• Snyder Vendetti plus JL Dark / Odyssey

6 3.33%
  • Other

6 3.33%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

1. Giffen/DeMatteis JLI

2. Meltzer/McDuffie/Benes

3. Post G/D, Jurgens/Jones et al. (don't kill me!)

4. Robinson/Bagley era. I recently picked up a set of used trades, and re-read this run for the first time since publication. It's pretty damn good! I think being aware of all the mess behind the scenes at the time (and Cry for Justice! existence) hampered much of my enjoyment the first time around.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Boisterously Confused

I wonder how many of us that voted Satellite had the scales tipped by Ross and Krueger's Justice? I know that there are Satellite era stories I like a lot, but that is probably my favorite.

Extraordinary Member

I’ve always been curious on how well did the Satellite League sell compared to other DC books and Marvel books?
    Last edited by Will Evans; 12-15-2020 at 08:50 PM.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I’ve always been curious on how elk did the Satellite League sell compared to other DC books and Marvel books?
    Nobody ever talks about this, but the period between about the late '60s and the early '70s was the great graveyard of super-hero titles at National Periodicals. Whether it was old favourites like Green Lantern or the Doom Patrol or the new kids like the Creeper and Mister Miracle--they all died out. Even Wonder Woman gave up her costume during this period and was just an adventure woman, not really a super-hero.

Superman and Batman, of course, survived although they had to change substantially to keep attracting readers. The other titles that weathered this toxic environment were THE FLASH and JUSTICE LEAGE OF AMERICA. I think that the Flash survived because that was comfort food--it turned out readers liked good old fashioned super-heroes and all that experimental jazz couldn't sustain an audience. However, I believe the reason that the Justice League kept ongoing was because it was the homeless shelter for all the super-heroes that had nowhere else to go. So if you still wanted to read about Green Lantern, Aquaman, the Atom, Hawkman, Elongated Man and all the guest stars like Adam Strange, Metamorpho, Zatanna, Deadman, the Justice Society, then that was the title where you could find them.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I believe the Satellite JLA book sold well vs other DC titles. I'm sure it was nowhere near what some of Marvel's major books were selling, but by DC Comics standards, I think it did well.

I was a big fan of James Robinson's lineup.

JLA 60.jpg

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

JLA 60.jpg
    I need to reread that run.

Boisterously Confused

JLA 60.jpg
    This would have to be my runner up. If CoIE had launched a new main continuity, and left the old multiverse intact, this is very close to what I would have wanted to see when main continuity characters paid a visit to Earth 1.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

JLA 60.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This would have to be my runner up. If CoIE had launched a new main continuity, and left the old multiverse intact, this is very close to what I would have wanted to see when main continuity characters paid a visit to Earth 1.
    Glad I'm not the only one!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I wonder how many of us that voted Satellite had the scales tipped by Ross and Krueger's Justice? I know that there are Satellite era stories I like a lot, but that is probably my favorite.
    That's one of my favorites too. It's a little too long and there are way too many characters in it, but to have a serious Challenge of The Super Friends story in beautiful comic book form was a dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    That's one of my favorites too. It's a little too long and there are way too many characters in it, but to have a serious Challenge of The Super Friends story in beautiful comic book form was a dream come true.
    A favorite of mine as well, caj. The Post-Crisis version of the SHAZAM!/Marvel Family have never looked lovelier...

Retired

Well if you're going to be like that then--

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    And not to rag on Gerry Conway, but I feel that with a better writer, this could've been a great book.
    They could have had Ray Bradbury write it, yet despite how well written it would have been, it still wouldn't have been the JL for me. As for Conway, I always liked his output - even his Detroit work wasn't that bad, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Voted for JLU, because it was able to incorporate elements of all of the other great eras by that time (Satellite, Giffen/DeMattis, Detroit, Morrison, even Superfriends) without stepping on the toes of the other eras.

Comics-wise, I'd go for Giffen first, then probably Meltzer/Benes/McDuffie, then Robinson, then Morrison/Waid, then the Satellite era. Anything New 52-forward has been garbage.

And special shout-out to the 52 mini-series League of Firestorm, Firehawk, Super-Chief, Bulleteer, and Ambush Bug. Always loved that line-up and would have genuinely followed that team's adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Voted for JLU, because it was able to incorporate elements of all of the other great eras by that time (Satellite, Giffen/DeMattis, Detroit, Morrison, even Superfriends) without stepping on the toes of the other eras.

Comics-wise, I'd go for Giffen first, then probably Meltzer/Benes/McDuffie, then Robinson, then Morrison/Waid, then the Satellite era.
    I copied this. Gonna take this to the local used book store and grab me some JL books based on this list.