Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Archie Christmas Spectacular #1 (2020)

Did anybody else get a copy of

Archie Christmas Spectacular #1 (February 2021 cover-date)

It's done old-school style, so of course it could be a bit silly (and not at all edgy).

But you know what? I haven't bought/read a regular Archie comic book in years (at least a decade maybe?), but I use to sometimes get the Christmas issues back in the last century, and this was very good "comfort-read" as far as I was concerned. It wouldn't necessarily cause me to start buying/reading Archie comics (either recent or older) on a regular basis, but I would probably pick up another Christmas issue when they put one out (as long as it's in this older style and NOT a "digest-sized").

Astonishing Member

Almost everything (or maybe in fact everything?) that's put out by Archie right now is reprint material. From the preview of Archie Christmas Spectacular #1 on Comixology I see that the first story is "The Great Tree Spree", written by Bill Golliher with art by Rex Lindsey. According to the Great Comics Database, this story was first published in Archie & Fiends #45, dated Feb. 2001. It was then reprinted in Archie Double Digest #223 (Dec. 2011) and in Archie and Me Comics Digest #12 (Dec. 2018). I don't know what other stories are in this book, but I would expect that they date from that same general turn-of-the-century era.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Almost everything (or maybe in fact everything?) that's put out by Archie right now is reprint material. From the preview of Archie Christmas Spectacular #1 on Comixology I see that the first story is "The Great Tree Spree", written by Bill Golliher with art by Rex Lindsey. According to the Great Comics Database, this story was first published in Archie & Fiends #45, dated Feb. 2001. It was then reprinted in Archie Double Digest #223 (Dec. 2011) and in Archie and Me Comics Digest #12 (Dec. 2018). I don't know what other stories are in this book, but I would expect that they date from that same general turn-of-the-century era.
    Hey, that's no problem as far as I'm concerned since I really haven't regularly bought Archie comic books since . . . the 1970s?

Extraordinary Member

I picked up the Halloween one this year and will probably pick this up if it is still on the shelves and I remember too. There is a pile of Christmas digests somewhere I should also remember to pull out and reread too.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I picked up the Halloween one this year and will probably pick this up if it is still on the shelves and I remember too. There is a pile of Christmas digests somewhere I should also remember to pull out and reread too.
    Digest aren't as much fun to read these days.
    Print size is sometimes a bit too challenging for these old eyes.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Digest aren't as much fun to read these days.
    Print size is sometimes a bit too challenging for these old eyes.
    I'm old, and that's one reason why I buy most of my comics nowadays on Comixology. I appreciate the size of a word balloon when you view a comic panel-by-panel, with a panel being the height of your browser on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    what are the monthly books from Archie publishing? How have they been affected by Covid-19? Maybe they figure it's best to coast on archival material for now. Or maybe going bi-monthly is where it's at. Is the company still fiscally intact? Doesn't seem like they're interested in merging with any media companies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Doesn't seem like they're interested in merging with any media companies.
    Or maybe no one is interested in buying them? I believe the last issue of their eopnymous Archie comic was #713, which came out on July 29. Since that's their monthly flagship title, it would seem that they are now solely a reprint house. I too wonder whether that's temporary due to the circumstances of 2020 or whether it's just their new business model.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Hey, that's no problem as far as I'm concerned since I really haven't regularly bought Archie comic books since . . . the 1970s?
    Good to see you back, Major.

Have you tried the new Sabrina books by Kelly Thompson and Veronica Fish? I thought they were fun. Didn't really feel edgy so much as updated. Worth the price for the art alone in my opinion, though your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Good to see you back, Major.

Have you tried the new Sabrina books by Kelly Thompson and Veronica Fish? I thought they were fun. Didn't really feel edgy so much as updated. Worth the price for the art alone in my opinion, though your mileage may vary.
    I originally bought Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1 back in 2014, but after the second issue got delayed six months I didn't bother with any other issues. I was buying a couple of other Dark Circle titles as well, but when those started having erratic schedules (and one just had an issue that never seemed to get published), any interest I had just ended.

Astonishing Member

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is a first-rate horror comic by any standard. It's terrible that the series was dropped after 8 issues. This is why we can't have nice things. However, as a true horror comic, it was perhaps out of place in its being published by Archie. The more recent 5-issue mini Sabrina the Teenage Witch and its current follow-up mini Sabrina: Something Wicked are much more nearly typical Archie fare (by current standards, that is, following the relaunch if its titles in 2015), but they're nevertheless worth a read.

I originally bought Chilling Adventures of Sabrina #1 back in 2014, but after the second issue got delayed six months I didn't bother with any other issues. I was buying a couple of other Dark Circle titles as well, but when those started having erratic schedules (and one just had an issue that never seemed to get published), any interest I had just ended.
    Oh I don't enjoy Chilling Adventures. I meant the Thompson/Fish run. It's a more traditional take on her that I thought kept the spirit of the character intact. The second series is wrapping up soon, though it got delayed here and there due when the industry had hiccups. Honestly, though, delays is starting to seem like Archie's game plan.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Oh I don't enjoy Chilling Adventures. I meant the Thompson/Fish run. It's a more traditional take on her that I thought kept the spirit of the character intact. The second series is wrapping up soon, though it got delayed here and there due when the industry had hiccups. Honestly, though, delays is starting to seem like Archie's game plan.
    I love the Thompson/Fish SABRINA, but yeah the delays have been getting longer it seems. I'm looking forward to doing a nice reread of Vol 1 and 2.

I was lowkey hoping for a Holiday Special in time for Solstice.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I love the Thompson/Fish SABRINA, but yeah the delays have been getting longer it seems. I'm looking forward to doing a nice reread of Vol 1 and 2.

I was lowkey hoping for a Holiday Special in time for Solstice.
    Yeah and Veronica Fish is the perfect artist for that character. It kills me that the collected volume is A5. I hope that when Something Wicked wraps that we get a deluxe volume like the Archie Varsity Editions. I'd be all over that thing like a cheap suit.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    what are the monthly books from Archie publishing?
    Archie havent published any monthly comic serie in quite a while now really.

To be honest the Riverdale-ification of Archie has put me off. Too many of the series they have put out over the last few years hasnt been to my tastes. I'd love them to go back to the old style series but that clearly isnt happening.