Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

No, the fishnets do not work for her character imo. I have never subscribed to the "iconic" argument. I don't care if they're "iconic," they're still stupid and in no way fit her character. She's a street-level vigilante a lot of the time who frequently engages in strenuous physical activity, jumping and running around, and relies heavily on her hand to hand fighting skills. Sorry, but fishnets do not work for a character like that, they're pretty much the worst thing that she could possibly wear under those circumstances. Zatanna gets away with it because she rarely engages in direct combat (instead relying on her magic) and she's a showman who has a flamboyant streak. It's not the same thing. If the only justification that people can come up with is that "they're iconic" then they don't have much of an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    No, the fishnets do not work for her character imo. I have never subscribed to the "iconic" argument. I don't care if they're "iconic," they're still stupid and in no way fit her character. She's a street-level vigilante a lot of the time who frequently engages in strenuous physical activity, jumping and running around, and relies heavily on her hand to hand fighting skills. Sorry, but fishnets do not work for a character like that, they're pretty much the worst thing that she could possibly wear under those circumstances. Zatanna gets away with it because she rarely engages in direct combat (instead relying on her magic) and she's a showman who has a flamboyant streak. It's not the same thing. If the only justification that people can come up with is that "they're iconic" then they don't have much of an argument.
    BC also has a bit of a flamboyant streak as well. Yes, many superheroine's are heavily sexualized and stripperific but just having fishnets alone doesn't put it on the same level as say Starfire's outfits.

Under the right artists, the fishnets can look bad ass and powerful:

And for most of her career, they were drawn to look like blue pants with a fishnet pattern on them:

Compare that to something like this:

Which just screams "c'mere handsome, let me and I will sing you a 'song'." Whereas in the first 3 pics I posted, it illustrates the point that Black Canary is a major bad ass and also likes to burn terrible costumes. It's about what the artists want to convey with the picture.

However, I am not opposed to Black Canary wearing pants. For instance, I like this version of her costume:

I am trying to make a case for the fishnets for character's like Black Canary who actually has a bit of flair and flamboyance to her. I think the fishnets work for her specifically. However, if we are talking about characters like Katana and Huntress fighting crime in sexy outfits or Carol Ferris's stripperific Star Sapphire costumes then I would agree with you, as I have in the Carol Ferris thread, but I think we should look at things both from a larger trends as well as from a case by case basis.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    And for most of her career, they were drawn to look like blue pants with a fishnet pattern on them:

[/COLOR]
    If any of Dinah's costumes deserve to be known as iconic, that's the one. The latter-day outfits featuring fishnets do not.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    If any of Dinah's costumes deserve to be known as iconic, that's the one. The latter-day outfits featuring fishnets do not.
    I think aside from the few duds (like the costume she literally burned on a cover and the current Nu 52 one), most of her outfits are awesome. I think her best costume was the one she wore in Simone's BOP run followed by her costume during the Dixon BOP era. The above is a distant third for me.

Most variations of Black Canary's costume before the New 52 were slightly tweaked versions of the original design. I also think that the entire outfit is partially meant to make her enemies underestimate her fighting capabilities. The third design posted by John Venus does also look pretty cool, but I suppose that it might be a bit impractical for hand to hand-combat if her pants are a little baggy.

/edit: I'm referring to the costume that's based on her New 52 look, not the one she lit on fire.
    Last edited by Alastor; 05-13-2014 at 08:34 AM.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

One of my favorite Canary artists ever is Alex Toth. I found some old Adventure Comics digests that reprinted stories and had a run of Black Canary shorts in it. Absolutely love his work any way, but his Canary was beautiful. Ed Benes is probably my second favorite artist for her. I loved the slightly adjusted costume he gave her during his run on Birds of Prey, really liked the long coat he gave her, which might have been at Gail Simone's request knowing her interests in oriental influences. Chuck Dixon built an incredible foundation for a strong character who was confident and capable and Gail just made her awesome. One of the things I liked about Gail's run with the characters is that she made her canary cry not just an ability but a powerful force, like using an elephant gun to take out a fly type powerful.
    Sadly the New 52 has really taken a lot out of the character. She lost all her connections, her legacy aspects, her confidence, her natural fighting abilities...she's sadly become rather generic. I had a lot of high hopes when Marx took over the book, she's proven to be an excellent writer in the past but sadly she's not exhibited any of that here.

man when are they gonna let her on the JL she needs to interac with wonder woman and the others more often.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    man when are they gonna let her on the JL she needs to interac with wonder woman and the others more often.
    Quoted in agreement. Hell I'd settle for JLU at least as a stepping stone towards meeting the Wonder Woman and the others.

I'd also wish that Black Canary joined the League. I haven't read New 52 BOP past the first TPB, did they ever get rid of her plot-device husband?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    How do the fishnets not fit her character? Black Canary has always been the classic pulp novel glamour girl, image is vital to making her work and is far more important than practicality. If you don't like that kind of character, there are plenty of others out there that would suit your tastes better, but turning Dinah into another generic gritty martial arts character is doing her some great disservice.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Head View Post
    I'd also wish that Black Canary joined the League. I haven't read New 52 BOP past the first TPB, did they ever get rid of her plot-device husband?
    Nope. Still dragging that mess out...I believe it is the focus of the current arc.

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I'll keep catching up on pre-Flashpoint BOP material.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Head View Post
    He woke up from a coma after BC gave him an injection from a serum that Raj Al Ghul gave her. It was a partial payment as he told her he'd give her the rest to fully cure him if she him kill an old woman (can't think of her name now lol) but of course she didn't stand down.

The husband can only partially speak it seemed.

That's all I can remember for now lol.

What do you guys think of Dinah's portrayal in Justice League Unlimited? I enjoyed all of her major appearances in that series, it was also that show that introduced me to her character. And Morena Baccarin sure nailed her voice.