8 4.44%
  • Rebirth

2 1.11%
  • Snyder Vendetti plus JL Dark / Odyssey

6 3.33%
  • Other

6 3.33%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

I voted for the animated series. Couldn’t bring myself to vote for the satellite era simply because of its lack of diversity. Not a single Black, Asian or Latino member to be seen, although it’s understandable given the time period that era comes from.

Justice League Unlimited was my introduction to DC, so I may be partly biased lol

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

My preferred League is something similar to the Satellite era or the JLU animated series. I hate the Big 7 concept because it gets boring fast. When a writer does not have characters he can actually do things with the book just turns into a big boring summer blockbuster style book. A writer needs those B and C listers that don't have their own book to really tell stories that stand out.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    My preferred League is something similar to the Satellite era or the JLU animated series. I hate the Big 7 concept because it gets boring fast. When a writer does not have characters he can actually do things with the book just turns into a big boring summer blockbuster style book. A writer needs those B and C listers that don't have their own book to really tell stories that stand out.
    Absolutely.

But somehow my favorite lineups seem to be among the least favorable in history... *looks at Jurgens and Robinson*
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Absolutely.

But somehow my favorite lineups seem to be among the least favorable in history... *looks at Jurgens and Robinson*
    The Jurgens line-up, in theory, should be pretty damn good. Unfortunately, the execution by Jurgens was just....awful. Looking back, it just reads like Jurgens trying to do a "take that" to Giffen and DeMatteis.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    The Jurgens line-up, in theory, should be pretty damn good. Unfortunately, the execution by Jurgens was just....awful. Looking back, it just reads like Jurgens trying to do a "take that" to Giffen and DeMatteis.
    I definitely see how one might think that. However I'm pretty sure the "take that" was coming from editorial, and Jurgens was just their tool. Giffen & DeMatteis have stated that with the exception of their original editor Andy Helfer, no one at DC liked what they were doing with the League, and couldn't wait to make it "serious" again. As the Superman titles were their biggest sellers at the time, Jurgens was given the book and told to take a 180 in tone, and he did. The success of which is debatable.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

In other media it would have to be the animated series. It was my introduction to the League and one of the best versions ever to this day.

In comics, while Meltzer/McDuffie had the best line-up, my favorite runs are Morrison's and Giffen and DeMatteis' JLI. But as much as I love JLI, to me it is its own separate thing. It's not an attempt at the usual JL formula, so I think Morrison is the one who took the team's concept and did the most with it.
    Honorable mention goes to the Satellite era, because probably none of the runs I mentioned would have happened without it. It's hugely influential, but overall the stories in that run are not up there with JLI or Morrison's JLA.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Agree with this. Jurgens (and Gerald Jones over on JLE) had amazing potential with the characters they had (Giffen was denied most of these heavy hitters for his JLI/JLA). But as you say, the execution left a lot to be desired.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Morrison's JLA has my vote

Roster: His JLA had the best of the best. The heavy hitters and most well known names. That's what the JLA should be in my books

Almost Godlike: When I read this JLA, it really felt these were the planet's protectors and they were watching over us. Evil Forces would really have a fight on their hands if they got their attention

Everybody got the spotlight: Each member had focus while at the same time, not at the expense of the other.

New Reader Friendly: Their GL was Kyle at the time, not Hal. Kyle was still new to the game so you saw much of the experience through his eyes.

Stories: They were basic (which I don't see often with Grant's Work) but it really worked out. Martian Invasion was the first arc.

With 119 people having voted,
    * Satellite League = 40 votes
    * JL Unlimited Animated Series = 21 votes
    * Morrison's JLA followed by Waid = 19 votes
    * Giffen DeMatteis Justice League International = 13 votes
    * Meltzer Benes McDuffie League = 8 votes

All other options currently have 5 votes or less.

(Justice League Detroit, Extreme Justice / Task Force, and Rebirth don't haver any votes at present.

Incredible Member

Grant Morrison's League, it was the 1st mainstream comic I ever read and set the standard for what to expect in a superteam book.

Honorary Mentions go to the Satellite Era (beautiful choice of teammates), JLU (fantastic series), and Brad Meltizer's League (great take on a modern style League; the animated Series "Young Justice" took alot of notes from this era).

I voted for Detroit, mostly because there are so many versions I love (including the Detroit years), that I couldn't make up my mind, and I KNEW that no one would have picked that one (Hmmmm. Now that I think about it, the Extreme Justice era would also have been a sure bet).

Peace

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    With 119 people having voted,
    * Satellite League = 40 votes
    * JL Unlimited Animated Series = 21 votes
    * Morrison's JLA followed by Waid = 19 votes
    * Giffen DeMatteis Justice League International = 13 votes
    * Meltzer Benes McDuffie League = 8 votes

All other options currently have 5 votes or less.

(Justice League Detroit, Extreme Justice / Task Force, and Rebirth don't haver any votes at present.
    Wow it is great to see the Satellite era just crushing the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Wow it is great to see the Satellite era just crushing the others.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    Ah, the addition of Hawkwoman finally made this picture perfect.

Peace

Satellite era