Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Default King in Black: Namor Mini-Series by Busiek, Dewey, Scharf !!!S P O I L E R S!!!

It's finally here! The first issue of KiB: Namor by Kurt Busiek, Benjamin Dewey, and Jonas Scharf. And it was good! Good enough to deserve it's own review thread. ;p

As an old school Namor fan, it was wonderful to see Busiek draw on the long history of Marvel's oldest character, meld it with his own additions the lore. My heart soared to see Lady Dorma in print again, and just as fierce and amazing as I remember her. But I'm also intrigued by the all female Swift Tide and how this team came to be. And Ambrose is a long overdue addition to Namor's history -- even if he is a scene stealer.

Those additions, and setting most of the story in the 1930s when Namor was a teenager, give this book a different tone than what many expect of a modern Namor book, IMO. I hope non-Namor fans, especially those that like teen superheros and a fun adventure story give it a try. Yes, the modern frame is a bit a dark, as to be expected in such a dark event, but that doesn't color the main story in the past .... yet.

Both Dewey and Scharf do a great job in creating appropriately different tones for their different eras, but their styles aren't radically different, so the book feels consistent. Dewey, as to be expected as the artist on Autumnlands, does a great job with the sea life, and the characters expressions. He fills the panels with exuberance and movement. Scharf doesn't let us forget that Namor IS underwater, in a weightless and dim environment.

I could go on and on, and probably will, but I'm curious to see what others, especially non-Namor fans, think about the book. And Ambrose.

I can't wait for the next book!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Whoa, I don't fill the events so I had no idea. I'm really grateful after also getting snapshots
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Whoa, I don't fill the events so I had no idea. I'm really grateful after also getting snapshots
    I was going to pass on the King In Black event also, as I really have no interest in Venom, but I could NOT pass up on this. I mean, Kurt Busiek writing a Namor book??? Take my money!

Also, it looks like this mini-series is going to deal mostly with 1930s Namor stuff. The modern frame will have some interaction with the event, but it will still stand on it's own.

There's a great interview with Busiek at Newsarama and in it he explains it much better than I do.

Nrama: How connected will this Namor limited series be to the main event?

Busiek: Well, the bulk of the story takes place long before King in Black, back in the '30s when Namor's still a teenager. But there are scenes set in the present day, providing a framing sequence to the whole thing — Jonas Scharf is drawing those — and they connect pretty directly to King In Black.

We're telling the origin story of characters who appear in the crossover, and there are scenes set during and after the crossover, so it's a pretty firm connection there.

But it's pretty carefully planned out so our series doesn't spoil the events of King in Black, and the main event won't spoil our series either. And once our book is collected on its own, it'll read fine as a self-contained story. So, whatever that adds up to, that's how connected we are.

The rest of the interview is here and well worth reading:

https://www.gamesradar.com/kurt-busi...-black-tie-in/
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

First off, you mentioned the present and past scenes and the differences between them even though the art is both beautiful and works seamlessly and honestly I feel it has so much to do with the color artist, who tweeted this earlier

NAMOR: KING IN BLACK Issue #1 is out today and I'm pumped that I got the chance to colour something underwater. Wanted to get the impression of dead coral in the present versus the vibrant Atlantean past. Please pick it up!

My thoughts on this book are just so positive, honestly this has so much new information just in the first issue alone. We have Attuma now being upgraded to a "prince" son of the Chieftain of the Chasm people, when before we only had fleeing references to him being the Chief/leader of the Trench Tribe. We have Krang! I was pretty shocked to see him there since we haven't seen him since the 2010 series. Krang is also shown in a positive light, liking Namor? giving him advice? It seems like Krang is Namor's adult supervision on their trip to the chasms. I can't help but fell Krang is always manipulating/has something up his sleeves (not that he wears any, lol).

Dorma was wonderful!!! She is beauty, she is grace, she will punch you in the face!

Overall the comic sets up what I've always wanted! A whole thriving political/background/people of different undersea nations. I often lamented how we would only have Atlanteans, maybe some merpeople, Attuma's rebel people, and the Lemurains. Now in additon there is hints of at least the: Imperials (Namor's people, city of Atlantis people), Chasm tribe, Lemurains, and other nations (?) I hope this adventure allows us to see more of the undersea world.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    Overall the comic sets up what I've always wanted! A whole thriving political/background/people of different undersea nations. I often lamented how we would only have Atlanteans, maybe some merpeople, Attuma's rebel people, and the Lemurains. Now in additon there is hints of at least the: Imperials (Namor's people, city of Atlantis people), Chasm tribe, Lemurains, and other nations (?) I hope this adventure allows us to see more of the undersea world.

So much I want to say, but I have to go somewhere.

However, I agree. It's awesome to see the undersea world flesh out more. There is a lot of new stuff, though, and I'm curious to see how / if Busiek is going to square it up with the bits we've gotten in the past. The Imperials is a good start. I think that's been referenced before, that Atlantis is an empire of various city states / communities. Is the Chief Wizard supposed to be the Logomancer from Stuart Moore's book? Or, the magic user on Swift Tide? Is Busiek going to tie into Moore's idea of the royals being the source / conduit of magic?

I know, I know. I'm trying to cram so many details and questions to be answered into this story, that really aren't necessary to the adventure we're going to see. So, regardless, I'm very curious about the background of the members of Swift Tide. I'm stealing your pic. ; p

I can't believe Busiek used the Eternal Deviants! I was wondering who that character was. I'm a bit torn about that, but it could be quite interesting, given the push the Eternals are getting.

Also, can I say, I love Ambrose's expressions. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    So much I want to say, but I have to go somewhere.

However, I agree. It's awesome to see the undersea world flesh out more. There is a lot of new stuff, though, and I'm curious to see how / if Busiek is going to square it up with the bits we've gotten in the past. The Imperials is a good start. I think that's been referenced before, that Atlantis is an empire of various city states / communities. Is the Chief Wizard supposed to be the Logomancer from Stuart Moore's book? Or, the magic user on Swift Tide? Is Busiek going to tie into Moore's idea of the royals being the source / conduit of magic?

I know, I know. I'm trying to cram so many details and questions to be answered into this story, that really aren't necessary to the adventure we're going to see. So, regardless, I'm very curious about the background of the members of Swift Tide. I'm stealing your pic.

I can't believe Busiek used the Eternal Deviants! I was wondering who that character was. I'm a bit torn about that, but it could be quite interesting, given the push the Eternals are getting.
    The wizard seems to be the Court Wizard of Atlantis, it seems as though Logomancers are not being mentioned (so far!) and the Court Wizard is called Syzandias (talking to Krang with the hat and staff) who is the grandfather of Sycorax, the Magician of the Swift Tide.

I also have so many questions, and hope we get more answers over the next 4 issues!

Also, can I say, I love Ambrose's expressions. LOL!
    I should definitely add Ambrose icons to my edits!

Yes!! Ambrose!

You know Krang is going to be a bad guy in this.

I wonder where is Fen? There's no way she'd let the warlord who led the party to abduct her from the Oracle and kill Leonard MacKenzie.

Yes!! Ambrose!

You know Krang is going to be a bad guy in this.

I wonder where is Fen? There's no way she'd let the warlord who led the party to abduct her from the Oracle and kill Leonard MacKenzie.
    I'm not sure if Krang will be the Big Bad, but he definitely is always shady, *keeps both eyes on him* Busiek hasn't confirmed if Fen or Tha-Korr will appear in the series yet but with a young Namor they are bound to show up, even if it's just a cameo. I feel like Krang is meant to be Namor and Dorma's chaperone while they were in among the Chasm Folk?

I'm not sure if Krang will be the Big Bad, but he definitely is always shady, *keeps both eyes on him* Busiek hasn't confirmed if Fen or Tha-Korr will appear in the series yet but with a young Namor they are bound to show up, even if it's just a cameo. I feel like Krang is meant to be Namor and Dorma's chaperone while they were in among the Chasm Folk?

Maybe. I don't know. I'm thinking he's part of the full diplomatic delegation that is there to sign the treaty -- obviously representing the military for Atlantis. I'm not clear on whether he was wanting to get rid of Namor at this point or not. He certainly couldn't do it openly.

Oh, and no. Krang definitely isn't the Big Bad. That's going to be something Knull related, I sure.

Maybe. I don't know. I'm thinking he's part of the full diplomatic delegation that is there to sign the treaty -- obviously representing the military for Atlantis. I'm not clear on whether he was wanting to get rid of Namor at this point or not. He certainly couldn't do it openly.
    Krang's enmity for Namor starts in the Silver Age.*

At the moment, he's a military commander of Atlantis, commanding the mission to the Chasm Folk. He has (at present) no reason to be mad at Namor and vice versa.

Now, later, when Namor vanishes for a while, Krang becomes interested in the by-then-grown-to-adulthood Dorma, and when Namor returns, Dorma hooks up with her old prince pal. Krang doesn't like it -- he never really had a chance with Dorma, but that's not how he sees it -- and he begins a long determination to undermine Namor and take over Atlantis.

So he's not a villain here at all; it's years before he'll become one.

kdb

*he did more villain-stuff in the 1940s too, but this story's set around 1931...
    Last edited by Kurt Busiek; 12-09-2020 at 09:51 PM.
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Busiek hasn't confirmed if Fen or Tha-Korr will appear in the series yet but with a young Namor they are bound to show up, even if it's just a cameo.
    Fen and Tha-Korr will indeed turn up.

But they're in Atlantis, and we're not, at least not yet.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

I was planning to avoid King In Black and everything linked to it but I will make an exception for this.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Mighty Member

Read the first issue and loved it! Busiek had me hooked after he revealed Dorma and Attuma would star in these series along Namor. Great to see lord Krang too. So refreshing to see Atlantis being explored and expanded, one of the few wishlist items all of us can agree about at the Namor thread. This take on Namor and Atlantis brings me memories of the great Avengers renaissance of the late 90's by Busiek and Perez when everything that was great about the series returned and everybody took notice that the Avengers could be as cool or cooler than the X-Men. Namor really needs this approach, I can only hope this leads to an ongoing. Thank you Mr. Busiek for your work on Namor. I am crossing my fingers hoping this leads to future Namor projects by you. A character as important as Namor needs rescue from the relative creative limbo he has been in recent years. I'm getting all excited reading you mention characters like llyra, Fen and Thakorr and looking forward to what you might reveal in future issues. Loved to see the interaction between Namor, Attuma, Dorma and Lord Krang this issue and looking forward to see how you show the way these relationships between characters evolve through the passage of time as the story progresses.

Ah Rev, Knull has no interest for me at all, I only have the barest understanding of Venom stuff. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Krang's enmity for Namor starts in the Silver Age.*

At the moment, he's a military commander of Atlantis, commanding the mission to the Chasm Folk. He has (at present) no reason to be mad at Namor and vice versa.

Now, later, when Namor vanishes for a while, Krang becomes interested in the by-then-grown-to-adulthood Dorma, and when Namor returns, Dorma hooks up with her old prince pal. Krang doesn't like it -- he never really had a chance with Dorma, but that's not how he sees it -- and he begins a long determination to undermine Namor and take over Atlantis.

So he's not a villain here at all; it's years before he'll become one.

kdb

*he did more villain-stuff in the 1940s too, but this story's set around 1931...
    How did you feel about Krang's heel turn in the Namor: The First Mutant series? If he didn't see Namor as an enemy before, would you think he would find a peace with Namor or continue to undermine him? (asking for my own curiosity unless you are saving that for a *crosses fingers* ongoing Namor solo series?) (I can dream!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    Fen and Tha-Korr will indeed turn up.

But they're in Atlantis, and we're not, at least not yet.

kdb
    Thanks for letting us know! I love Fen so much!