Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Anybody think that the green robots kind of look like the 'grunt' suits from Gundam? Specifically, the legs are nearly identical to the Zaku II, while the top looks a lot like the Amphibious Z'gok. They also have the green (and red!) coloring of the Zaku, and the mono-eye that both suits share.

https://twitter.com/mitaknight_/stat...54555341565955
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    The music they selected for the trailer was......interesting
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

So is Zurg going to be in this?

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    So is Zurg going to be in this?
    It's been hinted at in interviews, not to mention there being a shot where you can see some Hornets.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It's been hinted at in interviews, not to mention there being a shot where you can see some Hornets.
    And they have "Z" on them.

(I am going to be disappointed if Wayne Knight isn't in this).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

(I am going to be disappointed if Wayne Knight isn't in this).
    He did good as the character, but I wonder if his take fits the tone of the movie as being sold.

(All-New Wolverine #4)

He did good as the character, but I wonder if his take fits the tone of the movie as being sold.

Depends how they characterize Zerg.

Depends how they characterize Zerg.
    Obviously, but the movie seems to be sold a more serious adventure than something like the cartoon that doesn't take itself too seriously. Not sure cartoon Zurg would fit that. Course, I would argue that giving Zurg a personality beyond "Darth Vader parody" is a must be, however they decide to carry it out.

Wonder if they'll build off the "I'm your father" thing in the Toy Story lore or just adapt that out, like the cartoon?
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Chris Evans honestly sounds like he's trying to channel a little of Tim Allen's Buzz in there, which is cool.

Honestly this feels a little more like a Summer Blockbuster than your typical Disney animated film, although there's still that humor in there, but it's a nice change of pace .

I guess Socks never made it to the cartoon or the actual Buzz Lighyear toy .

Zurg! And he looks even more robot here.

Looks good.

Zurg! And he looks even more robot here.
    Wonder if it's a mech suit?
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Wonder if it's a mech suit?
    Well, if he's canonically Buzz's dad...

Very current commentary!

Any way, the film was a mild disappointment. It sort of fell into grey zone of being too convoluted for kids, but not interesting enough for adults. It wasn't bad, but it was just somewhat boring and felt uninspired. Dialogue was fairly fun, but the Buzz character himself felt bit too clueless for a larger-than-life character who would get kids want his action figure.

I'm late to the party on this, but I just watched Lightyear on Disney+.

They tried to say, this movie launched the Buzz Lightyear craze that made Andy go space crazy and get a Buzz Lightyear action figure.

It wasn't good enough to do that. They needed more Buzz being a hero. More Zerg being a villain. They needed Zerg to be a villain. A time displaced Buzz who simply wanted to undo his past mistakes is a terrible villain concept.

This movie should have been so much better. Bolt has better hero scenes than Lightyear.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I'm late to the party on this, but I just watched Lightyear on Disney+.

They tried to say, this movie launched the Buzz Lightyear craze that made Andy go space crazy and get a Buzz Lightyear action figure.
    I actually liked that meta touch to frame everything.

[QUOTE=LordMikel;6161220]It wasn't good enough to do that. They needed more Buzz being a hero. More Zerg being a villain. They needed Zerg to be a villain. A time displaced Buzz who simply wanted to undo his past mistakes is a terrible villain concept.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    This movie should have been so much better. Bolt has better hero scenes than Lightyear.
    Actually, I think making Zurg a Buzz who became consumed with his "mission" rather than the Darth Vader parody in the other pieces of the franchise was stroke of genius; it thematically ties with the point of the story more so than a generic conqueror would. Buzz has essentially been in conflict with himself over the whole movie, so making it a literal fight between himself and the person he would've become if he didn't learn to let go is an effective capper to everything. It might not be as splashy, but it's more emotional and personal, and that's exactly what a Pixar movie should be.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)