Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default New Green Lantern writer HATES Hal Jordan. Thoughts?

Geoff Thorne is not only going to write the GL Future State issues, but he's been tapped as the writer for the upcoming Green Lantern series in March staring John Stewart. Thorne has years of tweets about his hatred of Hal Jordan you can see here-

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/the-...es-hal-jordan/

Now I'm never a fan of digging up past social media posts to get someone cancelled or fired. Thorne is totally entitled to his opinion, and good for him for getting the writing gig at DC, but is it strange that they would hire a new GL writer that so publicly HATES who for many is the definitive Green Lantern?

I'm absolutely going to pick up this series in March (I didn't care for Morrison's GL series) to see how he does writing John as the focus. But will Hal be ignored since he hates him so much?

BANNED

Seems to me like DC made a smart decision hiring a John Stewart stan to write a John Stewart book.

We've already seen writers who don't like John Stewart **** on him for two decades.

John's time to shine is long overdue.

Let's move on.

This is just getting ridiculous.

my thoughts? this is a non-issue and not worth discussing tbh.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Seems to me like DC made a smart decision hiring a John Stewart stan to write a John Stewart book.

We've already seen writers who don't like John Stewart **** on him for two decades.

John's time to shine is long overdue.

Let's move on.
    Yeah I'm looking forward to a GL book with John. But it would be strange to have a Blue Beetle writer who HATES Ted, or a Question writer who HATES Vic. I suppose they can me mutually exclusive.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

While Stewart has always been my least favorite GL, I’ll give it a shot. He seems to have a real passion for the franchise, and I always try to support creators of color, especially if I like their work.

From the writer himself:

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    This is Rumor Control. Here are the Facts.

There is a MASSIVE difference between speaking as a fan to other fans and working as a professional writer in a professional context.

I do not take jobs to "**** on fans."

I do not have vendettas against fictional characters.

I'm not allowed to say what the focus of the book will be for legal and ethical reasons but I can assure you, unequivocally, when and if Hal appears, he will be the Hal Jordan that has been established and will behave the way DC Comics would like him to be portrayed. I do not diminish one character in order to elevate another and, in fact, if we're going through my tweets, you'd find several saying how much I hate when that is done. It's an example of poor writing.

When I'm a fan, I speak as a fan. When I sit down to write, that stops.

I do not subscribe to the tribalism and angry fist-shaking that seems to be the rule with many current fans. EVERY Lantern has fans who think they should be THE Lantern. Neither I nor DC comics have any intention of shitting on them.

I have between 30 and 50 thousands comics, dating back to the 1940s. I love comics. LOVE.

I'm here to tell great stories, as is the rest of this team. We are excited as HELL about what's coming.

For a lot of you I'm an unknown commodity but, being unknown, you shouldn't automatically expect trouble any more than you should automatically expect greatness.

We have an epic yarn to tell with a LOT of great things coming that haven't even been hinted at, much less announced.

Creators sign NDAs, meaning we are actually not allowed to refute rumors and fear-mongering with specific facts. Meaning, until the books actually drop, people who don't know what they're talking about get to dominate the field.

Here is a fact: Only about five people on this planet know what's coming and none of them are in the fan press. None.

What won't happen:

I will not debate story points here or anywhere else.
    I will not debate any aspect of past, current or future GL stories, here or anywhere else.
    I will never give spoilers, here or anywhere else.
    I will never **** on the work of the other creators who've driven the story of the Lanterns. EVERY one of them has done something amazing that is loved by some segment of the Lantern fandom.

I will not in any way tarnish the legacy of the Green Lantern Corps because that is neither my job nor my intent.

What will happen:

I will tell the story I came to tell.

Epic stories. Amazing art. Life and death. New faces. Old faces. New species. Old species and I hope, a lot of scifi fun.

Anyone who thinks I have any intention of shitting on Hal Jordan can sit down and be still. Because that is a straight-up lie.
    It's time to move on and see what's now in store for us

And hopefully this thread get's deleted

I liked his response, I'm seeing that for the first time. New writers on books are put under the microscope normally, so this really must have escalated things.

I'm confused at the "lets move on", "doesn't need discussing" and hoping my thread gets deleted comments. Isn't this a place we can discuss comics and their creators? I found it interesting, why should my thread be deleted? If you don't want to discuss it, then don't respond to my post, and if no one else does, my post will sink into the void of past posts.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    I liked his response, I'm seeing that for the first time. New writers on books are put under the microscope normally, so this really must have escalated things.

I'm confused at the "lets move on", "doesn't need discussing" and hoping my thread gets deleted comments. Isn't this a place we can discuss comics and their creators? I found it interesting, why should my thread be deleted? If you don't want to discuss it, then don't respond to my post, and if no one else does, my post will sink into the void of past posts.
    I can't speak for everyone but, for my response particularly, I said it doesn't need further discussion because the topic has been talked about ad nauseam in the Oa thread, in the John thread, and i'm sure even in the Future State thread and the Hal thread; at times with absurd hyperbole and bad faith arguments that are tiring and have blown the discussion out of proportion. I don't think anyone wants to **** on your thread particularly, people are just tired of the topic already.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Nobody wants a flame war.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post

I saw a few posters who asked him the same thing and after he responded and then their posts got deleted and I think banned, because I think it started to get more personal. I thought this thread was going to lead into something like that, which I didn't want to see happen to anyone else. My bad, apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I can't speak for everyone but, for my response particularly, I said it doesn't need further discussion because the topic has been talked about ad nauseam in the Oa thread, in the John thread, and i'm sure even in the Future State thread and the Hal thread; at times with absurd hyperbole and bad faith arguments that are tiring and have blown the discussion out of proportion. people are just tired of the topic already.
    Ah fair enough. I did a quick glance at the 2 pages on the DC threads to see it was being discussed, and didn't see anything. I prob missed it, sorry about that if I did. Its new info for me, so I was really interested in discussing it with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I saw a few posters who asked him the same thing and after he responded, their posts got deleted and I think banned, because I think it started to get more personal. I thought this thread was going to lead into something like that. My bad, apologies.
    appreciate that, thanks!

Ultimate Member

WAIT TILL THE BOOK IS OUT

BUY or READ IN STORE THE BOOK.

Judge the book for yourself.

We have had too many books get RUINED not because of writer but because of agenda driven folks trying to start flames wars. With folks making up stuff that never happened in a book.

McDuffie's Justice League run was ruined by that nonsense.