Mighty Member

Default BORING places your relatives dragged you to?

The town of Ballarat, Australia has a LOT of history, great shops ,art galleries and a number of family friendly tourist attractions so naturally my eldest sister always drags me to...a shoe factory outlet store featuring a number of dull looking leather shoes in grey brown and black but mostly brown.

And YOU?

Extraordinary Member

I was once taken to a mountain in Turkey for a wedding....

Mighty Member

Thanks - was the mountain very scenic? Or was it just rocks and dirt and not much else? This shoe factory store was stuck in the 70's with plain looking carpets, dull wooden shelves and rather unremarkable shoes. The TV ads were cheap and very dull too, delivered in a dull monotone...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Thanks - was the mountain very scenic? Or was it just rocks and dirt and not much else? This shoe factory store was stuck in the 70's with plain looking carpets, dull wooden shelves and rather unremarkable shoes. The TV ads were cheap and very dull too, delivered in a dull monotone...
    In hindsight it was scenic but, eh, hiking up a mountain in 40 + degrees for no reason was a pain!!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I had an aunt and uncle who were really into camping and stuff. When I was 6, I went on a roadtrip all over SE US (from New Orleans to Gatlinburg and ultimately, to DisneyWorld!!!!!). Most of the places were cool, but I really didn't like any of the campgrounds. DisneyWorld was awesome and made it all worth it... but I got German measles there and was feeling awful by the time we got home.

But now, I'd give anything to go camping with them (and I still hate camping). RIP
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Mighty Member

My Dad used to drag me to a few small town horse races where he'd wonder off and make his bets while I walked around bored outta my skull.

For me it was more so events my parents dragged me to that I couldn't stand, rather than places (I love travelling). I was never a fan of football for example, but they still took me to football games I had no interest in watching.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    The town of Ballarat, Australia has a LOT of history, great shops ,art galleries and a number of family friendly tourist attractions so naturally my eldest sister always drags me to...a shoe factory outlet store featuring a number of dull looking leather shoes in grey brown and black but mostly brown.

And YOU?
    There were a few stores my parents dragged me to that I thought were designed specifically to suck the life out of any kid who had the misfortune of being there.

They were like this shoe store but out in the suburbs so you don't even get to think about cool art galleries and stuff like that. Instead it was just strip mall after strip mall.

All those chains are dead though. Malls dying out where I'm at may have contributed.

Retired

One place I feel queer about having dragged my parents to was this event on the other side of town at Jericho, which had been a naval installation but now was in transition, in 1970. At school, I heard about this, how the Americans were going to test a nuclear bomb on Amchitka Island and a bunch of hippies were going to send a boat to protest it. Yet being just a little kid, I could hardly get myself all the way from East Van to Jericho. The hippies were going to launch their boat, Greenpeace, from Jericho. I was quite surprised when my parents agreed to drive me there.

I wandered around the former naval base with my parents--it was really boring there. Nothing was happening, but as we walked over to the beach and the grassy parkland, I realized there were naked hippies everywhere having sex. I wanted to disappear--what did my parents think of me dragging them to this place full of people openly getting it on. To their credit, my parents never said a word.

Later, the Greenpeace was finally launched and the event was over without much fanfare--and I was relieved to get out of there with my parents.

Of course, this was at the very beginning of Greenpeace and it should be a point of pride for me that I was there to see it. But it was one of the most uncomfortable times with my parents--and yet a reason I love them so much.

Church. I have been fooled into going once or twice. ("Let's go listen to some local music")
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I've been on the other side of this, showing my son bizarre unusual locations and spots. We stopped in Vermont at a sign signifying the 45th parallel which he eventually thought was kind of neat. I also took him to look for a Robert Goddard small memorial in Auburn, MA. I actually pulled over in Arizona and made him look at a 85 mph speed limit sign. I feel badly for my grandkids.

Greensboro, North Carolina. Stuck in some relatives house during the summer. No other kids & no where to go.