Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    As much as it pains me to say, it's Mark Bagley. Now, I still find his work to be enjoyable. There's still that lithe, smooth, and nimble quality to his characters, especially with Spider-Man. That being said, I still prefer his older early to mid 90s work on Spider-Man than what he's doing now.

Compare this:

to this:

For me, it's the eyes. I liked the bigger, insect-like eyes compared to the smaller ones a la JRSr. The body shape looks different too. Older one looks longer and sharper while the newer versions are rounder and stockier. Again, still cool, but like the older stuff.
    I get what you're saying, and I get the difference too.

Yet I remember seeing a lettercol where Byrne was saying he was doing pencils in a way where he tried to lift the pencil from the paper as few times as possible. Is that slipping, or a creator trying something the rest of us might not get?

As this is a deeply commercial medium, maybe they should not expect to be so indulged. Maybe Bagley is straight up Not What I Was (for whatever reason).

Could be guilty as charged. Just wonder if we need some more evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Is that slipping, or a creator trying something the rest of us might not get?
    A creator also just might no longer be interested in doing the kind of work they were before. That's not slipping. It might seem like it to the outside viewer, but doesn't mean it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    A creator also just might no longer be interested in doing the kind of work they were before. That's not slipping. It might seem like it to the outside viewer, but doesn't mean it is.
    Totally get it. Yeah, artists evolve and change over times. They want to experiment and go different routes. Me, yeah, I appreciate the new, but I miss the old.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    LOL! Since this was my introduction to him, Giffen's artwork going all '90s will always fascinate me...

Look at this mess. I'm not even remotely interested in knowing what that all is. No, no need to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    John Romita Jr. I felt his work was nice and tight while still working on books like Punisher: War Journal. However, I started noticing I didn't like his art while he was working with J. Michael Straczynski on Amazing Spider-Man. His art became more sketchy, his figures became more lithe...even the ones that were meant to be broad and imposing. After a while, the title became kind of unreadable to me.
    I detest anything that JR Jr. does now. If I see his work I recoil like I recoil at the thought of eating liver.

Enough about that loser, let us instead praise his Sainted Father's work. John Romita Sr. is divinely inspired & is THE Spider-Man art I can only acknowledge. All others will bow to the glorious majesty that is John Romita Sr.

Last edited by GOLGO 13; 12-22-2020 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Barbera Streisand...

The name John Byrne comes to mind. The man was such a legend in his prime.... He hasn't been the same, creatively, since he finished The Next Men. His Spider-man Chapter One is better than everyone says it is, BUT it could have been far better than it was, had he been given free reign to do a hard reboot on Peter's life and times, the way he did with Superman.
    Most of Byrne's late career has been with IDW and, even when he has returned to the Big 2, it hasn't been the best outcome, tho, Blood of the Demon was pretty damn close to the OLD Byrne!

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Don't shoot me, don't shoot me.

Kirby.

Has anyone read his Phantom Force series at Image? It was terrible. It was a mix of 5 other B-Movie genres and the first issue each page was inked by a different Image mainstay. Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post

Kirby.

Has anyone read his Phantom Force series at Image? It was terrible. It was a mix of 5 other B-Movie genres and the first issue each page was inked by a different Image mainstay. Awful.
    Kirby was in very ill health (he died within a year) and much of it is the work of Michael Thibedeaux. For a much better late Kirby book, read Captain Victory, much more fun and full of invention than it is usually credited with. It is also a covert sequel to The New Gods.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I was going to come in and say Jason Aaron but in hindsight, he's always been a poor writer and storyteller.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    I was going to come in and say Jason Aaron but in hindsight, he's always been a poor writer and storyteller.
    Even Scalped?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremi View Post
    I loved Aaron's run on Ghost Rider from the mid 2000s.

Kirby.

I won’t shoot you, but if your example of going downhill is literally the last comic a person made, in poor health, at the end of a career that spanned the 30s to the 90s, do better going forward. Fuckin lol.

Astonishing Member

Jim Calafiore. Never liked his artwork in Marvel's Exiles. I've been reading Valiant Comics from the '90s and Jim Calafiore's artwork there is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I won’t shoot you, but if your example of going downhill is literally the last comic a person made, in poor health, at the end of a career that spanned the 30s to the 90s, do better going forward. Fuckin lol.
    It's a cheapshot, but it still counts.

Neil Gaiman. The scant comics work that he has done in the 21st century lacks the enthusiasm of his 80s and 90s work.

It's a shitty shot bustin' on the dying guy for not producing his best work right before passing away. But you do you.

Neil Gaiman. The scant comics work that he has done in the 21st century lacks the enthusiasm of his 80s and 90s work.
    What is Gaiman really remembered for other than his work on Sandman?