Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    The entirety of the DCAU (DC Animated Universe) by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm, stretching from Batman: The Animated Series in 1992 to Superman: The Animated Series in 1996 to Batman Beyond in 1999 to Justice League in 2001 (which became Justice League Unlimited in 2004), along with Static Shock (which wasn't DCAU at first, but incorporated into it later with guest appearances from Batman, Superman, and the Justice League in the second through fourth seasons) and The Zeta Project (spun off from Batman Beyond). Outside that, in the 2000s and onward, we had Teen Titans, Legion of Super-Heroes, The Batman (which did improve as it went on), Green Lantern: The Animated Series (shame it only lasted one season), and Young Justice.

On the Marvel side, there were the 90s X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons, followed by the second seasons of the 90s Iron Man and Fantastic Four cartoons, and the first season of the 90s Incredible Hulk cartoon, as well as the 90s Silver Surfer cartoon. Then in the 2000s, we had X-Men: Evolution, Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes, The Spectacular Spider-Man, Iron Man: Armored Adventures . . . and even in the early 2010s, there was The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

And of course . . . outside both Marvel and DC . . . Spawn on HBO!
    Soooo....no, then.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Soooo....no, then.
    Wow, the level of troll is high.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by the COMET View Post
    I'm a DC animation fan as well, from the Fleischer's Superman up to today's animated movies. And yes, something happened after JLU. Suddenly, DC tv animation shifted from focusing on lore to become popcorn entertainment, probably to reach a larger audience.

For those who like lore and more serious stories there's the animated movies. Are they enough? I could use a couple more releases per year. If HBOMAX becames a success they could start producing animation as well. If they are smart there is.

But a great solution would be japanese companies making DC anime since their anime genre formulas are so saturated now, there are countless school anime titles, idol anime titles, and they are all basically the same. DC characters and history would give them a large library of material to work with.
    Well Dwayne mcduffie died...he was the key writer for the animated jlu and jlu movies...they never have been as good.

Astonishing Member

I miss Dwayne Mcduffie. So sad he’s no longer with us.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    So say we all...

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    Well Dwayne mcduffie died...he was the key writer for the animated jlu and jlu movies...they never have been as good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So say we all...
    Agreed. Very agreed.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Here’s a good video from two years ago, that I think summarizes the issues facing the western animation market.

"I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

One thing I miss from the 90s Animated Series of Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man: big, sweeping orchestras. I get that sci fi shows will be more synth heavy, sure (which is fine), but modern day action shows tend to rely much more on keyboard or much smaller arrangements. Even the DC animated movies with their larger budgets have scores more suitable for television. Sure, it's more budget friendly to have a smaller pool of musicians and have the music be more electronic, but it still sounds like a faux-orchestra. Give these shows their budgets back -- music is not a necessary evil, it's intrinsic to the experience.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    One thing I miss from the 90s Animated Series of Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man: big, sweeping orchestras. I get that sci fi shows will be more synth heavy, sure (which is fine), but modern day action shows tend to rely much more on keyboard or much smaller arrangements. Even the DC animated movies with their larger budgets have scores more suitable for television. Sure, it's more budget friendly to have a smaller pool of musicians and have the music be more electronic, but it still sounds like a faux-orchestra. Give these shows their budgets back -- music is not a necessary evil, it's intrinsic to the experience.
    I understand that feeling. It's why I tend to like many Japanese OSTs more than their dub counterparts. It feels like there's more variance.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I understand that feeling. It's why I tend to like many Japanese OSTs more than their dub counterparts. It feels like there's more variance.
    That's an interesting point. Music scores and soundtracks for superhero (or general action) animation should get a lot more investment than they have been lately. That said, speaking of sci-fi shows being more "synth-heavy," I personally thought Batman Beyond had a great soundtrack that fit the setting.
    The spider is always on the hunt.