Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Worst MCU movie

I don't think there's any MCU movie I haven't enjoyed, it's more from a pros/cons perspective which ones had more I liked versus which ones had more I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    That sort of thing happens a lot though mostly in 2 part television episodes back when everything wasn't a 22-parter if not a continuing story beginning to end. The end just doesn't stand up to the buildup. Not that Endgame didn't have its moments, especially that ending. But I thought IW was the far better movie
    Endgame stuck the landing overall though, It did what was design to do. It wasn't suppose to be the greatest movie in the world. It was suppose to be a satisfying ending to popular series of movies that become a pop culture and world phenomenon. If people are judging it on the sheer quality of story/plot they are most definitely better movies. If you are talking about satisfying ending to a pop culture phenom and closing up franchise giving characters and plot lines satisfying ending it knock the ball out of the park.

Endgame did what Lost, Game of Thrones, How I meet your mother, Star Wars and many many other things failed to do. Which is make the majority of your audience walk away happy. And when you consider how we look at those thing now sticking the ending is the most important thing. Endgame and Infinity War where design to do different things. Infinity War didn't have the weight of end franchise and ending bunch of plotlines AND having to tell a epic story worthy of being final movie and having to meet the expectation of everyone expecting it to be that AND actually telling coherent story as well while juggling giving every one in a ridiculously large cast enough of moment. Endgame wasn't suppose to hold up against multiple viewings of Nerds nitpick every detail of time travel and plot details. Endgame is designed the first time after watching all 21 other marvel movies you come out of the movie theater happy which is general metric for movies but even more true in this case.

Infinity War succeeded storywise because Endgame freed it from having to carry a lot of weight fulfilling certain moments. Infinity Wars had only one moment it had to get right which was the snap. While they are dozens of thing in Endgame that people want to see done right. To this day they are still salty Hulk fans mad that he didn't get another shot Thanos, Infinity Wars didn't have people nitpick about little details like that.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 12-16-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The twist in Iron Man 3 wasn't the problem. As a punchline it worked very well. The problem was that the real villain was a let down.
    ^This.

As for worst MCU Film, for me it's Ant-Man, Dr. Strange and Thor: The Dark Dark World.

I know some folks don't like the comedy in Ragnarok but what I enjoyed about the movie was that they finally gave up trying to be 'grounded', stopped focusing on the ridiculous romance with Natalie Portman and the human characters and finally went full cosmic. Thor is a larger-than-life braggadocios god going on grand adventures slaying might dragons, fire demons, taking on Hulk, Death Goddesses, giant wolf. In fact, the first 10 minutes of Ragnarok is what ALL of Thor: The Dark World should have been. TDW should have been this big, fun, nine realms spanning cosmic adventure that should have introduced Skurge, Hela, Enchantress and ended with a very distinct sound of someone hammering with Ragnarok being closer in tone to Infinity War (funny but with overwhelming dread as Thor and Hulk race to stop Ragnarok).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComicJunkie21 View Post
    And that is unfortunately the story of Jude Law's career. Great actor but most of his movies are let downs because the directors don't know what to do with him.
    Yeah, his most interesting role, IMO, was as a robot hooker in AI, and that's weird.

Anywho, I'd agree Captain Marvel and the first two Thor movies lack something.

I would love a grand epic serious Thor movie, with a broody imposing god-king, but the actor they cast can't pull that off, and they've pivoted to comedy which he does great.

And Captain Marvel was overshadowed by too much CGI power fantasy, IMO. Comics Carol Danvers progressed from being a flying tank with a fairly limited power level to a cosmically powerful energy zapper over many years, and this MCU version just sort of plonked down at 'god tier' and it felt unearned, and anything she faced thereafter as kind of a non-threat that A) couldn't hurt her and B) was only going to be there until she either pointed at it or flew through it. There was no real sense of tension, or drama, for me. It wasn't even 'conflict,' it was a kid with a gatling gun plinking at stationary targets. Still, I wasn't the target audience for it, so I won't call it 'worst,' since it wasn't for me.

As a decades long Thor fan, the Thor movies *should* have been 'for me,' and they failed me hard. The third one still may not have been 'my' Thor, all serious and powerful and impressive, but at least it was funny, so it may have set it's sights lower than I would have hoped (I would have preferred more Ring of the Nibelung and less Adam Sandler...), but at least it succeeded at what it meant to do.

Extraordinary Member

I'd say IM3 and End Game had a lot of problems too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Yeah, his most interesting role, IMO, was as a robot hooker in AI, and that's weird.

Anywho, I'd agree Captain Marvel and the first two Thor movies lack something.

I would love a grand epic serious Thor movie, with a broody imposing god-king, but the actor they cast can't pull that off, and they've pivoted to comedy which he does great.

And Captain Marvel was overshadowed by too much CGI power fantasy, IMO. Comics Carol Danvers progressed from being a flying tank with a fairly limited power level to a cosmically powerful energy zapper over many years, and this MCU version just sort of plonked down at 'god tier' and it felt unearned, and anything she faced thereafter as kind of a non-threat that A) couldn't hurt her and B) was only going to be there until she either pointed at it or flew through it. There was no real sense of tension, or drama, for me. It wasn't even 'conflict,' it was a kid with a gatling gun plinking at stationary targets. Still, I wasn't the target audience for it, so I won't call it 'worst,' since it wasn't for me.

As a decades long Thor fan, the Thor movies *should* have been 'for me,' and they failed me hard. The third one still may not have been 'my' Thor, all serious and powerful and impressive, but at least it was funny, so it may have set it's sights lower than I would have hoped (I would have preferred more Ring of the Nibelung and less Adam Sandler...), but at least it succeeded at what it meant to do.
    That's big part of what went wrong with Captain Marvel. The appeal of origin stories is is how the character develops into a hero and what they learn along the way. Presenting a character in their 'final form' like they are currently depicted in the comics without the development that led to that 'final form' over the decades cheapens the story.

That's big part of what went wrong with Captain Marvel. The appeal of origin stories is is how the character develops into a hero and what they learn along the way. Presenting a character in their 'final form' like they are currently depicted in the comics without the development that led to that 'final form' over the decades cheapens the story.
    Yet people don't complain about Superman or Wonder Woman being showcased at full power ...

Carol was military and was working with an alien super spy squad that was inhibiting her powers in order to control her.

Given her background, she should be capable on the outset. And the film showed she was being inhibited. I'm sure CM2 will up her villain and challenge.

Carol learned emotions aren’t always weakness as they can be strength (while working with Fury and Talos). She learns to understand and fully realize herself (“I’ve been fighting with one hand tied behind my back, but what happens when I’m set free?”). Finally, she learns to surround herself with true friends to remind herself of who she really is (Maria and later Talos/Fury).

I mean, come on man, she earned her powers and capability in the movie. She got her powers from an Infinity Stone! She should be a "super" powered character. She has the background, the drive, she went on the "journey" ...

That's more characterization and "heroes journey" than Superman has received in his 8+ outings.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-18-2020 at 09:53 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Her moment like that in the movie was the "knock down" sequence, where she recalled all the times she was knocked down and forced herself to get back up. There was an origin of the hero arc, it just is a bit weak because her battle was all mental, and it wasn't really convincing that she was weak mentally in the first place. So yah.

That character was kind of weird in her ensemble movies, too. Phenomenal powers, theoretically, but her main role is destroying spaceships. Something almost any cosmic MCU character could do with a gun. And she found Thanos, who I don't think was really hiding. But there weren't any other cosmic characters left who could help find him, so she was the default.

But hey, thats Danvers in the comics, too. Marvel seems to never know what to do with her.

Superman has had some of the same problems Captain Marvel has had, in comics and in movies. But his origin story and supporting characters are way more compelling. Captain Marvel kind of has the Hal Jordan issue, where both of them are pretty much arrogant pinheads who you have to work to make likeable.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 12-18-2020 at 10:31 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Yet people don't complain about Superman or Wonder Woman being showcased at full power ...

Carol was military and was working with an alien super spy squad that was inhibiting her powers in order to control her.

Given her background, she should be capable on the outset. And the film showed she was being inhibited. I'm sure CM2 will up her villain and challenge.

Carol learned emotions aren’t always weakness as they can be strength (while working with Fury and Talos). She learns to understand and fully realize herself (“I’ve been fighting with one hand tied behind my back, but what happens when I’m set free?”). Finally, she learns to surround herself with true friends to remind herself of who she really is (Maria and later Talos/Fury).

I mean, come on man, she earned her powers and capability in the movie. She got her powers from an Infinity Stone! She should be a "super" powered character. She has the background, the drive, she went on the "journey" ...

That's more characterization and "heroes journey" than Superman has received in his 8+ outings.
    Thank you.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

End Game BY FAR.

I have never seen such a poorly written mess in my entire life. The entire film essentially hinged on a freaking rat, how nice of the rat to wait a few years before freeing Antman, so we can have our heroes deal with the fall out and enough time for Tony to bond with his daughter. Fan service over powered everything and fans ate it up big time..

The women of the MCU scene summed it up, a cool shot of them BUT THEN THEY DO NOT EVEN FIGHT TOGETHER LMAO they just separated.

Also in IW one of the plot point was how Thanos had to make the gauntlet to contain the power of the stones, but Stark tech could have just done that all along lmao Again there should be nowhere Tony would have that much energy left to do a quip, also how did Thanos not notice the stones where gone??? So stupid man. Also Tony should have been disintegrated not just dead peacefully so we can have a sad emotional scene.

One of the worst and most overrated films ever.

2008 was the last time both Marvel and DC had their best films.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Captain Marvel isn't my "least favorite," (it's more like lower middle) but I found it lacking in terms of conveying Carol's journey in a relatable, dramatic way. I'm glad for anyone who felt it, but I did not. I feel like they left out a lot of stuff in her backstory to give real context to her "falling down/rising up" sequences. Those moments strung together to inform her of her real strength when she remembers who she really is should have been a powerful moment, and I get that's what they were going for, but for me I didn't understand enough of that backstory to feel like I was there with her to feel those victories. I also didn't really see a big difference between "Veers" and "Carol." I didn't feel a character who was in any way struggling or vulnerable the way Steve felt downtrodden or powerless, or how Tony realized he had been wasting his life. Veers realized that literally everything she thought she knew was wrong, yet I didn't get a real human moment when she struggled with it.(I suppose it was when she was talking to Maria?) The others had emotional transformative moments and I didn't feel it with Carol as much as they were trying to convince us. And without that emotional center, the movie doesn't hold together for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Her moment like that in the movie was the "knock down" sequence, where she recalled all the times she was knocked down and forced herself to get back up. There was an origin of the hero arc, it just is a bit weak because her battle was all mental, and it wasn't really convincing that she was weak mentally in the first place. So yah.

That character was kind of weird in her ensemble movies, too. Phenomenal powers, theoretically, but her main role is destroying spaceships. Something almost any cosmic MCU character could do with a gun. And she found Thanos, who I don't think was really hiding. But there weren't any other cosmic characters left who could help find him, so she was the default.

But hey, thats Danvers in the comics, too. Marvel seems to never know what to do with her.

Superman has had some of the same problems Captain Marvel has had, in comics and in movies. But his origin story and supporting characters are way more compelling. Captain Marvel kind of has the Hal Jordan issue, where both of them are pretty much arrogant pinheads who you have to work to make likeable.
    I think that, by and large, is a problem with the Superman, Captain Marvel, cosmic, demi-god, etc. "all powerful beings" in the genre on the whole.

It's hard to feel their "weakness" when you know they are that powerful.

Or like in the Timmverse with Superman, they find contrived ways to depower or sideline the character to make it "fair" or increase the danger. That was why I really appreciated the scene in Endgame when Thanos took a stone out to blast her during their fight when she had the upper hand because it made sense (and showed Thanos as not-your-average villain) and to borrow from wrestling, put both of them over as big time players.

With that being said, I think Captain Marvel is the best "all powerful" superhero story we've seen on comic film to date. Film, not books or comics, mind you.

Will that change? Hopefully!

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Captain Marvel isn't my "least favorite," (it's more like lower middle) but I found it lacking in terms of conveying Carol's journey in a relatable, dramatic way. I'm glad for anyone who felt it, but I did not. I feel like they left out a lot of stuff in her backstory to give real context to her "falling down/rising up" sequences. Those moments strung together to inform her of her real strength when she remembers who she really is should have been a powerful moment, and I get that's what they were going for, but for me I didn't understand enough of that backstory to feel like I was there with her to feel those victories. I also didn't really see a big difference between "Veers" and "Carol." I didn't feel a character who was in any way struggling or vulnerable the way Steve felt downtrodden or powerless, or how Tony realized he had been wasting his life. Veers realized that literally everything she thought she knew was wrong, yet I didn't get a real human moment when she struggled with it.(I suppose it was when she was talking to Maria?) The others had emotional transformative moments and I didn't feel it with Carol as much as they were trying to convince us. And without that emotional center, the movie doesn't hold together for me.
    I think that is a fair and great critique.

I think the driver there is a bit of a societal one.

Women in film tend to have "big emotions" during a journey whereas men tend to have more "subdued" moments.

I think I have really appreciated the subversion that happened in CM with Carol but I totally get where you are coming from.

I do wish they dove into that deeper to hit that landing a bit more. As it is, it worked well for me (and hit my daughter in the feels).
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 12-18-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    It’s Thor 2 The Dark World. That was garbage.

Captain Marvel was a charming, fun movie. It is far from the worst MCU movie.
    Pretty much this.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It got a lot to with the bland villain characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Endgame stuck the landing overall though, It did what was design to do. It wasn't suppose to be the greatest movie in the world. It was suppose to be a satisfying ending to popular series of movies that become a pop culture and world phenomenon. If people are judging it on the sheer quality of story/plot they are most definitely better movies. If you are talking about satisfying ending to a pop culture phenom and closing up franchise giving characters and plot lines satisfying ending it knock the ball out of the park.

Endgame did what Lost, Game of Thrones, How I meet your mother, Star Wars and many many other things failed to do. Which is make the majority of your audience walk away happy. And when you consider how we look at those thing now sticking the ending is the most important thing. Endgame and Infinity War where design to do different things. Infinity War didn't have the weight of end franchise and ending bunch of plotlines AND having to tell a epic story worthy of being final movie and having to meet the expectation of everyone expecting it to be that AND actually telling coherent story as well while juggling giving every one in a ridiculously large cast enough of moment. Endgame wasn't suppose to hold up against multiple viewings of Nerds nitpick every detail of time travel and plot details. Endgame is designed the first time after watching all 21 other marvel movies you come out of the movie theater happy which is general metric for movies but even more true in this case.

Infinity War succeeded storywise because Endgame freed it from having to carry a lot of weight fulfilling certain moments. Infinity Wars had only one moment it had to get right which was the snap. While they are dozens of thing in Endgame that people want to see done right. To this day they are still salty Hulk fans mad that he didn't get another shot Thanos, Infinity Wars didn't have people nitpick about little details like that.
    Well, to paraphrase what Roger Ebert said about the first Jolie Tomb Raider movie: So a movie about time traveling back to multiple time periods and/ or alternate realities that interact with events from previous movies has some inconsistencies. Imagine that.

In evaluating Tomb Raider, he only mentioned the complexity and that friends had mentioned there were contradictions and then got on with evaluating the plot, characterization and story.

It sort of reminds me of an "Enterprise" episode where T'Pol watched "Frankenstein" and her main comment was that there were glaring scientific errors only to have Trip roll his eyes and say, "What- did- you- think- of- the- story?" which I really thought was the writer commenting on fan criticisms.
    Power with Girl is better.