Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation A Deep Drive Into Jason Aaron's Avengers Sales Numbers

Damn, Perch is da man when it comes to this type of analysis.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

So Aaron’s Avengers can be summed up in one word. Flop! The BC stuff should have been wrapped up a long time ago. The trend is clear. Avengers are down and consistently dropping. I dropped it. Time to show Aaron the door Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    So Aaron’s Avengers can be summed up in one word. Flop! The BC stuff should have been wrapped up a long time ago. The trend is clear. Avengers are down and consistently dropping. I dropped it. Time to show Aaron the door Marvel.
    Well, in all fairness, the analyst (Perch) states Aaron's declining sales are above the also declining Marvel average so one could argue he hasn't "flopped" as badly as others have.

Going into an election year and begining of the pandemic is also going on for some of this final issues he's measuring on hsi trend
    Last edited by Jabare; 12-12-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I mean where also in a pandemic that's a big elephant in the room to overlook
    True, and those numbers aren't fully available yet (Perch states this in the video). He is mainly using 2019 through early 2020 numbers for his analysis anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    True, and those numbers aren't fully available yet (Perch states this in the video). He is mainly using 2019 through early 2020 numbers for his analysis anyhow.
    at the end it looks like he bookmarks at Avengers 31 which would be back in February if I'm not mistaken
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    at the end it looks like he bookmarks at Avengers 31 which would be back in February if I'm not mistaken
    Yeah, I caught that too.

I'm no fan of Aaron. I hate what he's done to She-Hulk. That said, I don't think these numbers prove he's a "failure" (as some will likely contend) if anything Aaron has bucked the general trend of Pre-Covid 19 decline to a great degree.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Well, in all fairness, the analyst (Perch) states Aaron's declining sales are above the also declining Marvel average so one could argue he hasn't "flopped" as badly as others have.
    It wasn't clear if he's giving the average Marvel comic the same consideration by starting at issue 7. The graphic says the average Marvel comic drops in its first 25 issues, not its 7th to 31st issue. Maybe that's implied but the average Marvel number wasn't as clear to me if its apples to apples.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    It wasn't clear if he's giving the average Marvel comic the same consideration by starting at issue 7. The graphic says the average Marvel comic drops in its first 25 issues, not its 7th to 31st issue. Maybe that's implied but the average Marvel number wasn't as clear to me if its apples to apples.
    A valid point, what exactly he means by that is a bit murky by the end. This is my only complaint with his video as usually Perch is clearer about such things.

BANNED

Personally i am shocked that the Avengers comic from the legendary Jason Aaron has been doing so poorly, that guy delivers nothing but hits.

I mean.... theres a lot of stuff going on. Moneys been t8ght for many. I dont even know if its fair to evaluate this sorta thing with all the crao we've seen this year.

Extraordinary Member

I dislike the Avengers lineup and Aaron's whole approach, but the run isn't a flop. It's sold at decent levels for a long time and has dropped off as comic runs almost always do. The movie-based boost for the Avengers comics is long gone (it was gone even before the last two Avengers movies) and the franchise has rarely been as consistently popular as the X-Men. I doubt anyone would have sold better than Aaron.

Granted some of Aaron's sales may be boosted by the decision of Marvel comics to have only one Avengers book (Savage Avengers is an Avengers book in name only), with no "New Avengers" or "Uncanny Avengers" to split the reader base. I hate that decision creatively but it probably worked from a sales standpoint.

Now I just wish they would let this all-star approach go and bring back the core Avengers who haven't been allowed on the main roster since 2004: Scarlet Witch and Wasp, most obviously. Monica Rambeau also deserves another shot. Stop trying to make the Avengers into the Justice League.

However, if they brought back what I consider the "real" Avengers, I know I'd buy it but I can't pretend to know that it would sell better than what they're doing now.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I dislike the Avengers lineup and Aaron's whole approach, but the run isn't a flop. It's sold at decent levels for a long time and has dropped off as comic runs almost always do. The movie-based boost for the Avengers comics is long gone (it was gone even before the last two Avengers movies) and the franchise has rarely been as consistently popular as the X-Men. I doubt anyone would have sold better than Aaron.

Granted some of Aaron's sales may be boosted by the decision of Marvel comics to have only one Avengers book (Savage Avengers is an Avengers book in name only), with no "New Avengers" or "Uncanny Avengers" to split the reader base. I hate that decision creatively but it probably worked from a sales standpoint.

Now I just wish they would let this all-star approach go and bring back the core Avengers who haven't been allowed on the main roster since 2004: Scarlet Witch and Wasp, most obviously. Monica Rambeau also deserves another shot. Stop trying to make the Avengers into the Justice League.

However, if they brought back what I consider the "real" Avengers, I know I'd buy it but I can't pretend to know that it would sell better than what they're doing now.
    Ironically people probably think of Wanda and Wasp as all-stars thanks to the movies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Ironically people probably think of Wanda and Wasp as all-stars thanks to the movies.
    And soon, She-Hulk, a character Aaron has treated as if she had no fans at all before.

It doesn't really matter, though. If movie synergy had any impact it would have had it by now. It's clear that the powers that be at Marvel just don't want the Avengers to go back to a pre-2004 approach and that Wanda, Wasp, etc. aren't going back on the main lineup unless some writer fights for them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dreaded Porcupine View Post
    it sells as much as others runs, so everyone is a flop I guess