Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Time to tally the votes!

1 vote each: CaptCleghorn, Conn Seanery, foxley, Kai "the spy", MRP, SquirrelMan
    2 votes each: ChadH, Englehart Humperdinck, K7P5V, Rob Allen, Surf

and, in a FOUR WAY tie with three votes each: Ajax_X, ed2962, Iron Maiden, Javasaurus

We'll need someone who hasn't voted to drop in and break the deadlock!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Oh crap it’s too early for this kind of dramatic tension!!!!!!!!!111

Kicking the thread for attention to get someone to vote.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Kicking the thread for attention to get someone to vote.
    Oh lord I thought we had a winner. I can’t TAKE IT!!!!

Wow, and I always forget to vote, too. I don't know if i can take this kind of pressure. Um, Javasaurus.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

The winner is Javasaurus! With that classic Marvel Fanfare cover. Mr. Golden also did the interior artwork for that book.

Original cover art.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Congratulations to Javasaurus

And thanks for your votes Paul Bullion, Scott Taylor and Nschornhorst

As for me, oh well....

More art from Marvel Fanfare #1

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I think that is one of the few Marvel Fanfares I bought. IIRC it was sometimes hard to find at the newstand or the one LCS we had in our area.

Congratulations to Javasaurus for a marvelous cover with a fanfare of gold. The pages remind me of the old days of comics when Fanfare was more than just a vehicle for inventory material and the stories really were big deals. But a question I have about those days as opposed to current times is "Why do we talk about 'Bendis-Speak', but fail to mention 'Claremont-Speak'?" #fankidquestions

As to the peak of the week where the captain tells us all what he's learned this contest, he realizes Michael Golden was far more than just the Micronauts Guy. I mean, sure, he kew this, but but remained unaware of the true breath of the man's work. He also knew it was awesome as well. He also notes how Ka-Zar, Micronauts, and Moon Knight went to direct sales only with upgraded versions of paper. Seeing Ka-Zar with his Bruce Jones personality despite the Claremont-Speak drawn by Golden in another direct only book makes him nostalgic for the days when Marvel's special stuff really was special.

And appreciation and thanks to kjn for their vote. It is nice when someone recognizes T-Shirt quality covers (seriously, SOMEONE please get the joke or I will never shut up about it).

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think that is one of the few Marvel Fanfares I bought. IIRC it was sometimes hard to find at the newstand or the one LCS we had in our area.
    I believe Marvel Fanfare was a Direct Market only book.

Congrats, Javasaurus!!!!

And, just for the heck of it...:

Many thanks for the votes! This has been a fun week to participate; as I hadn't had much exposure to Golden's work.

I'll try to have a new contest up around noon; U.S. Central Time.
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    This. I've owned 2 of them and this was one. Good contest, I've never tripped over so many covers I had to change cause somebody beat me to it.

Sauron. Why the cloth? He's about 95% Ptero and that last 5% of a man must be all shame and speech.

Big up to the pair that voted the No Prize Book, I finally got around to reading my copy from languishing in my read pile for about 2 years.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

That story line was also collected into a small tpb when Marvel very rarely did that.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!