Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Witcher Omnibus vs Library Edition

Ok, so I am wondering what the difference is between the Witcher Omnibus edition and Library Edition in digital format. I did a quick search and found one single reddit post of the same question, with one single answer that stated that there was no difference in digital format and that the price difference was due to the Library Edition having hardcover, better quality paper, and being enlarged, which makes ZERO difference for digital. But...I'm a little OCD and try to double/triple check everything before I decide... and I would LIKE to think that the $10 difference on Comixology is warranted (cause otherwise, that's just so shady).

So, can anyone confirm if the digital contents are identical (I'm assuming so, since Comixology lists them as BOTH having an identical 435 pages)? The $10 difference makes me hope there is at least some kind of tiny difference in the versions....

Just had a look at comixology uk site...it’s on sale at moment, 10 quid for library edition versus 6 quid for omnibus...to be fair if you like the material 10 quid is a bargain for that many pages.

But only difference I can see is different front cover designs.

Description of content and page count is identical, and looking at sample pages from both books on a large high res tablet I can’t see any difference in artwork clarity or colouring.

Personally I’d be buying the omnibus...but then I’ve never been really concerned by exact format.

So based on the solicitation on Dark Horse's website, the contents in the physical copies are exactly the same
    "Collects issues #1-#5 of The Witcher comic series House of Glass, Fox Children, Curse of Crows, and the Killing Monsters one-shot--and features annotations from the creators of the comics, as well as a sketchbook section."

except the library edition only has sketches as extras and not annotations based on the description but I've went on youtube and checked videos of both and they are indeed the exact same content (extras as well).

My guess is that they went by cover price and reduced that by a certain percentage to create their digital pricing, so because the Library edition is more expensive, the digital version of it will be more expensive as well. It's probably an automated process and no one checked that it's virtually the same product but for a different price. (the videos I've checked they even had the same Mignola cover)

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Just had a look at comixology uk site...it’s on sale at moment, 10 quid for library edition versus 6 quid for omnibus...to be fair if you like the material 10 quid is a bargain for that many pages.

But only difference I can see is different front cover designs.

Description of content and page count is identical, and looking at sample pages from both books on a large high res tablet I can’t see any difference in artwork clarity or colouring.

Personally I’d be buying the omnibus...but then I’ve never been really concerned by exact format.

Thanks for the response!

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    So based on the solicitation on Dark Horse's website, the contents in the physical copies are exactly the same
    "Collects issues #1-#5 of The Witcher comic series House of Glass, Fox Children, Curse of Crows, and the Killing Monsters one-shot--and features annotations from the creators of the comics, as well as a sketchbook section."

except the library edition only has sketches as extras and not annotations based on the description but I've went on youtube and checked videos of both and they are indeed the exact same content (extras as well).

My guess is that they went by cover price and reduced that by a certain percentage to create their digital pricing, so because the Library edition is more expensive, the digital version of it will be more expensive as well. It's probably an automated process and no one checked that it's virtually the same product but for a different price. (the videos I've checked they even had the same Mignola cover)
    Wow, I appreciate the research you did! Ok, so I guess they are identical after all (in digital). I can't believe Comixology is selling it for $10 more!!! Although I would love to get the Library Edition in physical form, I live in a country where it's quite difficult/expensive to get physical copies, so I guess I'll be going with the digital Omnibus!

Quote Originally Posted by Moruru View Post
    Wow, I appreciate the research you did! Ok, so I guess they are identical after all (in digital). I can't believe Comixology is selling it for $10 more!!! Although I would love to get the Library Edition in physical form, I live in a country where it's quite difficult/expensive to get physical copies, so I guess I'll be going with the digital Omnibus!
    https://www.booksetc.co.uk/books/view/-9781506706825 Perhaps here?

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    Nah, I'm in Japan, so that wouldn't help me very much. I can buy from Amazon US, but the shipping is pretty high. Sometimes Amazon JP has the books, but VERY rarely and often slightly-to-much higher priced (obviously). Of course, I can buy the Japanese translations, but they are also expensive and I prefer to read/watch things in their original language (manga/anime in JP, comics and most movies/EN). I know, I know - I'm too picky, and a cheapskate! haha

I usually take an annual trip to the US, so then I try to buy as many books as I can when I'm there, but I couldn't make the trip this year for obvious reasons. So for now, digital just seems to be the best.

Nah, I'm in Japan, so that wouldn't help me very much. I can buy from Amazon US, but the shipping is pretty high. Sometimes Amazon JP has the books, but VERY rarely and often slightly-to-much higher priced (obviously). Of course, I can buy the Japanese translations, but they are also expensive and I prefer to read/watch things in their original language (manga/anime in JP, comics and most movies/EN). I know, I know - I'm too picky, and a cheapskate! haha

I usually take an annual trip to the US, so then I try to buy as many books as I can when I'm there, but I couldn't make the trip this year for obvious reasons. So for now, digital just seems to be the best.
    I see. £34 is very high for shipping. Have you tried bookdepository (around 6494 yen)? Or instocktrades?
    Last edited by JPAR; 12-16-2020 at 12:46 AM.

I know I’m in minority, but digital is best format for me...it makes actually reading easier than omnibus type formats, storage becomes a non issue, and you can use page view or frame by frame view, look at in various sizes, etc.

And think gap will widen in coming years, may be able to choose various colouring options, for example in next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by JPAR View Post
    I see. £34 is very high for shipping. Have you tried bookdepository (around 6494 yen)? Or instocktrades?
    Well...considering that the US amazon has the omnibus for something like $21, it would be cheaper to just have it shipped internationally than pay $50+ at bookdepository. BUT, I never knew of that site before and I did notice other comic collections that looked really reasonable, and free shipping worldwide, so I'll keep that place in mind for the future. Thanks for that!

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I know I’m in minority, but digital is best format for me...it makes actually reading easier than omnibus type formats, storage becomes a non issue, and you can use page view or frame by frame view, look at in various sizes, etc.

And think gap will widen in coming years, may be able to choose various colouring options, for example in next few years.
    Oh, I absolutely love the digital format too! On my iPad Pro (11"), books look fantastic, don't have to worry about pages ever deteriorating or getting torn/bent/etc. from accidents, and like you said - storage is a non-issue. But most of all - digital has allowed me to continue following comics even in Japan, something that I initially thought was going to be impossible. I have over 700 collected editions (more than 290GB) in my iPad right now. I have a full bookshelf of physical copies of my favorites, but the VAST majority of my collection is digital.

on the bright side, Japan has some sweet sweet merch that the West has to pay more for because of import taxes (looking at my Godzilla and Gamera collection and some artbooks I want to buy).

on the bright side, Japan has some sweet sweet merch that the West has to pay more for because of import taxes (looking at my Godzilla and Gamera collection and some artbooks I want to buy).
    Yeah, definitely prefer living here - you just have to get used to the culture, which can be a little stifling (and very racist) at times. haha

Incredible Member

This is a long shot, but is it possible the library edition has a higher resolution to account for the larger physical format?

I wish that were the case, because otherwise it seems highly unethical to sell them at such a different price....but I highly doubt that the resolution is different. Of the 700+ collections I own, which does include duplicates of the same books in different collections, I've NEVER seen the same material with different resolutions before.