Default Doctor Strange vs the Settite Antedeluvian

Doctor Strange vs the Settite Antedeluvian

Should go to Strange. His resistance to esoterics and spiritual effery, and general mystical senses (and the eye of agamotto and what have you) should protect him against stuff like the "there's no such thing as Set, you're not here to fight anyone" Obfuscate.

Set is one of the more tangible Antediluvians and he doesn't have any of the physicals as an in clan. And while high enough Serpentis does have a power that gives you a weird sort of anti existence thing, Strange can get around that with magical whammying.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 12-12-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Should go to Strange. His resistance to esoterics and spiritual effery, and general mystical senses (and the eye of agamotto and what have you) should protect him against stuff like the "there's no such thing as Set, you're not here to fight anyone" Obfuscate.

Set is one of the more tangible Antediluvians and he doesn't have any of the physicals as an in clan. And while high enough Serpentis does have a power that gives you a weird sort of anti existence thing, Strange can get around that with magical whammying.
    By the hoary hosts of hoggoth, he'll slap settite senseless.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I suppose to be fair as much as possible, I am going by previous to 5th edition Vampire (the latest and also most terrible edition of vampire) definitions for things and powers, which basically changed about the entire rule system and nerfed older non antediluvian vampires super hard. But if anything made the antediluvians even more undefinably powerful considering they outright pulled the trigger on Gangrel's whole one-ness with the planet thing and put the Week of Nightmares (aka Ravnos' ultra doomy rampage while still being weak/fresh from torpor) back into canon.

So to have an answer to the question at all it requires working with the last time these things even had roughly defining definitions.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 12-13-2020 at 12:29 AM.

Dr. Strange has vast versatility in coping with esoteric attacks and defenses, racking up wins against both Death and the In-Betweener.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Dr. Strange has vast versatility in coping with esoteric attacks and defenses, racking up wins against both Death and the In-Betweener.
    I love Stevie, but In-Betweener is pushing it, and Death is just flat-out SMvFL (or PIS, depending on how it plays out).

Who are the Settite Antedeluvian?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Who are the Settite Antedeluvian?
    Clan founder of the 'Followers of Set' from Vampire: The Masquerade. The founders of the thirteen vampire clans are ridiculously old and powerful legends, asleep (or in some cases, destroyed) in the world while influencing it through their powers and proxies. As vampires go, they're pretty up there, and some of them have even transcended their physical existence, becoming conceptual or spiritual beings (spiritual =//= 'good', here).

Set...I don't know a lot about him, other than the fact that he's likely an utter *******, based on his clan (not that ANY of the Antediluvians are warm and fuzzy creatures, or even at all benign in any way, shape, or form...). Based on his clan's specialized disciplines (vampiric powers, and each clan is better at three of them that the other powers), he'd be ridiculously potent with regards to manipulation and awe, hiding himself/his aura/his very existence, and *looks up* some weird corruptive powers mixed with taking on aspects of serpents. Of course, he'd also be ridiculously tough, strong, fast, and likely have other powers including the Setite blood magic variant.

None of which has a lot of meaning against a full-powered Classic Strange, if it is indeed Classic Strange. Current Strange is a step down, but still seems to operate higher than 'planetary' power, if pushed, so I'd still give the nod to him (Antediluvian powers top out at roughly 'planetary' for their clan specializations).
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I love Stevie, but In-Betweener is pushing it, and Death is just flat-out SMvFL (or PIS, depending on how it plays out).
    Wasn't his encounter with the In-Betweener very early before the power scale of such an entity was solidly established? Kind of like Thor stalemating Galactus in the early days when they didn't want to say anything was undeniably more powerful than a god.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Wasn't his encounter with the In-Betweener very early before the power scale of such an entity was solidly established? Kind of like Thor stalemating Galactus in the early days when they didn't want to say anything was undeniably more powerful than a god.
    Ah, maybe.

But the Death thing is still just... no. Death is the counterpart to Eternity. That’s way above even Galactus level. Even Classic Strange is looking at that and just thinking ‘Err... nope’.

Edit: Unless of course it was Warren Worthington as a Horseman of Apocalypse, in which case, sure. But I suspect it wasn’t.

I would rather ignore the whole 'Strange Versus Death' fight. I'd need to go back and find it, but I vaguely recall some asterisks on it (like 'Death not actually trying hard, Strange getting over his fear of death and becoming immortal because of it, etc etc').

...yes, this was the explanation as to how the Sorcerer Supreme basically just lived forever (like the Ancient One). Or somesuch. It wasn't a great issue, I'd need to go back and read it again.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    I would rather ignore the whole 'Strange Versus Death' fight. I'd need to go back and find it, but I vaguely recall some asterisks on it (like 'Death not actually trying hard, Strange getting over his fear of death and becoming immortal because of it, etc etc').

...yes, this was the explanation as to how the Sorcerer Supreme basically just lived forever (like the Ancient One). Or somesuch. It wasn't a great issue, I'd need to go back and read it again.
    I mean Classic Strange did some fairly non-euclidian stuff, I'd give him a pass on being immortal because Death isn't scary anymore.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I mean Classic Strange did some fairly non-euclidian stuff, I'd give him a pass on being immortal because Death isn't scary anymore.
    I'm totally cool with the whole idea, and it does explain how the Ancient One is...well...'ancient'. I just don't recall being terribly impressed with the actual story.
    Why are we here?