Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the COMET View Post

But a great solution would be japanese companies making DC anime since their anime genre formulas are so saturated now, there are countless school anime titles, idol anime titles, and they are all basically the same. DC characters and history would give them a large library of material to work with.
    Add Isekai (Parallel World) anime to the list. Isekai has become the new anime trend. There's a lot of isekai anime.

Inuyashu
    Those Who Hunt Elves (Erufu wo Karu Mono-tachi)
    The Familiar of Zero (Zero no Tsukaima)
    Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World
    KonoSuba: God's Blessing on this Wonderful World!
    Gate: Jieitai Kano Chi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri (Gate: Thus the Japanese Self-Defense Force Fought There)
    Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
    Saga of Tanya the Evil
    Overlord

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or compare TTG! to Justice League Action...
    It's a shame that JLA tried its best to appeal to Cartoon Network's preferences and it was still treated the way it was.

Quote Originally Posted by the COMET View Post
    And yes, something happened after JLU. Suddenly, DC tv animation shifted from focusing on lore to become popcorn entertainment, probably to reach a larger audience.
    That's a bit unfair to all the DC cartoons that continue to prioritize lore and serious storytelling after JLU, especially during the early 2010s.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Add Isekai (Parallel World) anime to the list. Isekai has become the new anime trend. There's a lot of isekai anime.

Inuyashu
    Those Who Hunt Elves (Erufu wo Karu Mono-tachi)
    The Familiar of Zero (Zero no Tsukaima)
    Re:Zero − Starting Life in Another World
    KonoSuba: God's Blessing on this Wonderful World!
    Gate: Jieitai Kano Chi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri (Gate: Thus the Japanese Self-Defense Force Fought There)
    Cautious Hero: The Hero Is Overpowered but Overly Cautious
    Saga of Tanya the Evil
    Overlord
    Don't forget the MMORPG anime craze.

Sword Art Online
    Konosuba
    Boufuri

Astonishing Member

This vid talks about animation and what’s commonly misunderstood about the medium, and touches upon its strengths over live-action.

Pretty tangential to the thread topic but it does examine animation’s role in entertainment as a medium separate from live-action. Those are somewhat germane to the thread topic at hand about the decline of serious animation, and how the reasons behind that being antiquated notion that “animation is for kids.”
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    This vid talks about animation and what’s commonly misunderstood about the medium, and touches upon its strengths over live-action.

Pretty tangential to the thread topic but it does examine animation’s role in entertainment as a medium separate from live-action. Those are somewhat germane to the thread topic at hand about the decline of serious animation, and how the reasons behind that being antiquated notion that “animation is for kids.”
    This video made me remember the "Supernatural" anime. It was amazing to see Sam's powers actually be powerful. You can't really do that with Live-Action.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Young Justice is a good show but I wish the animation looked better.
    Late to answer to this, but when it comes to animation you have to either go with a simplified stylization (i.e. Bruce Timm designs, Spectacular Spider-Man, Avengers EMH, etc) to animate well, or have a more detailed style and the characters don't move as often as it is easier to get off model.

Didn't Neon Genesis Evangelion air in TMNT's old timeslot in Japan?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I am really hoping that Marvel can get back on track now that Jeph "cartoons are for kids and should be aimed at 5 year olds" Loeb is gone. He was the driving force behind the dumbing down of all Marvel animation since Earths Mightest Heroes was cancelled and retooled as dumbed down MCU Avengers cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Late to answer to this, but when it comes to animation you have to either go with a simplified stylization (i.e. Bruce Timm designs, Spectacular Spider-Man, Avengers EMH, etc) to animate well, or have a more detailed style and the characters don't move as often as it is easier to get off model.
    It also depends on the level of budget and time given to the animators. I think that effected the quality of animation in Young Justice: Outsiders compared to the first two seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I am really hoping that Marvel can get back on track now that Jeph "cartoons are for kids and should be aimed at 5 year olds" Loeb is gone. He was the driving force behind the dumbing down of all Marvel animation since Earths Mightest Heroes was cancelled and retooled as dumbed down MCU Avengers cartoons.
    I'm worried that the cartoons are still going to just be MCU tie-in's with Feige running everything now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Or have a decent budget. The first two seasons had both detailed character style and great animation - the new season had less money because of both being on a smaller streaming service and more episodes made.

Oh god, Jeph was responsible for making the cartoons dumbed down trash? Glad he's gone now then.

Astonishing Member

To be fair, he's hardly the only person that had that belief.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    To be fair, he's hardly the only person that had that belief.
    Yeah, I remember those infamous Man of Action videos where they shared that basic belief. Their works pretty much demonstrate that, from Ultimate Spider-Man to Avengers Assemble. Mega Man: Fully Charged was probably their worst offense, and if the sequel comic is any indication, they dumbed down any ideas the writers had for that series.

BANNED

Had there been good superhero animation since 1940s Superman?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    Had there been good superhero animation since 1940s Superman?
    The entirety of the DCAU (DC Animated Universe) by Paul Dini and Bruce Timm, stretching from Batman: The Animated Series in 1992 to Superman: The Animated Series in 1996 to Batman Beyond in 1999 to Justice League in 2001 (which became Justice League Unlimited in 2004), along with Static Shock (which wasn't DCAU at first, but incorporated into it later with guest appearances from Batman, Superman, and the Justice League in the second through fourth seasons) and The Zeta Project (spun off from Batman Beyond). Outside that, in the 2000s and onward, we had Teen Titans, Legion of Super-Heroes, The Batman (which did improve as it went on), Green Lantern: The Animated Series (shame it only lasted one season), and Young Justice.

On the Marvel side, there were the 90s X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons, followed by the second seasons of the 90s Iron Man and Fantastic Four cartoons, and the first season of the 90s Incredible Hulk cartoon, as well as the 90s Silver Surfer cartoon. Then in the 2000s, we had X-Men: Evolution, Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes, The Spectacular Spider-Man, Iron Man: Armored Adventures . . . and even in the early 2010s, there was The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

And of course . . . outside both Marvel and DC . . . Spawn on HBO!
    The spider is always on the hunt.