Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ImperiusWrecked View Post
    How did you feel about Krang's heel turn in the Namor: The First Mutant series?
    I don't know that I've read it, but Krang was a heel long before that.

If he didn't see Namor as an enemy before, would you think he would find a peace with Namor or continue to undermine him?
    Depends on the story the creators handling him wanted to tell, really.

But with a name like "Krang," I don't see him destined for heroism, I gotta say.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Busiek View Post
    I don't know that I've read it, but Krang was a heel long before that.

Depends on the story the creators handling him wanted to tell, really.

But with a name like "Krang," I don't see him destined for heroism, I gotta say.

kdb
    Thanks for the reply!
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Like others, I'm passing on KiB, but I must say that I like the new Imperial City characters. I wonder if the Chasm People hail from the Mariana Trench?

Anyone know where I can find an updated Marvel map showing all of the undersea kingdoms and/or tribe native lands?
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Like others, I'm passing on KiB, but I must say that I like the new Imperial City characters. I wonder if the Chasm People hail from the Mariana Trench?

Anyone know where I can find an updated Marvel map showing all of the undersea kingdoms and/or tribe native lands?
    That would explain how Garana, a Lemurian from the Pacific, was with the Chasm People, if the Chasm was the Marianas. But I think the Marianas is portrayed as inhospitable and not settled in the comics. I think there are some deep places / canyons around the Artic and Greenland. Plus, Attuma's people have usually been shown with territory in the North Atlantic, near Greenland or Iceland, with a capital city called Skarka.

But I'm sure Kurt Busiek can answer your question, since he's kindly shown up here.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post

Updated?? Well, I'm trying not to be too negative or sarcastic today, so, I'll leave it at, no.

I think this was the newest "map" of Atlantis, from maybe the Marvel Atlas? Regardless, it is patently ridiculous. Looks like they stole a picture of Kandor from the 1960s

There maybe a prettier version of this map, but it's got basically the same info, and it's from the 1960s / early 1970s.

This is why I'm thrilled to see this book take place underwater and deal with the Atlanteans. Without his own ongoing book, it's been tough to do any worldbuilding for Namor and the Atlanteans.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-11-2020 at 01:36 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Read the first issue and loved it! Busiek had me hooked after he revealed Dorma and Attuma would star in these series along Namor. Great to see lord Krang too. So refreshing to see Atlantis being explored and expanded, one of the few wishlist items all of us can agree about at the Namor thread. This take on Namor and Atlantis brings me memories of the great Avengers renaissance of the late 90's by Busiek and Perez when everything that was great about the series returned and everybody took notice that the Avengers could be as cool or cooler than the X-Men. Namor really needs this approach, I can only hope this leads to an ongoing. Thank you Mr. Busiek for your work on Namor. I am crossing my fingers hoping this leads to future Namor projects by you. A character as important as Namor needs rescue from the relative creative limbo he has been in recent years. I'm getting all excited reading you mention characters like llyra, Fen and Thakorr and looking forward to what you might reveal in future issues. Loved to see the interaction between Namor, Attuma, Dorma and Lord Krang this issue and looking forward to see how you show the way these relationships between characters evolve through the passage of time as the story progresses.
    Good to see you, Thor-El! I've been swamped lately and haven't been around as much as usual. And what you said! As a Namor fan, it's great to see our favorite characters in then hands of someone like Busiek.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Good to see you, Thor-El! I've been swamped lately and haven't been around as much as usual. And what you said! As a Namor fan, it's great to see our favorite characters in then hands of someone like Busiek.
    Always great to have you back! Yes, very exciting this mini series! I enjoyed the last Invaders but this feels more like a true Namor project!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I forgot to pick this one up this week. I will have to check this out now!

Tomorrow is the day! Found a preview for King in Black Namor #2!

The rest of the pages are at AIPT here:

https://aiptcomics.com/2020/12/28/ma...black-namor-2/

I thought there was going to be a variant cover, but I can't find it.

I enjoyed this issue and all the world building -- long overdue. I was happy to see Stuart Moore's incorporation of R'yleh into the Atlantis mythos touched on again -- I'd love to see a Namor ongoing dealing with this sort of Old Ones threat. But it appears Moore's take on Atlantean magic won't be used.

Lots of cool bits referenced, also, including the Thule Society! As well as some familiar names! I need to sit down and read it more slowly to pick up these nuggets.

I was surprised we already got to the Black Tide, but it's cool that things are moving along at good clip.

Only two issues in and this is probably my favourite book of the year. It's pretty bittersweet that it's only a mini-series, and one tied to an event I don't care about. Though I'm happy it will be self contained once finished.

I'm already bummed all the beautiful warrior woman have been turned into nightmare creatures. That being said, I do love me some nightmare creatures... so I'm torn.

It's interesting to see Namor, Attuma and Dorma looking up to these older generation Atlantean heroes, almost the way some of the current heroes look up to the Golden Age heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Only two issues in and this is probably my favourite book of the year. It's pretty bittersweet that it's only a mini-series, and one tied to an event I don't care about. Though I'm happy it will be self contained once finished.

I'm already bummed all the beautiful warrior woman have been turned into nightmare creatures. That being said, I do love me some nightmare creatures... so I'm torn.

It's interesting to see Namor, Attuma and Dorma looking up to these older generation Atlantean heroes, almost the way some of the current heroes look up to the Golden Age heroes.
    I was going to say how YOUNG Namor and Attuma and Dorma are. Namor laughing and looking awkward -- it's been so long since I've seen that. The Atlas era Young Namor diaries for sure. Attuma is the most different. He's much less the barbarian. This is also why I think people who like teen / YA teams should give this book a try. It's got that vibe, too.

I have to say, though, I do like the Black Tide designs. I can't wait to see them in the present.

Seeing the Old Ones and the magic stuff just SCREAMS potential for a future book.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 12-30-2020 at 08:42 PM.

The only criticism I'd have for the book is how the Atlanteans still look more primitive than I'd like. There's an aesthetic they're going for, I understand, but Atlantis was supposed to be a high tech nation even before the Cataclysm and current Atlantis is always boasted as being one of the most, if not THE most, technologically advanced societies on earth, but you never see that reflected in any books. They're all still riding around on animal mounts and have spears and swords. I always hoped to see more John Carter of Mars in these stories rather than Conan the Barbarian.

This really has nothing to do with the book at hand, or my enjoyment of it, which I did quite a bit. It's just one of those things that still nags me about Marvel's portrayal of Atlantis in general. You can't have everything, but this book delivers on my of the other gripes I've had with Marvel's Atlantis for years: world building, histories and magic, new characters and expansions of old ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    The only criticism I'd have for the book is how the Atlanteans still look more primitive than I'd like. There's an aesthetic they're going for, I understand, but Atlantis was supposed to be a high tech nation even before the Cataclysm and current Atlantis is always boasted as being one of the most, if not THE most, technologically advanced societies on earth, but you never see that reflected in any books. They're all still riding around on animal mounts and have spears and swords. I always hoped to see more John Carter of Mars in these stories rather than Conan the Barbarian.

This really has nothing to do with the book at hand, or my enjoyment of it, which I did quite a bit. It's just one of those things that still nags me about Marvel's portrayal of Atlantis in general. You can't have everything, but this book delivers on my of the other gripes I've had with Marvel's Atlantis for years: world building, histories and magic, new characters and expansions of old ones.
    I agree 200%. We just don't see all the amazing Everett and Kirby tech that the Atlanteans have always had for decades. They took over the planet in FF Annual #1! Where's that stuff?

Personally, I'd love to see a fusion of magic and tech, completely powered by Green energy, cause Namor is nothing if not a environmentalist. We don't see that with other cultures, and it would be a great niche for the Atlanteans.

One of the shout outs I meant to mention, but haven't gotten around to posting about, what with the Appreciation Thread shutdown, was this bit that Athena-i posted on Twitter.

It was clearly a nod to Namor's first appearance in Marvel Comics 1 / MPFW 1 where he first encountered air breather divers and thought they were robots!

https://twitter.com/athena_i/status/...556913160?s=20

Also, was that Baron Mordo in Russia??? Or his dad?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Also, was that Baron Mordo in Russia??? Or his dad?
    Baron Mordo's not old enough to have been an adult in 1932.

But that may not be his dad, either. Could be an uncle or cousin.

kdb
    Visit www.busiek.com—for all your Busiek needs!