Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Since my knowledge of Canary's history is mostly from Birds of Prey, and a couple issues of GA/BC from their marriage period, then a couple of the early 90s series, I don't know when Hester drew them before? Is that a series to check out for fans of Dinah?
    I know he drew a lot of Green Arrow from Quiver onwards, and Dinah did make frequent appearances from what I read.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I know he drew a lot of Green Arrow from Quiver onwards, and Dinah did make frequent appearances from what I read.
    What years were those? And is it worth checking out?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

What years were those? And is it worth checking out?
    ...I think until about 2002-2005?

I think it was a good year for Green Arrow, but I think it was 50/50 for Dinah depending on the writer (but that's always been true).

Interesting. I checked out the first couple of issues of the DC You series, and even though I finished it this year, I don't regret skipping the rest of it at all. It's not my Dinah at all.

As for Batgirl and the Birds of Prey - eh. I'm just happy we have the real team, and not the abomination we got with the n52.
    You know I read the latest two issues of Batgirl and the Birds of Prey to see if I was missing anything and couldn't help thinking how the first five New 52 issues were so much better. Starling was so cool and then it all fell apart.

I totally agree that the name change was unwarranted as well as unnecessarily divisive. I always read BoP for Black Canary and the Huntress anyway.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I never see Black Canary as the sidekick when she's with Ollie. I feel like most writers balance them out properly. I know people who got interested in Green Arrow because of her.

As for her DC You solo well it wasn't my cup of tea. I disliked mostly everything from that period and Dinah in a band is one of them. Simone's Dinah is obviously my favorite and I really enjoy Tom Taylor's Dinah. I wouldn't mind a mini written by him.

Well, I enjoyed her DCYOU solo but I totally agree on Taylor. I'd love to see him get that corner of the universe; Ollie and Dinah and Roy and so forth. I think he could do great things with it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Dinah had a pretty cool role in this weeks Catwoman/Tweety and Sylvester mashup comic! Both in the main story and the cartoony backup, Canary figures as Tweety's champion, and Simone gave her a ton of fun references both to her recent history as a rock star and her long history with the DCU, with Ted Grant getting a small but significant part! I went in suspicious, but came out loving it!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Dinah had a pretty cool role in this weeks Catwoman/Tweety and Sylvester mashup comic! Both in the main story and the cartoony backup, Canary figures as Tweety's champion, and Simone gave her a ton of fun references both to her recent history as a rock star and her long history with the DCU, with Ted Grant getting a small but significant part! I went in suspicious, but came out loving it!
    Sounds like a fun issue .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Sounds like a fun issue .
    Definitely was! I recommend it!

Don't know if this was already shared, but from Who's Who in the DC Universe #9 (May 1991):

Are people a fan of Sarah Byam's run from the early 90s? I've caught a few issues in bin sales, but I'd never heard of it before last year!

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Are people a fan of Sarah Byam's run from the early 90s? I've caught a few issues in bin sales, but I'd never heard of it before last year!
    I loved the "New Wings" mini series! The ongoing (12 issues lol) that followed started well enough, but lost steam quickly. And I don't think anyone has ever figured out just what the eff they were thinking with those last few issues!? Which issues did you pull from the bargain bin? Thoughts?

Thank god for Chuck Dixon; he managed to salvage what was left of Dinah and put her on track to becoming an A-lister! But DC couldn't leave well enough alone...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    I loved the "New Wings" mini series! The ongoing (12 issues lol) that followed started well enough, but lost steam quickly. And I don't think anyone has ever figured out just what the eff they were thinking with those last few issues!? Which issues did you pull from the bargain bin? Thoughts?

Thank god for Chuck Dixon; he managed to salvage what was left of Dinah and put her on track to becoming an A-lister! But DC couldn't leave well enough alone...
    I got issue 10, because it featured Huntress (proto Birds of Prey!), and then got issue 11 digitally to finish up the story. I thought it was fun, but I can see why it didn't last much longer.

Well, Dixon put her back on track, and then Simone took her to the next level...and then DC demanded that she become the leader of a team and marry Green Arrow, and it sucked.

Don't know the actress's previous work. I hope she's better than that chick from the Birds of Prey TV show, though. (I'm surprised they decided not to make Helena that black character, though, since she's black in the comics now)