Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Another thing that might be different today than in the 40s is the modern attachment to "realism" and "grounded" fare. Would a modern day Marston pull from myth? Or would s/he pull from archaeological data extrapolating an offshoot culture. Also with Feminism already having had a massive impact today, I wonder if WW being created would break molds as she did then rather than evolving them or extrapolating a less ....trippy society.

Going by modern WW elseworlds as well as what has been done in stories inspired by Wonder Woman and just going by modern trends, here are my thoughts:

* The Amazons would definitely be more racially diverse with characters like Nubia, Akila and Philippus being more prominent.

* Artemis of the Bana-Mighdall would likely be a woman of color and probably not named after a Greek deity.

* The Bana-Mighdall would likely be created with less unfortunate implications.

* Steve and Diana's relationship would likely not end up as the be all, end all. They'd date but as Diana grows more experienced, she realizes there are a lot of differences between her and Steve. Their relationship would end but I think they would still remain friends.

* Etta Candy would likely still be fat for body diversity. I can see her being black and gay as she is in modern incarnations.

* The Kapatelis women or some other equivalent would likely have been created from the beginning and be as prominent as Steve if not more so.

* Hippolyta and Philippus would definitely have been a couple if not from the beginning but for a long time.

* Given his treatment of women in the myths, Zeus would most likely be a villain if we're really going that hard with modern feminist views. I could see Hera and/or Athena serving a villainous role as well in which her own contribution to patriarchal abuse is called out.

* Cassie and Donna if they existed would likely have their connections to Diana strengthened in a way that they are more prominent. If Hippolyta and Philippus are a couple, this means we'd have a same-sex couple with three daughters, one of whom was adopted.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-21-2020 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What do you think would be the same and what do you think would be different?
    Themyscira would be an actual utopia where the very idea that there could be something as gender role or works would sound absolutely alien. One man would do the kitchen work while his wife is an uber warrior and neither would be considered inferior to the other - in fact the very idea that the man's life is demeaning to his gender would actually be - and justly - be considered a grave insult.

Extraordinary Member

Assuming that it was created in the same spirit as the original, it would probably be widely despised by the comics gate types

Hold up, is that not true of Themyscira already? I don't think they believe in gender roles, what they do believe is that women are generally more intelectually evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Hold up, is that not true of Themyscira already? I don't think they believe in gender roles, what they do believe is that women are generally more intelectually evolved.
    You could say they believe in gender roles as they see it.

Well they’d probably let her kiss a woman. Crazy how that still hasn’t happened in canon yet.

The Amazons probably wouldn't have been mono-gendered, iternally young, slim, pagan and Greek, but instead a matriarchal society of all genders, ages, body types, religions and ethnicities.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Well, they are currently segregationists and if they think they are fundamentally superior to men in intellect because of their gender... yikes.

I feel like they'd downplay her femininity and make her more like a generic Xena knockoff or action heroine.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Isn't Greg Rucka's Year One basically what 21st Century Wonder Woman looks like?
    I'm discounting Earth One and New 52 because some part of it can be tone deaf