Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    WAIT TILL THE BOOK IS OUT

BUY or READ IN STORE THE BOOK.

Judge the book for yourself.

We have had too many books get RUINED not because of writer but because of agenda driven folks trying to start flames wars. With folks making up stuff that never happened in a book.

McDuffie's Justice League run was ruined by that nonsense.
    Wait? How was Mc Duffie’s JLA ruined by flame wars.

I know editors kept removing the A listers from his title because of events in their own books, restricting McDuffie. And some complaints of a black JLA” but when were there flame wars?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I can't speak for everyone but, for my response particularly, I said it doesn't need further discussion because the topic has been talked about ad nauseam in the Oa thread, in the John thread, and i'm sure even in the Future State thread and the Hal thread; at times with absurd hyperbole and bad faith arguments that are tiring and have blown the discussion out of proportion. I don't think anyone wants to shit on your thread particularly, people are just tired of the topic already.
    Yeah, this clogging up every GL thread is getting annoying.

Mighty Member

The comments are disappointing, but I am looking forward to a John Stewart run, it's long overdue.

I love Hal, but I couldn't finish Morrison's run, and I'm tired of him always being out in deep space. If he's not going to be able to be a consistent present on the JLA, than its time to give someone else a go.

Spectacular Member

Ballec. If he prefer John than Hal it this choice. So wait and see. Maybe he will propose an interresting version of John.

And personally i prefer see John than Hal, because i think it's time to focus on a other GL than Hal Jordan.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Seems like he won't be writing Hal so who cares? Green Lantern is a big enough mythology!

Morrison's tGL has been dope. Like REALLY stellar. Hal is the front and center of that. He'll be in another book soon enough.

It’s wonderful.....

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    WAIT TILL THE BOOK IS OUT

BUY or READ IN STORE THE BOOK.

Judge the book for yourself.

We have had too many books get RUINED not because of writer but because of agenda driven folks trying to start flames wars. With folks making up stuff that never happened in a book.

McDuffie's Justice League run was ruined by that nonsense.
    I thought his run was ruined because of editorial, but I could be wrong. I didn’t know there were people actively campaigning to get him off, especially after how successful his JL shows/animated films were.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Lol bleeding cool really did it with this one.

To answer your question you can ask said writer in the Hal Jordan appreciation thread but let me just quote them:

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    i agree. the crazy is mostly not in this thread. there's a tendency to conflate ALL conercern with all negative responses. comics fandom is just WAY too tribal for my tastes, across the board.

i don't feel attacked here. but the concerns are baseless.

i'm not an outsider either as a fan or as a creator. unlike a lot of folks who've come to comics after only one other form of writing, I have always flitted back and forth between ALL the forms. I've been writing comics for years. And TV. And stage plays and books and audio drama and animation.

when I say "I'm a pro and i don't succumb to the kind of BS a lot of you are worried about," it's not a promise or an opinion; it's a fact.

So, you don't need to worry. While, in my personal life I stand by all the opinions that seem to bug some of you out there, this is NOT my personal life. You have to understand that. Doctors treat patients they'd never break bread with. Firefighters rescue anyone in danger.

My job is to write great stories and that's what I do. It is not to tear down characters because of some personal agenda.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

This topic is already pervading the appreciation threads, did it need its own thread?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I thought his run was ruined because of editorial, but I could be wrong. I didn’t know there were people actively campaigning to get him off, especially after how successful his JL shows/animated films were.
    A combination of both.

Editors put the roster together.
    Editors got in the way of some of the stuff McDuffie could do. I know of one edit they did in his run.

Fans took issue with black members of JLA and McDuffie made it clear it was not his choice.

And if he had HIS way ONE of the 4 would not be on that team. I would suspect it was Black Lightning since that was the only one he did one project with Dc Crisis on 2 Earths dvd.
    And even his run saw (BRIEF) issues with Hal being taken off and John being added.

The issue overall was more folks took issue with the roster and writer than the actual contents of the book.

Which is happening here despite no book is out.
    Has ANYONE thought that hey lets see what a John solo book could do.

Instead of fits being thrown-how about HOPING John's book can be an ENTRY point for someone to read about Jo, Jessica, Guy, Kyle and HAL?

Whose franchise is in better shape? Green Lantern being all about ONE guy and ONE book.

Or Spider-Man-who has Peter with books but now a Miles, Venom & Gwen demanding books.
    We go a Spider-Man toyline not a Green Lantern one.
    We got MILES leading a game not a Green Lantern one.

Hal can get a break for a while. Give editors time to find the right PITCH.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I am going to have to reregister aren't I.

Please let's not go through 2014 again.

Like the new writer, I've always found Hal rather boring and preferred John. Maybe it is because I never closely followed Hal in the comics thus my first true introduction to the Green Lanterns was via the Justice League Animated Series.....
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

No, no, no, 2020, you ain't sucking me into your time vortex again.

Wasn't this issue was thoroughly discussed earlier this week and everyone came away satisfied?

Green Lantern: Future State comes out on January 12th! Check out what the "controversy" is all about!

https://leagueofcomicgeeks.com/comic...reen-lantern-1

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

As long as Hal appears prominently in another book(i.e. Justice League), I'm fine with this. I like both Hal and John. I never get why it has to be either/or.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    We've already seen writers who don't like John Stewart **** on him for two decades.
    Outside of not capitalizing on his DCAU popularity, what has DC done to this character that's so horrible. Did they assassinate his character and turned him into a psychopath who killed all his friends for shock value. Did they give him an awful movie and made him the joke of DC due to not wanting to own to up to the fact that they botched the movie. Do you see creators and reviewers constantly bash him and blame him for why the franchise isn't more successful. If anything that can be remotely comparable to any of that ever happens to him, I'd be glad to talk at length about John Stewart being **** on. Until then enjoy what DC has in store for the character.
    Last edited by Johnny; 12-09-2020 at 06:01 PM.