Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would a Multiverse Batman movie work

So with all the hype being generated for the upcoming Spider-man movie and Marvel essentially introducing its own cinematic multiverse and in its own way beating DC to another cinematic first I though this would be a good discussion point

now we know that Micheal keaton is coming back in the upcoming Flashpoint movie alongside Affleck in some minor role.
    Then you also have all the crisis stuff from the CW merging a lot of the DC TV properties

Would Batman work like that
    Imagine a Batman movie where a young Pattinson meets the world weary Affleck or Keaton
    Or Joaquin Phoenix Joker, Tom Hardy Bane, and Leto Joker team up to take on Christian Bale Batman and Pattinson

I feel like in the previous decade stuff like this would be a tough sell because canon/continuity was so hard set in fans minds with how stories were supposed to work.
    Now we are deep in the stunt casting/nostalgia mining era of superhero movies

I'd throw in Batman Beyond as well .

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    So with all the hype being generated for the upcoming Spider-man movie and Marvel essentially introducing its own cinematic multiverse and in its own way beating DC to another cinematic first I though this would be a good discussion point

now we know that Micheal keaton is coming back in the upcoming Flashpoint movie alongside Affleck in some minor role.
    Then you also have all the crisis stuff from the CW merging a lot of the DC TV properties

Would Batman work like that
    Imagine a Batman movie where a young Pattinson meets the world weary Affleck or Keaton
    Or Joaquin Phoenix Joker, Tom Hardy Bane, and Leto Joker team up to take on Christian Bale Batman and Pattinson

I feel like in the previous decade stuff like this would be a tough sell because canon/continuity was so hard set in fans minds with how stories were supposed to work.
    Now we are deep in the stunt casting/nostalgia mining era of superhero movies
    There are still a lot of canon/continuity complaints from people. Too many people. That is a whole different problem and not what this is about.

I could see it working. Not to be too on the nose, Pattinson dong a duo casting of Batman and the Red Rain Vampire Batman, might be funny as well.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

I think it could make for one heck of a fantastic story. IMO, the concept of all sorts of different takes on Batman, the Bat Fam & their world lends itself to greatness. Oh, and we need Crisis on Two Earths animated Owlman or a close variant of him as a character if not the villain.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-09-2020 at 04:55 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I'd prefer something like the Button. Having him meet an alternate version of his father feels more interesting than just meeting a past batman actor. So the past Batman need more of a hook than just being a former batman actor.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-10-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Unlike Spider-Man, I'm not sure Batman has an established multiverse to work with.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Unlike Spider-Man, I'm not sure Batman has an established multiverse to work with.
    There are very many Elseworld Batmen that disagree .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There are very many Elseworld Batmen that disagree .
    Indeed there are.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

In animation? Sure.

Live action I'm not convinced about, but it's possible. In fact, it seems like the Flashpoint movie will have a bit of that.

Spectacular Member

Would it work in the sense that it would do gangbusters at the box office (assuming the movie theater model isn't dead in this scenario)? Oh yeah, most definitely. It might even be a good movie, as long as it was open about being a nostalgia trip and not too pretentious. I personally find AU/AU ensemble stories to be kind of a dead horse in comics, but I realize that the wider audience maybe hasn't been exposed to this stuff as much.

But I hesitate at the potential fallout: dozens of creatively bankrupt, braindead AU superhero movies due to the success of this and Spider-Verse. Hollywood always learns the wrong lesson.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'd rather just have good stories.

An Affleck Batman action/thriller movie. A Keaton as an older Batman flick. The Matt Reeves noir movies. Different visions by different filmmakers, not fan service.

Multiverse stuff is fun, when it's sci-fi related. When it's just inward gazing continuity stuff it's a slog.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 12-12-2020 at 10:05 PM.

It's a shame Adam West isn't with us anymore. The idea of West, Bale, and Keaton Batman's meeting would be quite interesting.

I suppose you could throw in the others. Conroy would make for a good fourth Batman to balance out against the rest.

Astonishing Member

Wouldn't a video game be better?

With Hollywood embracing the multiverse concept maybe we can finally put the stringent rules of canon to bed too
    Everything matters and happened in some universe out there its all connected now lets focus on this new Batman

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Hopefully, they'll connect Pfeiffer's Catwoman with Ant-Man 3