Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fantastic Beasts and the Prequel Sequels- ****SPOILERS****

AJBopp made an excellent point about discussing spoilers for a movie in a thread that's not really about that movie. So let's keep all the talk about the Fantastic Beasts series to this thread. Be forewarned- there will be spoilers!

These Harry Potter prequels have been so fantastic that I expect this thread to become epic in size as time goes on. And we, my friend, are the first two in this thread to bow in reverence to JK Rowling's masterpiece known as the Fantastic Beasts saga.

The progression in Queenie's character was fun and unexpected. That totally came out of left field in that I doubt anyone would've guessed she'd turn to the dark side before seeing the film.

I'm looking forward to the rest of these brilliant prequels, along with the eventual blu-rays so I can rewatch them at my leisure.

I saw it this morning and I thought it was fun. It's not as good as the first and it meanders in the middle.

Nagini could have been cut from the film entirely. On paper her and credence could have been interesting but the film doesn't really give them a chance to feel like a real couple. So Nagini's pleas to Credence's good side felt unearned and honestly you could have saved her for the next film.

Queenie's heel turn worked but might have felt too extreme given what we know of the character/dynamic. To us, moving to England feels like the easier option but maybe showing that it wouldn't be as easily as we thought might have helped us get inside her head.

Leta needed more time on stage. She and Newt had a interesting dynamic that needed more exploration. Having her send Newt after Credence because of the Corvus misdirect would give her more to do as a character and streamline things.

Credence being a lost Dumbledore sibling feels too jump the shark for me. Him being Aberforth's son might have been easier to wrap your head around.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-04-2018 at 06:47 PM. Reason: added more thoughts

Saw it yesterday and liked it better than the first one, which I found a tad boring. This one explored motivations better, wasn't so enamored with its own CGI beasts for the sake of showing CGI beasts, and just felt more consequential. Probably I'm a bit biased because the American version of the Ministry was way to Draconian and Fascist for my tastes. The less of that bad decision is explored, the better. And this one barely showed the Nazi magic guys, so I was happier. But this one had many more nods to the Potter books, too, which is a fanboy thing I enjoyed.

It seemed mega lame that you can apparently just work around a Wizard Blood Bond by destroying the trinket with the bond blood in it.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 12-03-2018 at 04:40 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    It seemed mega lame that you can apparently just work around a Wizard Blood Bond by destroying the trinket with the bond blood in it.
    I felt they made it quite apparent that destroying 'the trinket' wasn't easily done, especially since we know it took almost 20 years after this movie before Dumbledore was able to battle Grindelwald. There are likely aspects of protection along the lines of what the Horcruxes had, and it probably has to be done by one of those bonded (ie Dumbledore) and leads to immense suffering and potential death (which will probably be explored in the fourth movie).

Flamel being so (physically) frail, while highlighting the drawbacks of stone-induced-longevity, was a little off-putting (for me).

Astonishing Member

The nifflers were the best part... it was alright, ‘darker’ than it needed to be, two dead babies seemed overkill. And speaking of that, Grindenwald and company are show to be literally baby killers in the beginning, but then he’s supposed to be giving a somewhat sympathetic, with weirdly placed minority’s metaphors, at the end? Odd...

Thats a bummer as I enjoyed him in the role.

Fantastic beasts seems to suffer from an identity crisis. Its trying to tell the Newt story with the Grindelwald one and not doing either well.

Honestly I wish they were separate from one another. This video summed it up better.

Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-07-2020 at 11:50 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'm confused--what exactly has changed with regards to Depp? Is it just that he's in the news again?

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I'm confused--what exactly has changed with regards to Depp? Is it just that he's in the news again?
    He lost his libel suit against Amber Heard.

I'm guessing Disney figures, if the libel isn't libel (as ruled by the judge) then its true, therefore we don't want a wife beater playing a villain in our franchise.

...anyway, I wonder if this means his career is over, short of Tim Burton casting him in something down the road of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    He lost his libel suit against Amber Heard.

I'm guessing Disney figures, if the libel isn't libel (as ruled by the judge) then its true, therefore we don't want a wife beater playing a villain in our franchise.

...anyway, I wonder if this means his career is over, short of Tim Burton casting him in something down the road of course.
    Fantastic beasts is a Warner franchise, not Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Fantastic beasts is a Warner franchise, not Disney.
    Apologies, got them mixed up. But yeah, they waited till after the suit to ask him to leave and I still...well, not worry per se but I am curious about his future in acting going forward.

Campea explains it here.

BANNED

Phew. The election has been so intense that I have not talked about tv/films for a while. Hopefully things are getting back to normal now.

Hearing this news Depp was fired sucks. I wanted him to stay in the franchise. What seems to be a real factor is both Depp and Amber were abusive and toxic towards eachother but we know society will hold men to a hire standard and judge him more.

Anyone remember that video of Beyoncé's sister physically attacking Jay Z in an elevator? it is played off for laugh and cheap SNL jokes. if Jay z was the one attacking her, jay z would have been suffering even worse consequences than Depp.

I wish WB had not fired Depp because there was evidence that both sides were toxic. maybe Depp should have released an apology to the public to save his career, its not like many people 100% blame him for the relationship and alleged abuse.