Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Black Angel View Post
    man when are they gonna let her on the JL she needs to interac with wonder woman and the others more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Quoted in agreement. Hell I'd settle for JLU at least as a stepping stone towards meeting the Wonder Woman and the others.
    Wonder Woman and Black Canary did team up in Gail Simone's Wonder Woman run. I think it was in her BOP run that they sparred with each other.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Wonder Woman and Black Canary did team up in Gail Simone's Wonder Woman run. I think it was in her BOP run that they sparred with each other.

I was thinking more new-52 but thanks for letting me know about that.

yea i know but i was talking for the new 52 but yea she needs to be on one of the big teams.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lemon Head View Post
    What do you guys think of Dinah's portrayal in Justice League Unlimited? I enjoyed all of her major appearances in that series, it was also that show that introduced me to her character. And Morena Baccarin sure nailed her voice.
    Black Canary was definitely one of the highlights of JLU for me, her attitude and demeanor were spot on and her street level escapades were a nice departure from the endless fights against world destroying whatsits that occupied most of the rest of the show. Her entire look was very well done as well, even if they gave her plain grey granny stockings instead of her iconic fishnets. I presume the show was computer animated, so it must have been a style choice.

What do you guys think of Dinah's portrayal in Justice League Unlimited? I enjoyed all of her major appearances in that series, it was also that show that introduced me to her character. And Morena Baccarin sure nailed her voice.
    While I love Birds of Prey v. 1, Justice League Unlimited has been the best version of her character that I've seen. The clip you included is one of the reasons why. She is just so professional and competent.
    Pull: Batgirl, Worlds' Finest, Sensation, Batman '66, MLP

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Black Canary was definitely one of the highlights of JLU for me, her attitude and demeanor were spot on and her street level escapades were a nice departure from the endless fights against world destroying whatsits that occupied most of the rest of the show. Her entire look was very well done as well, even if they gave her plain grey granny stockings instead of her iconic fishnets. I presume the show was computer animated, so it must have been a style choice.
    It was both hand drawn animation and CGI.

According to Timm, fishnets are pretty much impossible to do on animation. The style is to be as simple as possible so it can be drawn as quickly as possible for animation with as little off-model moments as possible. You have characters who are moving with constantly changing perspective and you have to make sure the patterns are consistent. Zatanna also had to swap out her fishnets for stockings as well.

They also didn't have fishnet stockings in subsequent animated appearances (Brave and the Bold, Green Arrow Showcase, Young Justice) but I don't mind the "plain grey granny stockings" at all. I also liked how most of the hand-to-hand fights in JLU were choreographed pretty well, especially in "The Cat and the Canary" and "Grudge Match".
    Though she might have had fishnets in her DCAU cameos when Bruce Timm implemented hookers wearing her costume.
    Last edited by Alastor; 05-15-2014 at 02:45 AM.
    "Tell me there's something better. Go ahead, try."

Incredible Member PennyDreadful's Avatar

I miss the Dinah of yore to be honest. New 52 Dinah just isn't as fun.

They also didn't have fishnet stockings in subsequent animated appearances (Brave and the Bold, Green Arrow Showcase, Young Justice) but I don't mind the "plain grey granny stockings" at all. I also liked how most of the hand-to-hand fights in JLU were choreographed pretty well, especially in "The Cat and the Canary" and "Grudge Match".
    Yeah, the fights were really well done on JLU. Though imo, it didn't really kick off until Lauren Montogomery started directing the DTV movies.

Though she might have had fishnets in her DCAU cameos when Bruce Timm implemented hookers wearing her costume.
    See for yourself :

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF...j/media/49.jpg

The Black Canary doppelganger made another appearance in the animated short 'Chase Me' which appeared in the Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman movie.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8237/chaseme.jpg

For those not in the know:

It was an unused character design for Black Canary. They wanted to use her for B:TAS and TNBA but couldn't. She was meant appear in the episode 'Batgirl Returns' but the execes insisted that Robin appear in every episode of the latter half of B:TAS so they had to cut out BC from it. According to Dini, the team believes that BC was around during the time of TNBA even if she didn't make an appearance.

Yeah, the fights were really well done on JLU. Though imo, it didn't really kick off until Lauren Montogomery started directing the DTV movies.
    I agree, they were really able to cut loose with the DTVs. But you have to appreciate what they managed to pull off with a cartoon that's subjected to TV standards & practices. Heck, Spidey wasn't even allowed to throw a punch in Spider-Man TAS.

See for yourself :

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF...j/media/49.jpg

The Black Canary doppelganger made another appearance in the animated short 'Chase Me' which appeared in the Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman movie.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/8237/chaseme.jpg

For those not in the know:

It was an unused character design for Black Canary. They wanted to use her for B:TAS and TNBA but couldn't. She was meant appear in the episode 'Batgirl Returns' but the execes insisted that Robin appear in every episode of the latter half of B:TAS so they had to cut out BC from it. According to Dini, the team believes that BC was around during the time of TNBA even if she didn't make an appearance.

There should be another cameo in one TNBA episode (either the Roxy Rocket episode or "Torch Song") where Batman is trying to collect some info on the villain of the episode. He gets a call from Batgirl who provides him with information and then the camera pans out, revealing two hookers as her sources.

I recall that Paul Dini said that the creators were planning to have an episode of The Adventures of Batman & Robin focussing on a Catwoman/Black Canary team which got rejected by the network executives because it didn't include Robin. So that's how Batgirl Returns came about.

I agree, they were really able to cut loose with the DTVs. But you have to appreciate what they managed to pull off with a cartoon that's subjected to TV standards & practices. Heck, Spidey wasn't even allowed to throw a punch in Spider-Man TAS.
    That was in the 90's. By the time JLU rolled out in the 00's, we were well past the notion of 'superheroes can't throw a punch and criminals can't use real guns' phase.

There should be another cameo in one TNBA episode (either the Roxy Rocket episode or "Torch Song") where Batman is trying to collect some info on the villain of the episode. He gets a call from Batgirl who provides him with information and then the camera pans out, revealing two hookers as her sources.

I recall that Paul Dini said that the creators were planning to have an episode of The Adventures of Batman & Robin focussing on a Catwoman/Black Canary team which got rejected by the network executives because it didn't include Robin. So that's how Batgirl Returns came about.
    Yeah, there was that one too but I can't pin down the episode either.

Yeah, that's what I said in my initial post.

That was in the 90's. By the time JLU rolled out in the 00's, we were well past the notion of 'superheroes can't throw a punch and criminals can't use real guns' phase.
    BS&P seem to be imposed arbitrarily. In Batman TAS, a lot of people got punched in the face while Spider-Man TAS was heavily censored in spite of both shows airing roughly about the same time. JLU still had lots of rayguns, as well as Spectacular Spider-Man and Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

BS&P seem to be imposed arbitrarily. In Batman TAS, a lot of people got punched in the face while Spider-Man TAS was heavily censored in spite of both shows airing roughly about the same time. JLU still had lots of rayguns, as well as Spectacular Spider-Man and Earth's Mightiest Heroes.
    The creators of B:TAS opposed the heavy censors whilst the creators of SP:TAS mostly gave in to it.

JLU is more sci fi and so is Spec SM and A:EMH. JLU still had more than few eps which showed real guns being used especially the street level eps. The Solomon Grundy origin episode shows Cyrus Gold getting gunned down by tommy guns but they cut to his shadow reeling in pain as he got shot which made the scene more artistic than showing his real body getting bloodied.

You're right, but we might be getting a little off track here.

One of the most iconic Black Canary covers: