• Rebirth

2 1.11%
  • Snyder Vendetti plus JL Dark / Odyssey

6 3.33%
  • Other

6 3.33%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I am reading Geoff Johns JLA run for the first time as I took a hiatus from comics between 2010 to 2017, and...

I love it, but...Hal and Ollie are my two favourite league members, and I can't help....excuse my crudeness....that they come off as acting like tools, which is weird because Geoff is a big Jordan fan.

So total turn off for me.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

JLI because while not the most iconic (which is arguably the satellite league, which I adore), it probably is the one Justice League run that had the most personality. That era really was spectacular.

Satellite is a close second.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I wonder if that means a lot of us are a bunch of old farts?
    Not sure if 31 qualifies as an old fart yet (I certainly feel like one, though) but I would argue most the fans who use message boards as their preferred method of discussing comics as opposed to more contemporary alternatives (reddit, discord, etc) are also the kind of fans who would go back and read older material from the '70s and so forth. Not everyone, mind, but I think if tallied most readers here would say they read backward and foreward as material availability allows. Lots of the younger readers read the seminal works of yesteryear with respect to their characters they follow (GA/GL for Ollie, Mosaic for John Stewart, etc). The JLI/Satellite eras get mentioned so often I would wager most the newer readers at least bomb in and check them out on comixology or DCU.

A lot of books I love are from before I was born, but I got them through back issues and reprints and they make up some of my favorite stories. Hell, I wasn't alive for what I think of as my favorite era of Batman.

Also, yeah, most of us are old.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-16-2020 at 09:14 PM.

The Satellite lineup is a continuation of the Gardner Fox/original lineup. I think that's what gives it its staying power (and my vote), that it's the classic/the original and it had built up a history of stories for over 20 years. The other lineups are necessarily shorter-lived. Once Crisis on Infinite Earths happened, that many years of uninterrupted continuity became almost impossible.

And I really miss Green Arrow and Black Canary playing such a large role. For a very long time, it seemed like they were in almost every issue and that makes it frustrating to me that Ollie hasn't been a serious JL/A member since, when? I'm pretty sure it was the Satellite League. The fact that Ollie and Dinah played such a large role in the Injustice series' has a lot to do with my love for that epic.

My runner-up is the Meltzer/McDuffie run, partly because it's just fantastic and partly because of the nostalgic callbacks to the early-to-Satellite era history. Pretty sure Meltzer and I are about the same age and grew up reading the same comics, because his love for the Satellite lineup is strong.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 12-16-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    The Satellite lineup is a continuation of the Gardner Fox/original lineup. I think that's what gives it its staying power (and my vote), that it's the classic/the original and it had built up a history of stories for over 20 years. The other lineups are necessarily shorter-lived. Once Crisis on Infinite Earths happened, that many years of uninterrupted continuity became almost impossible.

And I really miss Green Arrow and Black Canary playing such a large role. For a very long time, it seemed like they were in almost every issue and that makes it frustrating to me that Ollie hasn't been a serious JL/A member since, when? I'm pretty sure it was the Satellite League. The fact that Ollie and Dinah played such a large role in the Injustice series' has a lot to do with my love for that epic.

My runner-up is the Meltzer/McDuffie run, partly because it's just fantastic and partly because of the nostalgic callbacks to the early-to-Satellite era history. Pretty sure Meltzer and I are about the same age and grew up reading the same comics, because his love for the Satellite lineup is strong.
    I totally miss the Ollie, Dinah, Hal trinity, spot on with that one.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    And I really miss Green Arrow and Black Canary playing such a large role. For a very long time, it seemed like they were in almost every issue and that makes it frustrating to me that Ollie hasn't been a serious JL/A member since, when? I'm pretty sure it was the Satellite League.
    Agree. Ollie and Dinah were a major part of the Satellite League. Those issues where Green Arrow temporarily left (#182-200), while good issues, there was a lull without him being there for sure.

Mighty Member

I finally finished 2 years of Geoff Johns JLA and discovered the following...

1) It is the first work by Johns that I do not like. I think the writing is shoddy overall, especially when I compare it to his JSA run.

2) Either Ryan Reynolds killed off Hal Jordan, or DC has an agenda against him and can't wait for his fanbase to putter out? He's only in the series for 1 year, and behaves like well...a bit of a tool.
    Has Hal even been in the JLA at over the last 20 years, despite his popularity? I recall Meltzer's run, which was what 1 or 2 years at the most? and 1 year with Johns?

3) I totally understand now why John Stewart fans hate Geoff Johns. After Hal leaves Geoff could have brought in John, or even Kyle, but what does he do? He goes out and adds yet another Green Lantern? (Jessica Cruz)

There was already 5 or 6 notable Green Lantern's, why on earth would you make another one! They've become a dime a dozen.

Anyways my negative critique.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post

1) It is the first work by Johns that I do not like. I think the writing is shoddy overall, especially when I compare it to his JSA run.

2) Either Ryan Reynolds killed off Hal Jordan, or DC has an agenda against him and can't wait for his fanbase to putter out? He's only in the series for 1 year, and behaves like well...a bit of a tool.
    Has Hal even been in the JLA at over the last 20 years, despite his popularity? I recall Meltzer's run, which was what 1 or 2 years at the most? and 1 year with Johns?

3) I totally understand now why John Stewart fans hate Geoff Johns. After Hal leaves Geoff could have brought in John, or even Kyle, but what does he do? He goes out and adds yet another Green Lantern? (Jessica Cruz)

There was already 5 or 6 notable Green Lantern's, why on earth would you make another one! They've become a dime a dozen.

The decision to portray Hal like that didn't made any sense to me.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    The decision to portray Hal like that didn't made any sense to me.
    I didn't quite get it either....especially from the writer who brought him back, and put Green Lantern at the top of DC's sales list.

You see so little of Hal in the JLA these days that I was hoping for a little more personality wise, or at least a long term stay in the league for a while, instead of leaving 12 issues in.

Extraordinary Member

Pretty much agree with everything you said, although I'm not much of a Geoff Johns fan.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Pretty much agree with everything you said, although I'm not much of a Geoff Johns fan.
    Thanks. Would I really would like to know, if anyone has the stats on this is...

Out of the 15 years since Hal's return, particularly between 2005 and 2009, when he was pushing Green Lantern sales through the roof and outselling Superman much of the time....

Just how many years has he actually been featured on the Justice League from then to now?

Extraordinary Member

Well, we got over a 100 votes on this thread (thanks for everyone that voted and commented) and the Satellite League is killing it.

Anyone else want to vote on this or are we calling it a done deal?

Thanks. Would I really would like to know, if anyone has the stats on this is...

Out of the 15 years since Hal's return, particularly between 2005 and 2009, when he was pushing Green Lantern sales through the roof and outselling Superman much of the time....

Just how many years has he actually been featured on the Justice League from then to now?
    I have no stats, but it seems like Hal has popped up from time to time on the League for random stories (like Hitch's first arc, "Darkseid War" or the first "Metal" mini) rather than be an official member for any extended period.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I have no stats, but it seems like Hal has popped up from time to time on the League for random stories (like Hitch's first arc, "Darkseid War" or the first "Metal" mini) rather than be an official member for any extended period.
    yeah, really random and from where i'm at right now, really rare. not just the league but it feels like the whole dcu in general.

Satellite League (currently at 38 votes) has more than twice as many votes as the second-place choice JL Unlimited Animated Series (which had 17 votes at last check).