Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    That is the point the ones I could name would never come back.

Also at the time the book Other Side of DC didn't exist.

There was no John Ridley to write Jefferson as he was too busy working on Fresh Prince of Bel Air and Fox shows.

Remember all those characters were at the mercy of DC's editorial at that time.

Very few black characters were not killed, blown up, turned evil, sent to limbo or stayed in the background at that time.
    So basically you don't want the Parallax treatment for any of your favorites.

Hal being luckier than most doesn't change the fact that nobody else wants it happening to them, or that Hal fans can't say it was a shitty situation even if he came back. Them primarily being concerned with Hal over other Lanterns or characters doesn't come from a place of malice, it's because he's their favorite. That's fandom 101.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Dio and Jedah are nothing like Parallax. They are complete monsters you are supposed to hate. Hal was supposed to be a tragic villain.

If anything, an argument could be made for Bruce being Parallax instead of Hal. Hal does not know everything about the League but Bruce does and he is a far bigger control freak than Hal ever was.
    Dio Brando had similar powers to Parallax in that he could also control time. And if that one game is canon (the second fighting game Namco/Bandai did) then he's also able to rewrite reality. Dio is the way he is because of an abusive childhood and never having any positive influence in his life. Despite that, he did care about Pucci (he loved him in fact) and he had a certain respect for some of his followers. Both Dio and Parallax have a dry sense of humor and open contempt for everyone who goes up against them.

Unless if Jedah has had his character changed over the years, he saw himself as the savior of Makai in Vampire Savior. He didn't want their dimension to rot away and hated that Belial knew this and refused to do anything about it. So he makes an attempt at a power grab which fails due to Oboro betraying him. Then he comes back to life and sees that everything he predicted had come true (Night Warriors) with nobles fighting each other while their world falls apart.

Much like Hal as Parallax he believed that he was right and once he succeeded in the end (by destroying all of reality and remaking it in his image) then everyone would understand. They also saw themselves as above conventional morality of good and evil due to being godlike. Both made constructs as well and could pretty much recover from any damage. Also had followers who believed that if either one succeeded it would be better for them in the long run. Both had jealous second-in-commands who tried to take advantage for their own benefit (Oboro for Jedah and Extant for Parallax). Also both were reserved in their emotions until they saw they were winning - then they'd just take off the mask of sanity and flip the fck out. Both could travel between dimensions and had constructs too (blood for Jedah and plasma/light for Parallax).

I guess to me I saw Parallax prior to the retcon as an anti-villain in that they have good intentions (to them at least) but their methods were wrong. Dio and Jedah have those tendencies as well.

Bruce may have known everything about the League to the point that he had plans in case if they ever stepped out of line. Hal had similar plans as well. But Bruce is always paranoid about becoming too powerful whereas Hal never worried about that. He was always in control after all.
    Last edited by Crazy Diamond; 12-11-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Dio Brando had similar powers to Parallax in that he could also control time. And if that one game is canon (the second fighting game Namco/Bandai did) then he's also able to rewrite reality. Dio is the way he is because of an abusive childhood and never having any positive influence in his life. Despite that, he did care about Pucci (he loved him in fact) and he had a certain respect for some of his followers. Both Dio and Parallax have a dry sense of humor and open contempt for everyone who goes up against them.

Unless if Jedah has had his character changed over the years, he saw himself as the savior of Makai in Vampire Savior. He didn't want their dimension to rot away and hated that Belial knew this and refused to do anything about it. Much like Hal as Parallax he believed that he was right and in the end once he succeeded (by destroying all of reality and remaking it in his image) then everyone would understand. They also saw themselves as above conventional morality of good and evil due to being godlike. Both made constructs as well and could pretty much recover from any damage. Also had followers who believed that if either one succeeded it would be better for them in the long run. Both had jealous second-in-commands who tried to take advantage for their own benefit (Oboro for Jedah and Extant for Parallax). Also both were reserved in their emotions until they saw they were winning - then they'd just take off the mask of sanity and flip the fck out. Both could travel between dimensions and had constructs too (blood for Jedah and plasma/light for Parallax).

I guess to me I saw Parallax prior to the retcon as an anti-villain in that they have good intentions (to them at least) but their methods were wrong. Dio and Jedah have those tendencies as well.

Bruce may have known everything about the League to the point that he had plans in case if they ever stepped out of line. Hal had similar plans as well. But Bruce is always paranoid about becoming too powerful whereas Hal never worried about that. He was always in control after all.
    I don't recall Bruce being paranoid about being too powerful. He's usually paranoid about other people being too powerful from what I've seen.

Fair point on Dio and Jedah I suppose.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't recall Bruce being paranoid about being too powerful. He's usually paranoid about other people being too powerful from what I've seen.

Fair point on Dio and Jedah I suppose.
    Bruce always came off like a guy who was worried about the abuse of power of superheroes including himself but it's been a long time since I've read Batman regularly.

Yeah I liked Parallax as he was conceived but the execution was never as good as the idea. It didn't help that I had seen better takes on a character like that in manga and a fighting game of all places. Even fans did a better job.

The problem with Parallax is the whole intent of it was to get Hal out of the way since retiring him in the 80s didn't stick. So it's like outside of Marz (who wasn't allowed to do what he wanted with the character half the time) no one really wanted to build him up as a character because somehow that was going to take focus off of Kyle. Getting rid of the Green Lantern Corps was a mistake as well. Why strip Green Lantern of everything that made the character unique? I didn't like the GL: Rebirth retcon but at the same time Emerald Twilight was rushed. I didn't notice it at first till I went back and read vol. 2 and the first part of vol. 3. Should DC have gone with Gerard Jones's idea? I dunno he was burnt out at that point and Dooley seemed like a bad editor from what I've heard of him and from reading titles he worked on.

Incredible Member

I know the new writer posts on here so hopefully he sees this. I don't care. I'd rather he tell me the story he wants to tell with the character he wants to use than demand that he alter that story to use a character he has no real interest in. With multiple Green Lanterns there is no excuse for not letting one of the other ones get a shot at anchoring the title for a little while especially during a relaunch.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    I know the new writer posts on here so hopefully he sees this. I don't care. I'd rather he tell me the story he wants to tell with the character he wants to use than demand that he alter that story to use a character he has no real interest in. With multiple Green Lanterns there is no excuse for not letting one of the other ones get a shot at anchoring the title for a little while especially during a relaunch.
    Most aren't actually doing this, just expressing concern than Hal will be used poorly to prop up another character. Because some of the fans and creatives who prefer the other Lanterns have been vocal about hating Hal.

I believe this author when he says he won't do that so he deserves a fair shot. But we've had Mairghread Scott say she thought Hal sucks when asked why he had such an underwhelming role in Apokolips War, which begs the question as to why he was included in it at all.

I'm just curious what approach he'll take with the character. Most writers these days lean exclusively into his military background and don't concentrate on his engineering abilities and how he can apply them to constructs or the fact that he was more political and spoke his mind more back in the day.

They just present him as stoic military guy and don't provide many layers. This writer seems to be a big fan of the character. I hope he hits on all of those points.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    I'm just curious what approach he'll take with the character. Most writers these days lean exclusively into his military background and don't concentrate on his engineering abilities and how he can apply them to constructs or the fact that he was more political and spoke his mind more back in the day.

They just present him as stoic military guy and don't provide many layers. This writer seems to be a big fan of the character. I hope he hits on all of those points.
    Me to, the one think I did not like about the JLA cartoon back in the day is that reduced John's personality to a play by the book, tough military man, while sidelining other aspects of his personality from Mosaic.

So I hope the new writer brings back some of his older characteristics, such as political his consciousness, diplomacy skills, and as you mentioned engineering abilities, back into the fray.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    once i'm off the book i would love to kick this around in depth.
    Niiiiice!!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post

Agreed on more emphasis that shows JS combining both his civil engineering/architectural and military skillsets.

But John has always been shown to speak his mind in a textured manner.... I don't want JS being too "political" and loud....that would just make him an agree black man stereotype.

Mighty Member

Sorry, double post!

Ultimate Member

Depending on the book in question and the EDITORS-the writer does not have a choice in who they get to use.

So you end up having a writer with a character that was probably NOT in his or her pitch.
    McDuffie's JLA would have looked different if HE had a say on the roster.
    Tom King's Heroes in Crisis pitch was NOT the same as the final result.
    GLC New 52 was suppose to feature the death of John Stewart. That writer QUIT DC over it.
    Duke Thomas under Tom King. We have seen Batman with every sidekick having adventures with him. Duke was nothing more than cameos before he vanished from the book in 2018.

Or you get a pitch DUMPED on you by an editor-see Gwenpool's last mini series.
    Leah Williams was NOT pitching Gwenpool and there were folks she wanted for X-Factor but couldn't get. She had to battle to get Prodigy.

Also remember some writers gets books and get TOLD what to do versus free choice.
    Priest did NOT want to kill Ironfist at the end of Powerman & Ironfist-he was told do it or be FIRED. Never mind the plan was to lead into a new Luke Cage book that never happened. Same with Cap America & Falcon that was suppose to lead to a new Falcon book. Never happened and Priest got some other book in 1998. About a guy he didn't care for. That became the longest Black Panther run.

I'll give you one more example from ARCHIE COMICS.
    They wanted Chuck Clayton in as many Archie stories as they could get at one time according to long time Archie artist Fernando Ruiz.
    In some attempt to boost his popularity.
    The results-Chuck did a LOT of cameos in stories that did not have a thing to do with the outcome of said stories. Writers did as little as they could to accommodate Archie's request.
    I am not sure WHEN this happened either before or after his OGN in 2008. I just know 10 straight years Chuck has been MIA in the main Archie book.

All-New Member

It seems like Hal will appear in Mr. Thorne's Green Lantern run. I don't kown what taking damage means here, I just hope Hal and John don't lose any body part in Mr. Thorne's books.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (47.2 KB, 113 views)
    Last edited by peofrole; 12-12-2020 at 09:03 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by peofrole View Post
    It seems like Hal will appear in Mr. Thorne's Green Lantern run. I don't kown what taking damage means here, I just hope Hal and John don't lose any body part in Mr. Thorne's books.
    Taking damage is just a part of the genre. Being a hero means travelling on a road of trials.

it's extremely frustrating not being able to answer a lot of your issues about all this.

But I literally cannot answer most of the questions because the answers are also spoilers and 1) I hate spoilers 2) there's this thing called a Non Disclosure Agreement precluding any answers.

here is some math.

over 6 years i made 28 comments related to what is now this subject,

that averages out to roughly 4 comments a year (a little more). Each comment was made in response to a question like "What is is your MOST CONTROVERSIAL opinion about the DCU" or "What is the opinion that will have other fans come at you with knives?" to which the answer was always the same because it's the only such notion I really hold about DC comics.

Recently a couple of people compiled these comments, once again, spread over 6 years, as if they were a tirade or a rant and some people are freaking out about it.

That's their right, I suppose. But, frankly, there's nothing I can say that will put to rest the sort of paranoia that has been engendered here (and which I believe was intentionally created by the people in question). People will believe what they want, regardless of facts and regardless of assurances.

This is rumor control, not damage control. No damage has, as yet, been done.

Here, once again, are some facts:

I don't lie. Ever.
    I don 't dissemble. Ever.
    I don't equivocate. Ever.
    When he appears under my pen, Hal will be the Hal you recognize.

Is Hal "safe?" I can't answer that.

Do I have an agenda towards diminishing or in any way tarnishing Hal? Nope.

I'm a writer of adventure fiction. No character, not the ones I "love" and not the ones I "hate," is safe with me. NO one is "safe" in my stories. No one. It wouldn't be an adventure if they were. Stakes are high. Pain is real. Injury is real. Death is very, very real.

Otherwise there's no risk and without risk there's no adventure.

Future State drops in a few weeks. A month after it's done, GREEN LANTERN #1.

I think most of you will dig it.

EDIT: If this helps, here is a link to a FREE indie comic I did that is sort of Green Lantern-ish.

THE RETURN OF CADRE ONE
    Last edited by Redjack; 12-13-2020 at 01:58 PM.