Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Favorite Nuclear Holocaust Movie?

When the Wind Blows and Threads are two of my favorite films. I feel like this subgenre has the potential to be even more frightening than the best of horror films because there is this sense of widespread dread on an epic scale that makes any story about demonic possession or a slasher on a rampage seem quaint by comparison.

Spectacular Member

Most of the horror movies I've seen pale in comparison to Threads. its is absolutely terrifying. And if you grew up or lived in the 80s all the more so because it could've actually happened

Other standouts from this genre IMO

Testament. which may be the most depressing movie ever made
    The Day After, supposedly gave Regan nightmares despite its "Hollywoodish" depiction of Nuclear war
    Deterrence, low budget but very effective
    Special Bulletin, A War of the Worlds experience (complete with commercial warning that it was only a TV show) in the 1980s
    Miracle Mile, Can you use Nuclear War as a backdrop for a rom-com? Yup.

Retired

THE QUIET EARTH (1985, New Zealand). I saw this when it played in theatres in North America and it left a lasting impression. It's a relatively small budget movie--I'm not sure we learn exactly what happened.

I got on a kick of watching these type of movies last year. In addition to THE QUIET EARTH, the ones that stayed with me were MIRACLE MILE and ON THE BEACH,

Boisterously Confused

On The Beach

Incredible Member

terminator 2.lol

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    THE QUIET EARTH (1985, New Zealand). I saw this when it played in theatres in North America and it left a lasting impression. It's a relatively small budget movie--I'm not sure we learn exactly what happened.

I got on a kick of watching these type of movies last year. In addition to THE QUIET EARTH, the ones that stayed with me were MIRACLE MILE and ON THE BEACH,
    The quiet earth is excellent. The Umbrella DVD director commentary discusses the meaning of the end of the film, which I won’t divulge
    Here. Worth getting if you can.

Iono Does Book of Eli count?

Or the mad max films? If so maybe Fury road
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 12-12-2020 at 05:16 AM.

I read a book as a kid called Alas, Babylon. It freaked me out as only a great story can. I just Googled it to see if a movie had ever been made from it, and it’s only ever had a TV adaptation on Playhouse 90 an old anthology show from CBS.

Do certain Godzilla films count?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Do certain Godzilla films count?
    Not exactly what I was going for. For the film to count it mhch feature a society that is dealing with the aftermath of a nuclear war.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Iono Does Book of Eli count?

Or the mad max films? If so maybe Fury road
    The Mad Max sequels were clear there'd been a nuclear war, but the original and (if I remember it right) BoE were kind of vague about why civilization collapsed.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The Mad Max sequels were clear there'd been a nuclear war, but the original and (if I remember it right) BoE were kind of vague about why civilization collapsed.
    Denzel went blind because he watched the Nuclear bomb go off as a child. There were also Radiation zones where he had to wear the mask and cover alls I think. Everything was dead except that cat he shot. Iono why its safe to eat that cat but whatever.

Extraordinary Member

Terminator 2,Book of Eli and Night of the comet. I know Night of the the comet was bad but still...

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    The original movie happened before the holocaust, when civilization and government were still hanging on but dealing with the global crises that would shortly lead to the war. Then Road Warrior picked up in the aftermath.

Planet of the Apes.

You maniacs!!