Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Marvel will not recast T’Challa

Black Panther 2 is due to premiere July 8, 2022. T’Challa will not be recast to honor Chadwick Boseman.

There's no way to ignore Boseman's passing. I think if maybe the whole point of the film is dealing with the vacuum left by his absence. It won't be until the end of the film that a new Black Panther is anointed - or maybe even several characters.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    There's no way to ignore Boseman's passing. I think if maybe the whole point of the film is dealing with the vacuum left by his absence. It won't be until the end of the film that a new Black Panther is anointed - or maybe even several characters.
    Bring back Michael B Jordan?

Only if Giancarlo Esposito was a bit younger...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Bring back Michael B Jordan?

Only if Giancarlo Esposito was a bit younger...
    I feel like if they replace the shove the female heir apparent to the back of the line in favor of a man, there's a great deal of people who will absolutely revolt.

(Yes, I know the comics well enough that they could be legitimate reasons why Shuri doesn't take up the mantle, but it won't be seen that way)

That said, MBJ could come back in a supporting role. I like the "several characters" idea.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    I feel like if they replace the shove the female heir apparent to the back of the line in favor of a man, there's a great deal of people who will absolutely revolt.

(Yes, I know the comics well enough that they could be legitimate reasons why Shuri doesn't take up the mantle, but it won't be seen that way)

That said, MBJ could come back in a supporting role. I like the "several characters" idea.
    That would be a rippoff of Vixen and affect Vixen making her appearance on big screen, meh.

As i thought, the death of the actor meant the death of Black Panther's cinematogaphic career.

Ultimate Member

They should re-cast T’Challa. There are a lot of young, talented black actors on the verge of breaking out that would play the character brilliantly.

I don’t like the idea that “only one person can play a character”. If that had been applied to other superheroes we never would have gotten multiple Batman’s, Superman’s, James Bonds e.t.c. Now, the character of T’Challa has been buried forever. Terrible idea.

And no, I don’t support the ladies on social media calling for Shuri to be the next BP. I wanted to see more of T’Challa’s stories on screen.

Astonishing Member

Yes, I think you could recast the role and not get backlash for it...if anything recasting it honors the character Chadwick Boseman brought to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    They should re-cast T’Challa. There are a lot of young, talented black actors on the verge of breaking out that would play the character brilliantly.

I don’t like the idea that “only one person can play a character”. If that had been applied to other superheroes we never would have gotten multiple Batman’s, Superman’s, James Bonds e.t.c. Now, the character of T’Challa has been buried forever. Terrible idea.

And no, I don’t support the ladies on social media calling for Shuri to be the next BP. I wanted to see more of T’Challa’s stories on screen.
    The other recastings were under different circumstances, though. Boseman had a huge impact, as the character and as a man and as an actor. Unless they were willing to shelve the character for a few more years before bringing him back, maybe. But now, with the same cast as the original BP in this same MCU, it would be insensitive to the fans, which would affect the bottom line. (my opinion of course) I mean, would you have wanted Leto's Joker to pop up in "Dark Knight Rises" replacing Ledger so soon after his indelible performance?
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-10-2020 at 11:58 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Cosign!

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Yes, I think you could recast the role and not get backlash for it...if anything recasting it honors the character Chadwick Boseman brought to life.
    Cosign!

It isn't forever it is iteration, Every single thing you have mention there has been rebooted. The MCU will be reboot at some point as well, They are about to sit original Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow as well, Unluckly for us Chadwick passed before we could get a satisfying run with Black panther while those characters got a good long run. But to complain we are losing Black Panther forever is silly, They are doing the same thing with a bunch of other characters the MCU is a finite universe.

And it makes sense Actors have like a 10 to 15 year window playing character, In a world where they are telling a continuous story it makes sense to sit down characters. Again it sucks for us that Chadwick/Black Panther didn't get to shine in MCU that would be revolving around him. I get why Black Panther fans want a recasting, I would have loved some young black actor to get a chance to play him. I understand as Black man the importance of Black Panther and hero getting to shine as the Top hero But we always knew that Shuri for some period of time would get a shot being black panther the timeline just got speed up.

This apparently what they felt the most comfortable with doing. This what the actors, marvel, and director were most comfortable with doing. That is also a big factor I am assuming people closest to the sitution wanted this to happen.Now if it turns out Coogler and actors wanted a recast I will feel differently then but if this what the cast wanted I am fine with it.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-11-2020 at 12:18 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The other recastings were under different circumstances, though. Boseman had a huge impact, as the character and as a man and as an actor. Unless they were willing to shelve the character for a few more years before bringing him back, maybe. But now, with the same cast as the original BP in this same MCU, it would be insensitive to the fans, which would affect the bottom line. (my opinion of course) I mean, would you have wanted Leto's Joker to pop up in "Dark Knight Rises" replacing Ledger so soon after his indelible performance?
    I understand this.

I think Disney should have let the IP rest a bit. Maybe do some animated stuff in between to fill the gap and then bring back in a new actor.

Ending the charactet on-screen is taking away one of the premiere black superheroes away from current and future generations of young black people.

I think continuing the character on-screen is a better way to honor Boseman rather simply burying the character forever.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It isn't forever it is iteration, Every single thing you have mention there has been rebooted. The MCU will be reboot at some point as well, They are about to sit original Iron Man, Captain America, Black Widow as well, Unfourntley for us Chadwick passed before we could get a satisfying run with Black panther. But to complain we are losing Black Panther forever is silly, They are doing the same thing with a bunch of other characters the MCU is a finite universe.

And it makes sense Actors have like a 10 to 15 year window playing character, In a world where they are telling a continuous story it makes sense to sit down characters. Again it sucks for us that Chadwick didn't get to shine in MCU that would be revolving around him. I get why Black Panther fans want a recasting, I understand as Black man the importance of Black Panther and hero getting to shine as the Top hero but this apparently what they felt the most comfortable with doing. I would have love some young black actor to get chance to play him. But we always knew that Shuri for some period of time would get a shot being black panther the timeline just got speed up.
    True

Then I think Disney should have let BP rest a bit rather than bringing out a new movie without T'Challa.

But to your point, I hope the universe gets re-booted and we get to see T'Challa again.

Anyone got a link to the story?

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Anyone got a link to the story?
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/m...-4-1234851345/