View Poll Results: Who do you think is The Next Batman?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luke is both

0 0%
  • Tim is both

10 62.50%
  • Duke is both

0 0%
  • Luke is one and Duke is one

4 25.00%
  • Tim is one and Duke is one

1 6.25%
  • Other

1 6.25%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default UNMASKED: Who is The Next Batman in Future State?

Ok y'all, we a month out from Future State so I wanted to have a thread dedicated to just speculating on the Identity of who Future State's The Next Batman could be. The only thing we know about him is that his story will focus heavily on the Fox family and that this Batman will be black. There have been three big contenders floating around the internet.

The Fox Brothers

first and foremost we have the Fox brothers, the two most likely candidates. Ridley early on has said that his Batman will focus on the relationship between Lucius Fox and his sons which all but confirms that one of these two will be the Batman.

Luke Fox - given Luke has more appearances he has the experience and relationship with both Lucius and Bruce to rationalize him taking up the mantle of Batman should Bruce fall. Luke also was the one rumored to be taking over for Bruce since before Future State and even before the news of 5G broke, which makes for a solid (and admittedly obvious) case for him taking over.

Tim Fox - Timothy Fox's sudden reemergence has many fans speculating that DC wants to use him as a blank slate to take over for Bruce and allow for more wiggle room with the portrayal of the traditional Batman characterization; which makes sense. Given we know the story will involve both sons, and Luke has been the only one mentioned by name in Future State, it's possible that they are avoiding mentioning him because he will take over the cowl as a twist.

The Dark Horse

Duke Thomas - this third choice is a weird one I keep seeing pop up but let's examine it a bit. Duke is my favorite comic book character and while i would love for him to be Ridley's Batman i find it unlikely. However, going into Future State, Duke has the most page prominence of any other black Bat-members currently; coming off a stint in Outsiders, a back-up in Robin King, a cameo in Death Metal, and his own starring role in Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Metal at the end of this month. We also know, Duke will be featured in Future State and playing some kind of role in the Outsiders back-up in Next Batman. Given we know Ridley's Batman story will focus on the Foxs I find it unlikely Duke will be the Batman there given Duke's only connection to the Fox family is his admiration of Luke Fox and his base being under the community center named for Lucius; people are likely throwing his name in because he's black and the Batman will be black. on the other hand, it is possible that Duke could be the Batman in the Future State: Justice League book given that both Luke and Timothy will be far older than most of the other Leaguers on that team by that time and the Aquaman/Aquawoman switch-off sets a precedent for a changing of the guard being possible between books. while I'm 65% sure the Batman will be one dude, i would like this option to be true as a Signal fan.

who do you think will be under the cowl?
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-09-2020 at 07:45 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Tim Fox. John Ridley has specified the importance of the Fox family and I don't see the point in bringing Tim back in a the time they're doing it unless he was actually going to have some narrative importance, and he's more of a blank slate than Luke.

That being said, did this franchise really need another relevant "Tim" character ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Tim Fox. John Ridley has specified the importance of the Fox family and I don't see the point in bringing Tim back in a the time they're doing it unless he was actually going to have some narrative importance, and he's more of a blank slate than Luke.

That being said, did this franchise really need another relevant "Tim" character ?
    I'd have to agree. This is like another Wally/Wallace situation only this time it's deliberate when it honestly didn't need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Tim Fox. John Ridley has specified the importance of the Fox family and I don't see the point in bringing Tim back in the time they're doing it unless he was actually going to have some narrative importance, and he's more of a blank slate than Luke.

I think Timothy will obviously play an important role but i personally don't think that automatically makes him likely to be Batman either. For all we know he could be the Magistrate or working with the Magistrate or something to that effect; or a personal obstacle for Luke as Batman or his man in the chair so to speak. Iunno, I feel if it is Tim it's due to a last minute swerve due to Luke being rumored for so long a la Monarch.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I'd have to agree. This is like another Wally/Wallace situation only this time it's deliberate when it honestly didn't need to be.
    well i wouldn't say it's deliberate given that Timothy Fox was here first
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Right now its a 50/50 split between Tim and Luke. Duke is next and some dark horse candidate like Bronze Tiger is last.

It would be funny if the reveal is Crispus Allen or Orpheus.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-09-2020 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I think Timothy will obviously play an important role but i personally don't think that automatically makes him likely to be Batman either. For all we know he could be the Magistrate or working with the Magistrate or something to that effect; or a personal obstacle for Luke as Batman or his man in the chair so to speak. Iunno, I feel if it is Tim it's due to a last minute swerve due to Luke being rumored for so long a la Monarch.
    I think they teased the Magistrate is more connected to Bruce? That seems more a direct conflict in the books from the solicits, as I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

Ok y'all, we a month out from Future State so I wanted to have a thread dedicated to just speculating on the Identity of who Future State's The Next Batman could be. The only thing we know about him is that his story will focus heavily on the Fox family and that this Batman will be black. There have been three big contenders floating around the internet.

The Fox Brothers

first and foremost we have the Fox brothers, the two most likely candidates. Ridley early on has said that his Batman will focus on the relationship between Lucius Fox and his sons which all but confirms that one of these two will be the Batman.

Luke Fox - given Luke has more appearances he has the experience and relationship with both Lucius and Bruce to rationalize him taking up the mantle of Batman should Bruce fall. Luke also was the one rumored to be taking over for Bruce since before Future State and even before the news of 5G broke, which makes for a solid (and admittedly obvious) case for him taking over.

Tim Fox - Timothy Fox's sudden reemergence has many fans speculating that DC wants to use him as a blank slate to take over for Bruce and allow for more wiggle room with the portrayal of the traditional Batman characterization; which makes sense. Given we know the story will involve both sons, and Luke has been the only one mentioned by name in Future State, it's possible that they are avoiding mentioning him because he will take over the cowl as a twist.

The Dark Horse

Duke Thomas - this third choice is a weird one I keep seeing pop up but let's examine it a bit. Duke is my favorite comic book character and while i would love for him to be Ridley's Batman i find it unlikely. However, going into Future State, Duke has the most page prominence of any other black Bat-members currently; coming off a stint in Outsiders, a back-up in Robin King, a cameo in Death Metal, and his own starring role in Tales from the Dark Multiverse: Metal at the end of this month. We also know, Duke will be featured in Future State and playing some kind of role in the Outsiders back-up in Next Batman. Given we know Ridley's Batman story will focus on the Foxs I find it unlikely Duke will be the Batman there given Duke's only connection to the Fox family is his admiration of Luke Fox and his base being under the community center named for Lucius; people are likely throwing his name in because he's black and the Batman will be black. on the other hand, it is possible that Duke could be the Batman in the Future State: Justice League book given that both Luke and Timothy will be far older than most other the other Leaguers on that team by that time and the Aquaman/Aquawoman switch-off sets a precedent for a changing of the guard being possible between books. while I'm 65% sure the Batman will be one dude, i would like this option to be true as a Signal fan.

who do you think will be under the cowl?
    I'd like Duke to be the Batman in JL Future State. Give him a chance to interact with those characters since they are his generation/peers

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Alfred E Neuman

Extraordinary Member

Who is suppose to older: Luke or Timothy?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    ngl, a little disappointed but Tim is the more radical of the brother and I'm sure Ridley will make it compelling; so overall I'll say I'm whelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Who is suppose to older: Luke or Timothy?
    I believe Ti8m is supposed to be the eldest or second oldest child.

currently following:

Luke and Duke are my guesses.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Am I the only one hoping he’ll battle the grown versions of his ex-partners, the Shark and The Fox

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Former Batwing Luke Fox? Wonder what that is all about.

Either way I look forward to seeing what Ridley does and I guess how Tim, Tim F not Tim D, fits in with the run in March.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Luke and Duke are my guesses.
    No more guessing.