Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,739

    Default Fate: The Winx Saga

    Yes, we're getting a live action Winx series courtesy of Netflix




    Fate: The Winx Saga follows the coming-of-age journey of five fairies attending Alfea, a magical boarding school in the Otherworld where they must learn to master their powers while navigating love, rivalries, and the monsters that threaten their very existence. From creator Brian Young (The Vampire Diaries), Fate: The Winx Saga is a live-action reimagining of the Italian cartoon Winx Club from Iginio Straffi.

  2. #2

    Default

    I saw the trailer and it looked alright. Here's hoping the fans like it. I remember watching the 4 kids dub in middle school so this is an odd experience.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I saw the trailer and it looked alright. Here's hoping the fans like it. I remember watching the 4 kids dub in middle school so this is an odd experience.
    It seems to change a lot but I will still watch the first few episodes.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

  4. #4

    Default

    I spotted Jacob Dudman in the background of the live action Winx Club trailer.

    Dude started out doing Matt Smith impressions on YouTube. He's come a long way since then .

    Alex McQueen also pops up. He's a British actor who popped up in many comedies. He also played the Master from Doctor Who so maybe i should watch and pick out all the Doctor Who alums?

  5. #5
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,396

    Default

    Well they cut out a few characters like Flora(is mentioned as the cousin of the earth fairy in the cast) and Techna and changed an awful lot, playing down the whole princess of a realm thing...a lot darker than the cartoon with the blood and hacked up bodies, students murdering teachers and the like...also there's only one school and it's co-ed...

  6. #6
    Ultimate Member Wiccan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    11,868

    Default

    I kinda want to watch cause I loved Winx as a child but most of the changes make me so disappointed. I don't mind an edgy "dark" reboot of Winx, but cutting Flora and Tecna, changing Musa's powers so drastically(they could have just gone with "sound" or even "vibrations" if music sounded too silly), apparently Stella is a stereotypical mean girl character... I don't think I can.

  7. #7
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I kinda want to watch cause I loved Winx as a child but most of the changes make me so disappointed. I don't mind an edgy "dark" reboot of Winx, but cutting Flora and Tecna, changing Musa's powers so drastically(they could have just gone with "sound" or even "vibrations" if music sounded too silly), apparently Stella is a stereotypical mean girl character... I don't think I can.
    Yeah, from what I've read, they really screwed Stella's character up.

    It seems less like a live-action Winx Club and more like a Freeform teen drama using the name.

  8. #8
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,396

    Default

    Yeah they kind of just took the source material and went their own way...

  9. #9

    Default

    I finished it and I thought it was pretty good. It's a pretty loose adaptation of the show. So think of it like the Arrowverse version of the Winx Club.

    It probably would've been better animated. Instead of being retooled to be a Chilling Adventures of Sabrina successor, it should've been retooled as a successor to Voltron Legendary Defender.

    Most of the new characters work pretty well so maybe it should've been a spinoff with a new cast. The existing cast are pretty decent but accuracy is hit or miss. I do think Bloom, Sky and Riven are improved over their cartoon counterparts.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-23-2021 at 07:46 PM. Reason: updated with a review.

  10. #10
    www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Is it another Sabrina where they add a bunch of sex and cuss words and call it 'grounded/edgy/mature'...?

  11. #11
    Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    12,396

    Default

    Well there's nothing sexual past anything that you'd see in a soap opera so nothing to much, the M rating is mostly for violence and gore and such...

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,141

    Default

    So it is Winx as YA adaption... And it is pretty solid not great but also not bad .I like the Harry Potter meet Fairies take (and hey lets also have these mostly male monster fighters here as well.) I wasn't expected it to raise the bar in the genre especially based on the source material. It is just a guilty pleasure if you like YA properties, cheesy teen romance shows, Magic and fantasy shows.

    I am still taken back that they use a glittery light upbeat kid show and turned into dark YA concept I did a double take when I first saw the trailer. I wonder what else could get this approach could we get a Kim possible show played as serious as a Jason Bourne movie? Ben 10 as dark horror young adult sci fi show? A mature Power Puff Girls movie directed by Zach Synder? I just love the insanity of the taking property like Winx and use it like this and it remind of when Hollywood director release a fan film of Power Rangers with a dark take.

    Lastly with JK crapping the bed with Harry Potter series and nothing since imo is filling that void, I understand how something like this gets greenlighted. I don't blame them if I was Netflix every year I was trying to make the next Harry Potter, Hunger Games or Twilight.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-24-2021 at 05:13 AM.

  13. #13
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    62,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So it is Winx as YA adaption... And it is pretty solid not great but also not bad .I like the Harry Potter meet Fairies take (and hey lets also have these mostly male monster fighters here as well.) I wasn't expected it to raise the bar in the genre especially based on the source material. It is just a guilty pleasure if you like YA properties, cheesy teen romance shows, Magic and fantasy shows.

    I am still taken back that they use a glittery light upbeat kid show and turned into dark YA concept I did a double take when I first saw the trailer. I wonder what else could get this approach could we get a Kim possible show played as serious as a Jason Bourne movie? Ben 10 as dark horror young adult sci fi show? A mature Power Puff Girls movie directed by Zach Synder? I just love the insanity of the taking property like Winx and use it like this and it remind of when Hollywood director release a fan film of Power Rangers with a dark take.

    Lastly with JK crapping the bed with Harry Potter series and nothing since imo is filling that void, I understand how something like this gets greenlighted. I don't blame them if I was Netflix every year I was trying to make the next Harry Potter, Hunger Games or Twilight.
    That all sounds pretty bad to me...

  14. #14

    Default

    One thing this show kept consistent with the original is Bloom and Sky being the blandest characters in the show. Winx shines when it focuses on the other girls' storylines.

    Flora-I mean "Terra" is not the only OC. Stella was sassy but not as mean spirited as she is in this show. Stella would never hurt her friends over a boy, this "Stella" is just Diaspro with Stella's powers. She even has the same style as Diaspro:



    Musa had angst but she was still fun and light-hearted. Aisha is still strong-willed so they got one thing right there. Beatrix somehow managed to be as campy as the original Trix sisters but without any of their fun.


    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So it is Winx as YA adaption... And it is pretty solid not great but also not bad .I like the Harry Potter meet Fairies take (and hey lets also have these mostly male monster fighters here as well.) I wasn't expected it to raise the bar in the genre especially based on the source material. It is just a guilty pleasure if you like YA properties, cheesy teen romance shows, Magic and fantasy shows.

    I am still taken back that they use a glittery light upbeat kid show and turned into dark YA concept I did a double take when I first saw the trailer. I wonder what else could get this approach could we get a Kim possible show played as serious as a Jason Bourne movie? Ben 10 as dark horror young adult sci fi show? A mature Power Puff Girls movie directed by Zach Synder? I just love the insanity of the taking property like Winx and use it like this and it remind of when Hollywood director release a fan film of Power Rangers with a dark take.

    Lastly with JK crapping the bed with Harry Potter series and nothing since imo is filling that void, I understand how something like this gets greenlighted. I don't blame them if I was Netflix every year I was trying to make the next Harry Potter, Hunger Games or Twilight.
    Funny how you mention Harry Potter, this show feels more like YA harry potter than YA winx.
    Last edited by OopsIdiditagain; 01-24-2021 at 11:09 AM.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I kinda want to watch cause I loved Winx as a child but most of the changes make me so disappointed. I don't mind an edgy "dark" reboot of Winx, but cutting Flora and Tecna, changing Musa's powers so drastically(they could have just gone with "sound" or even "vibrations" if music sounded too silly), apparently Stella is a stereotypical mean girl character... I don't think I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, from what I've read, they really screwed Stella's character up.

    It seems less like a live-action Winx Club and more like a Freeform teen drama using the name.
    I'm convinced Stella is just reskinned Diaspro. Her entire plotline centered around being Sky's old girlfriend who has conflicts with Bloom is exactly the same as Diaspro's.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •