Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Honestly if there were one person they could replace Kennedy with I'd want it to be Filoni, he has a deep respect and love for the franchise and its past that comes through in virtually every project he's involved with.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

If someone can give Finn, Poe and Rose some proper narrative and click better as an ensemble I am all for it, especially with Finn the Jedi. Boyega would probably push for a black writer or director though.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    If someone can give Finn, Poe and Rose some proper narrative and click better as an ensemble I am all for it, especially with Finn the Jedi. Boyega would probably push for a black writer or director though.
    TW writing and someone else directing can easily happen with this.

KK never said he was doing both.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I have no idea if Disney would want to do it, and I somehow doubt that John Boyega would be up for it after his experience with the ST, but I feel like Waititi would be the perfect director to do Finn: Jedi Knight movies and really give the character his due. I feel like Finn's attitude and Boyega's gift for being a little bit snarky would mesh well with Waititi's style, and lend itself to some comedy along with some great heroics and action.

Of all the ST characters, I feel like Finn is not only the most deserving of more material, since his storyline got so completely shafted, but also the one with the most potential. There is a fantastic Star Wars hero in there, and Boyega has the charisma and earnestness to play it delightfully. Though I'm biased here, because I really want to see the character acknowledged as a Jedi, and I feel like he could easily be a very different kind of Jedi that we're used to seeing. Somebody a little bit more Han Solo than Luke Skywalker, in method.

Do I think it's at all likely? No, no I do not. But I can dream.

Honestly Everyone's story got shafted in the Sequel Trilogy, except of Course Rey and Kylo. But I definitely feel you on that Finn situation. Sooo much potential, and it sorely wasted in both actually all three movies. After he's introduced and then introduced to Rey it all becomes about him chasing her or helping to boost her. I would love see something explore him struggling with his decision to desert and his budding force sensitivity, but of course that will most likely never happen.

And as far as Taika Waititi directing or being involved with Star Wars....I'm cautiously optimistic. He brings alot of comedic elements with him and for some reason Disney seems to be linking Star Wars with Comedy, which kinda rubs me the wrong way a bit. Of course I realize I'll have to adapt to new things but....Star Wars has kinda always been a bit dark with a few moments of Levity thrown in.

In A New Hope, the First scene is a bunch of Rebels being Murdered. Then Luke's Uncle and Aunt were burned alive and we actually saw their bodies. Arms are chopped off. etc

I'm just not sure, that Taika Waititi could bring something that dark to the screen. It'll have that over the top comedy with maybe a few dark moments, Kinda like Thor Ragnarök which never really dealt with Thor losing his father, or losing his friends. At least the Russo Brothers let him have a moment to reflect. Waititi just went for the Zinger, so him do a show with Finn wouldn't really work, at least IMO. I don't think he'd let Finn really reflect and feel the weight of his decision to defect, but again we'll see, whatever he does I'll judge the material once it comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    Honestly Everyone's story got shafted in the Sequel Trilogy, except of Course Rey and Kylo. But I definitely feel you on that Finn situation. Sooo much potential, and it sorely wasted in both actually all three movies. After he's introduced and then introduced to Rey it all becomes about him chasing her or helping to boost her. I would love see something explore him struggling with his decision to desert and his budding force sensitivity, but of course that will most likely never happen.

And as far as Taika Waititi directing or being involved with Star Wars....I'm cautiously optimistic. He brings alot of comedic elements with him and for some reason Disney seems to be linking Star Wars with Comedy, which kinda rubs me the wrong way a bit. Of course I realize I'll have to adapt to new things but....Star Wars has kinda always been a bit dark with a few moments of Levity thrown in.

In A New Hope, the First scene is a bunch of Rebels being Murdered. Then Luke's Uncle and Aunt were burned alive and we actually saw their bodies. Arms are chopped off. etc

I'm just not sure, that Taika Waititi could bring something that dark to the screen. It'll have that over the top comedy with maybe a few dark moments, Kinda like Thor Ragnarök which never really dealt with Thor losing his father, or losing his friends. At least the Russo Brothers let him have a moment to reflect. Waititi just went for the Zinger, so him do a show with Finn wouldn't really work, at least IMO. I don't think he'd let Finn really reflect and feel the weight of his decision to defect, but again we'll see, whatever he does I'll judge the material once it comes out.
    Mandalorian and Clone Wars weren't overtly comedic at least...plus, Rogue One.

There is a ton of comedy in Star Wars, period. OT, PT, ST ... all had comedy.

Han is a card early on in Star Wars, having some of the best bits of humor. In fact the whole detention center bit is probably the most hilarious comedy scene in all of Star Wars. Han had lots of humor in all his appearances. His brashness made him endearing.

Obi-Wan in the PT had lots of cheeky, situational comedy moments. They even rose into a meme ... he's a very sassy character. Obi was very charming and full of spirit until he is broken in RotS.

Poe in the ST had very charismatic, sardonic comedy moments. His glibness and cockiness led to lots of humor. The irreverent humor helped him connect and cope. It was part of his allure.

Their humor is probably why those 3 are my favorite movie characters (in that order).

The OT had lots of visual gags. Lando brings in the one-upmanship humor. Yoda was the mentor that found the humor in things.

The PT had site and fart gags. Threepio and R2 run the silent & loud comedy duo routine. They bicker like an old, married couple.

The ST had visual site gags, too. Luke channels the inner farmboy at times to right Rey on the correct path with humor. Leia drops the sardonic bombs in all 3 movies.

K2-SO is a, sometimes literal, walking sarcastic quip machine.

Solo is a movie of Han, the most comedic main character in the OT.

I mean really? You guys are worried about comedy in Star Wars? It has been there since 1977. That was always part of the charm of the series.

They are EPICS at heart, so they should have a bit of everything. War, romance, comedy, tragedy ...
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-15-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

We're getting rumors now that Patty Jenkins is eying a post RoS film with a female squad leader taking over Luke's squadron.

So no Wedge ...

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    We're getting rumors now that Patty Jenkins is eying a post RoS film with a female squad leader taking over Luke's squadron.

So no Wedge ...
    Considering that would be before Luke’s day they’d be essentially showing its formation, and I assume they would have a younger version of Wedge anyway. Given Patty and Kathleen are involved it’s pretty inevitable they would have a female lead. I have faith in Patty though, especially if Takia is writing.

Considering that would be before Luke’s day they’d be essentially showing its formation, and I assume they would have a younger version of Wedge anyway. Given Patty and Kathleen are involved it’s pretty inevitable they would have a female lead. I have faith in Patty though, especially if Takia is writing.
    RoS = Rise of Skywalker.

Ohhhh, my bad. Well old Wedge and Poe could turn up then.

Ohhhh, my bad. Well old Wedge and Poe could turn up then.
    No worries, I get RotS and RoS mixed up all the time anymore, too.

I could see Wedge at least being in there in a mentor role.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Since she appears to be staying I'll have to take that off the list.

List of things I was chastised for saying about Disney Star Wars that turned out to be right.

They had no plan.
    Everything came too easy for Rey.
    Finn was handled poorly.
    Holdo's reason for withholding her plan from everyone was stupid.
    Hyperspace ramming breaks Star Wars.
    Leia should have died when she was sucked out of the airlock.
    Rian Johnson will not direct another Star Wars movie.
    Palpatine was never meant to come back.
    The Last Jedi damaged the trilogy, you just didn't notice because it was riding the goodwill The Force Awakens generated. It left no coattails for The Rise Of Skywalker to ride and actively turned some fans off Star Wars.
    Rose was a poorly thought out character.
    They should have let Finn sacrifice himself in The Last Jedi. You may think he wouldn't have succeeded but you are In the minority because all the casual movie viewers believed he would have succeeded.
    Maz was a terrible character.
    Luke was handled poorly.
    Kylo was a poor villain and his look was ripped off from Revan.
    Doctor Aphra will not get a show.

Thing that I had to remove from list.

Kennedy will leave once her contract is up.
    Why you think no Doctor Aphra show?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Why you think no Doctor Aphra show?

The Doctor Aphra rule is still in effect. It's a rule that states that Doctor Aphra cannot be mentioned without a far more popular character that she is a pale imitation/homage to. I have seen Aphra compared to Indiana Jones, Lara Croft, Nathan Drake, James Bond, Han Solo* except y'know, If they were in Star Wars. The list just goes on and on. The character has never moved beyond it. People seem to like the idea of the character more than the actual character.

*Han is already in Star Wars, but what if he was an Indiana Jones type instead of a smuggler? That question kind of makes the universe cave in on itself....
    Last edited by Anthony W; 12-22-2020 at 07:00 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    The Doctor Aphra rule is still in effect. It's a rule that states that Doctor Aphra cannot be mentioned without a far more popular character that she is a pale imitation/homage to. I have seen Aphra compared to Indiana Jones, Lara Croft, Nathan Drake, James Bond, Han Solo* except y'know, If they were in Star Wars. The list just goes on and on. The character has never moved beyond it. People seem to like the idea of the character more than the actual character.

*Han is already in Star Wars, but what if he was an Indiana Jones type instead of a smuggler? That question kind of makes the universe cave in on itself....
    Nothing wrong with that if that’s just the one sentence description of her (without getting into details).

I mean look at The Mandalorian. It’s basically Lone Wolf and Cub in Star Wars.