It's finally here! The first issue of KiB: Namor by Kurt Busiek, Benjamin Dewey, and Jonas Scharf. And it was good! Good enough to deserve it's own review thread. ;p

As an old school Namor fan, it was wonderful to see Busiek draw on the long history of Marvel's oldest character, meld it with his own additions the lore. My heart soared to see Lady Dorma in print again, and just as fierce and amazing as I remember her. But I'm also intrigued by the all female Swift Tide and how this team came to be. And Ambrose is a long overdue addition to Namor's history -- even if he is a scene stealer.

Those additions, and setting most of the story in the 1930s when Namor was a teenager, give this book a different tone than what many expect of a modern Namor book, IMO. I hope non-Namor fans, especially those that like teen superheros and a fun adventure story give it a try. Yes, the modern frame is a bit a dark, as to be expected in such a dark event, but that doesn't color the main story in the past .... yet.

Both Dewey and Scharf do a great job in creating appropriately different tones for their different eras, but their styles aren't radically different, so the book feels consistent. Dewey, as to be expected as the artist on Autumnlands, does a great job with the sea life, and the characters expressions. He fills the panels with exuberance and movement. Scharf doesn't let us forget that Namor IS underwater, in a weightless and dim environment.

I could go on and on, and probably will, but I'm curious to see what others, especially non-Namor fans, think about the book. And Ambrose.

I can't wait for the next book!