Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Default Notable Comixology Absences

As Comixology and other digital platforms slowly grow as an alternative way to buy comics outside of graphic novels, back issue bins and scans of nefarious provenance, what would you want to see put out there in digital form? Digital comics are unique in that page count and sale figures are irrelevant, so far as putting the product out there. (Of course, one must be reasonably aware it will sell decently when restoring the original copies and placing it over into the digital format to make it worth their time.)

It provides an opportunity to put one-shots, two-issue or three-issue arcs out there in an accessible form or more niche stories, which would otherwise only be resigned to the more completionist Epic Collection or Omnibus format. A lot of their new releases are tied into trade paperbacks, which is a shame because it could follow its own pattern.

So what's absent which could do with a digital release?

For one, a lot of Annuals aren't on there, which for some reason Marvel have chosen to group in with the main series. From a narrative point of view it makes sense, but otherwise it's hard to browse through.

Fantastic Four have substantial gaps too.

One thing I would love to see is the FCBD given a proper place online. Although some are reprints, the original stories become a little harder to find or relegated to the back of a TPB, even as a short vignette. The last two years Comxiology has been adding them within a month of the day itself, but I'd love to see the older stuff on there too.

Quote Originally Posted by America / Bucky / Russia View Post
    As Comixology and other digital platforms slowly grow as an alternative way to buy comics outside of graphic novels, back issue bins and scans of nefarious provenance, what would you want to see put out there in digital form? Digital comics are unique in that page count and sale figures are irrelevant, so far as putting the product out there. (Of course, one must be reasonably aware it will sell decently when restoring the original copies and placing it over into the digital format to make it worth their time.)

It provides an opportunity to put one-shots, two-issue or three-issue arcs out there in an accessible form or more niche stories, which would otherwise only be resigned to the more completionist Epic Collection or Omnibus format. A lot of their new releases are tied into trade paperbacks, which is a shame because it could follow its own pattern.

So what's absent which could do with a digital release?

For one, a lot of Annuals aren't on there, which for some reason Marvel have chosen to group in with the main series. From a narrative point of view it makes sense, but otherwise it's hard to browse through.

Fantastic Four have substantial gaps too.

One thing I would love to see is the FCBD given a proper place online. Although some are reprints, the original stories become a little harder to find or relegated to the back of a TPB, even as a short vignette. The last two years Comxiology has been adding them within a month of the day itself, but I'd love to see the older stuff on there too.
    Wonder Woman
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Mighty Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Hulk. Classic Hulk stuff by Wein, Stern, Mantlo, Byrne and PAD. There's a smidgen of PAD getting released, but it's been a few months.
    Byrne's FF...

They just went on a bender on releasing classic Iron Man and Captain America -- I think both have their first volumes in digital form. Don't know why there isn't more FF or Hulk...and more that I'm not thinking of.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

Well, apart from the first 5 issues and the 0 issue there are no issues from Wolfman's 60+ issues on Deathstroke. I don't know about the situation now, but I remember some issues of Uncanny X-Men missing, like the Reaper story from somewhere in the #250s.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Quote Originally Posted by victorxd1999 View Post
    Well, apart from the first 5 issues and the 0 issue there are no issues from Wolfman's 60+ issues on Deathstroke. I don't know about the situation now, but I remember some issues of Uncanny X-Men missing, like the Reaper story from somewhere in the #250s.
    Looking at the page that gap has been filled now; they have 521/544 UXM issues, give or take a few annuals.

It's a shame there's so little FF because I like to use Comixology to fill in small holes; I wanted to buy #51, as that's one of the gaps in my collection, only to find it went up to #50 followed by some meager smatterings. The alternative is Marvel Unlimited (but then that is not permanent), or shelling out for a Masterwork. (I have a bunch of the issues in Pocket Book form.)

It would be good to see the 'filler' stories of Avengers from the Korvac Saga (#169) and the three uncollected issues right after that (#178-180) on there, too; they have the issues surrounding it up anyway.
    Last edited by America / Bucky / Russia; 08-20-2014 at 03:03 AM.

There are a handful of undigitized Age of Apocalypse tie-ins, including the X-Men: Age of Apocalypse one-shot, X-Man Annual 1996, X-Man -1, Age of Apocalypse: The Chosen, and Exiles 60-61.

I've also been clamoring to get more Alpha Flight up there. They don't even have the Fear Itself-started Grek Pak run from not long ago. Only the first eight issues of the original volume.

Does anyone know how to reach out to publishers to ask for specific things to be made available on Comixology? I know Comixology told me that this is the purview of the publishers only (they put up what they're given, and do not ask for stuff).

I would love there to be a way but I think it's just a case of see what new stuff they add each week, and hopefully it's something you've been clambouring for.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

Most of X-Men Vol. 2 from the 90s, the offering is VERY sparse before the Morrison run. Uncanny X-Men Vol. 1 is only missing like 4 issues from 1-544.