killing off the iconic mother in such a disrespectful and brutal fashion just to get her out of the way was an atrocious choice.
    A terrible story. It'll go down and remembered as such.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I'm fascinated by this mini, lol. Mostly because it was a complete trainwreck, and the ending's implications are actually horrifying. We'll probably never see this universe again unless they do another Spider-Verse type event and I can't imagine these version of the characters being given a large role in such an event.
    Probably not. There were bits that might have worked out in a better-written story, but this . . . sadly wasn't it. To think, some people were complaining that future-set stories focused on Peter's offspring always had said offspring being a daughter and the one time one of those stories focused on a son instead . . . it turned into this.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Obviously with need a third part, after OMT a sequel is just begging to be written and then we'll reach the rock bottom that would lead to our salvation
    Can't wait for the horrors that will make the level of character disrespect that OMD and Heroes in Crisis had look like timeless masterpieces .

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Apparently, J.J. was saving all his good writing for "Rise of Skywalker."
    Honestly, it could be better for Rise of Skywalker's "good" writing to be here, 'cause at least we could get another Reign, an alternate universe with a hilariously bad story, but what we got isn't even that fun, just a bland story.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I think they would just kill off Benjamin in an event like that, and fans wouldn't even recognize him, or care if he dies lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Probably not. There were bits that might have worked out in a better-written story, but this . . . sadly wasn't it. To think, some people were complaining that future-set stories focused on Peter's offspring always had said offspring being a daughter and the one time one of those stories focused on a son instead . . . it turned into this.
    Kinda funny that Peter's future kids became less interesting over time, 'cause while Annie is okay, most of RYV is rather forgettable, and Mayday has more going on for her as a character and power set, and Benjamin, uh, yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Can't wait for the horrors that will make the level of character disrespect that OMD and Heroes in Crisis had look like timeless masterpieces .

Honestly, it could be better for Rise of Skywalker's "good" writing to be here, 'cause at least we could get another Reign, an alternate universe with a hilariously bad story, but what we got isn't even that fun, just a bland story.

I think they would just kill off Benjamin in an event like that, and fans wouldn't even recognize him, or care if he dies lol.

Kinda funny that Peter's future kids became less interesting over time, 'cause while Annie is okay, most of RYV is rather forgettable, and Mayday has more going on for her as a character and power set, and Benjamin, uh, yeah...
    In slight fairness to Annie, RYV wasn't so much about her as it was about her and her parents fighting crime as a family unit, whereas Mayday was a solo heroine . . . and her fandom was passionate enough to sustain her through multiple intended cancellations.

In slight fairness to Annie, RYV wasn't so much about her as it was about her and her parents fighting crime as a family unit, whereas Mayday was a solo heroine . . . and her fandom was passionate enough to sustain her through multiple intended cancellations.
    True, but good characters don't need too long to stand out, while the complexity needs time, to simply be interesting can be done in minutes with a great execution.

Also noticed that Peter's future kids tend to have significantly less issues than the previous one, maybe the next one will only have one issue, and the one after that will be cancelled before a single issue is out .

To be honest during Jody Houder run, it became less about the family and more about Annie, wich was kind of dissapointing, really that always went to directions that i didn't want to go. But to fair, it was better executed than i expected, is an ok title with some dissapointing moments.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

To be honest during Jody Houder run, it became less about the family and more about Annie, wich was kind of dissapointing, really that always went to directions that i didn't want to go. But to fair, it was better executed than i expected, is an ok title with some dissapointing moments.
    Jody Houder's run, was that with the aged up Annie? 'cause yeah it became rather bland around that time, though even under Conway it was less interesting after a while... Think Conway bitched about editorial interfering too much?

And yeah, the shift into making Annie the only protagonist was obvious, I think the last issue I read had Peter and MJ essentially be Annie's cheerleaders, and I didn't read the rest 'cause it was too boring.

Jody Houder's run, was that with the aged up Annie? 'cause yeah it became rather bland around that time, though even under Conway it was less interesting after a while... Think Conway bitched about editorial interfering too much?

And yeah, the shift into making Annie the only protagonist was obvious, I think the last issue I read had Peter and MJ essentially be Annie's cheerleaders, and I didn't read the rest 'cause it was too boring.
    Yeah that's the one, it actually started decent (for me at least) and the Peter/MJ vacation is pretty good, but overall it wasn't anything great. Also, i was so dissapointed with the lacl of clones in the last story, i can't believe that an Spider-Man comic would do that to me.

Conway didn't even stay a year, Stegman filled the last 3 issues before the time skip. Conway also said that he never wanted to do the Venom story but they mandated it to raise sales. Overall, i consider RYV a weird experiment, decent enought but nothing that i'm too crazy about, i would have prefer just an Spider-Man book where Peter happened to be a father and husband, not an Spider-Family but the final result could have been much worse.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Yeah that's the one, it actually started decent (for me at least) and the Peter/MJ vacation is pretty good, but overall it wasn't anything great. Also, i was so dissapointed with the lacl of clones in the last story, i can't believe that an Spider-Man comic would do that to me.

Conway didn't even stay a year, Stegman filled the last 3 issues before the time skip. Conway also said that he never wanted to do the Venom story but they mandated it to raise sales. Overall, i consider RYV a weird experiment, decent enought but nothing that i'm too crazy about, i would have prefer just an Spider-Man book where Peter happened to be a father and husband, not an Spider-Family but the final result could have been much worse.
    Curious about the lack of clones myself, though Mister Sinister going out of his usual wheelhouse to mess with the Spider-Family was an interesting twist.

Wait, they used Mr. Sinister and there were no clones? Shocking lol.

Conway didn't even stay a year, Stegman filled the last 3 issues before the time skip. Conway also said that he never wanted to do the Venom story but they mandated it to raise sales.
    Actually funny he disliked making the Venom story, it was one of the better issues, or at least I think it was...

Overall, i consider RYV a weird experiment, decent enought but nothing that i'm too crazy about, i would have prefer just an Spider-Man book where Peter happened to be a father and husband, not an Spider-Family but the final result could have been much worse.
    It was certainly an idea different from Spider-Girl at least, don't really care too much about a super-powered MJ myself, but it's some alternate universe so whatever, I'll always try to enjoy something if I bother reading it, and it was fun enough at its best, really bland at its worst...

Curious about the lack of clones myself, though Mister Sinister going out of his usual wheelhouse to mess with the Spider-Family was an interesting twist.
    I actually thought "Mr. Sinister again?!" when I saw him, that's because I had read X-Men/Spider-man, which shows Spidey's connection with X-Men over the years and retconning some connections between them between stories, and Mr. Sinister was there and there was a Kraven clone called Xraven who had some powers from the original 5 X-Men, pretty sure optic blasts were included... Anyways, there's also Spider-Man & The X-Men where Spidey becomes a teacher at that Jean Grey school for whatever reason, and he deals with Mr. Sinister there again, and I read those a few days or weeks before RYV showed Mr. Sinisters, so seeing him again surprised me lol.

It was actually funny to see an X-Men villain be someone who was a pest to Spidey a few times, and it's another guy who likes to make clones, Spidey is just cursed.

Also, he made the Sinister's Six:

And I just love that pun.

Thought it ended okay, although I will concede that the scenes with Spider-Man and Wolverine discussing that they might be dealing with clones (and their personal experiences with clones different reactions) and MJ talking to Annie about parts of the family tree from the Clone Saga were probably the most interesting it got beyond "fun superheroics"

Conway didn't even stay a year, Stegman filled the last 3 issues before the time skip. Conway also said that he never wanted to do the Venom story but they mandated it to raise sales.
    Recall he wanted to use the F4 but got assigned to use the X-Men instead. I actually really liked the Venom story, though.

Overall, i consider RYV a weird experiment, decent enought but nothing that i'm too crazy about, i would have prefer just an Spider-Man book where Peter happened to be a father and husband, not an Spider-Family but the final result could have been much worse.
    I was sorry to see the series end and thought it being a family thing did give it an unique identity beyond just being normal Spider-Man in a new status quo, but I did go it understanding it was niche enough that it wasn't going to be a long-runner.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Wait, they used Mr. Sinister and there were no clones? Shocking lol.

Actually funny he disliked making the Venom story, it was one of the better issues, or at least I think it was...

It was certainly an idea different from Spider-Girl at least, don't really care too much about a super-powered MJ myself, but it's some alternate universe so whatever, I'll always try to enjoy something if I bother reading it, and it was fun enough at its best, really bland at its worst...

I actually thought "Mr. Sinister again?!" when I saw him, that's because I had read X-Men/Spider-man, which shows Spidey's connection with X-Men over the years and retconning some connections between them between stories, and Mr. Sinister was there and there was a Kraven clone called Xraven who had some powers from the original 5 X-Men, pretty sure optic blasts were included... Anyways, there's also Spider-Man & The X-Men where Spidey becomes a teacher at that Jean Grey school for whatever reason, and he deals with Mr. Sinister there again, and I read those a few days or weeks before RYV showed Mr. Sinisters, so seeing him again surprised me lol.

It was actually funny to see an X-Men villain be someone who was a pest to Spidey a few times, and it's another guy who likes to make clones, Spidey is just cursed.

Also, he made the Sinister's Six:

And I just love that pun.
    Yeah, i also wasn't sure how his genetic experiment was able to tap into Annie's Spider-Sense. They also revealed some huge bombs, like Annie being their second child in that universe, Mayday and Ben Reilly deaths to confirm that the 90s Clone Saga actually happened, first time in Spider-Man's story when i said "you know, this story probably would have been better with clones" lol.

The Venom issue was pretty good yeah, sometimes editorial mandates aren't bad.

Don't get me wrong, i said that my expirience with the book was overall positive (even with the low points i don't regret it) and i'm glad that i read it, it just wasn't what i expected.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Thought it ended okay, although I will concede that the scenes with Spider-Man and Wolverine discussing that they might be dealing with clones (and their personal experiences with clones different reactions) and MJ talking to Annie about parts of the family tree from the Clone Saga were probably the most interesting it got beyond "fun superheroics"

Recall he wanted to use the F4 but got assigned to use the X-Men instead. I actually really liked the Venom story, though.

I was sorry to see the series end and thought it being a family thing did give it an unique identity beyond just being normal Spider-Man in a new status quo, but I did go it understanding it was niche enough that it wasn't going to be a long-runner.
    As a conclusion is fine, thought i think that the Spider-Girls mini from Spider-Geddon is the true conclusion of the story, especially with how Annie-centric Houser run is.

Make sense, Spider-Man has richer history with the Fantastic Four than with the X-Men, really his closest friend there is Wolverine and althought i enjoyed their banter, their friendship doesn't make a lot of sense.

Well 24 issues wasn't bad, it lasted longer than many AU tittles, thougth i don't expect to see much of that universe again sadly.

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona