Exclamation A deep drive into jason aaron's thor sales numbers

Another excellent analysis by Perch.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post

Another excellent analysis by Perch.
    Interesting analysis.

It just confirms a lot of what we knew already, Jane Foster was a success as Thor. It wasn't the monster hit that some of made it out to be but it was quite successful.

I literally didn't know Cates run started off that strong. I've really ignored sales data since DC pulled out of Diamond and the whole covid-19 thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Interesting analysis.

It just confirms a lot of what we knew already, Jane Foster was a success as Thor. It wasn't the monster hit that some of made it out to be but it was quite successful.

I literally didn't know Cates run started off that strong. I've really ignored sales data since DC pulled out of Diamond and the whole covid-19 thing.
    I guess it just goes to show how successful an unabashed female power fantasy with a name writer can be, even when injected into an established property.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess it just goes to show how successful an unabashed female power fantasy with a name writer can be, even when injected into an established property.
    In all fairness, mainstream North American Comic Books are mainly power fantasies of one sort or another.
    Last edited by Celgress; 12-14-2020 at 10:36 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

In all fairness, mainstream North American Comic Books are mainly power fantasies of one sort or another.
    True Story

Donny's Thor tht seems a outlier

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Interesting analysis.

There’s a reason Cates is the golden boy at Marvel right now. He’s got the sales. Very curious to see how KiB sells.

Incredible Member

You beat me to it! lol Just got finished watching this. Found it really fascinating. You probably know he's done a couple of others as well.

Yeah, but I was just thinking in the sense of why that specific run worked the way it did.

Yeah, but I was just thinking in the sense of why that specific run worked the way it did.
    I think it was generally perceived as a strong comic. I know that some big Thor fans, and a particular fringe of comic fans, were very loud in bashing the run/character, but I really do think that was a vocal minority. From my first hand experience of working in a comic shop, it had a strong fanbase, very complex characters, and managed to do something interesting with characters who hadn't had a lot of time to shine in the then-recent years. Not to mention the female cast and Foster herself were well characterised and didn't fall into any sexist tropes (that I can remember). Not to mention the great artists on rotation and the fact that Aaron's Thor God of Thunder was so well received.

I think, all in all, it just came across as a fun comic that every creator seemed to enjoy working on. Very successful attempts at escapism in my opinion.

it brought a lot of female readers.
    Last edited by GodThor; 01-02-2021 at 10:56 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GodThor View Post
    it brought a lot of female readers.
    It was also quite good. Had Russell Dauterman on art, very bright visuals, very cool colors, neat visuals, lot of interesting concepts.

Ultimate Member

Makes me annoyed that Marvel still's not created their own, independent female power fantasy character.

I mean, seriously, WTF? Make a new one, get money, and you're not displacing a character who we know will return. And yet, how many decades has it been and we still don't have a female physical powerhouse equal to the big dogs?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Makes me annoyed that Marvel still's not created their own, independent female power fantasy character.

I mean, seriously, WTF? Make a new one, get money, and you're not displacing a character who we know will return. And yet, how many decades has it been and we still don't have a female physical powerhouse equal to the big dogs?
    I would argue that Carol Danvers is that. It's just unfortunate that the name "Captain Marvel" was taken previously. However I let it go as she was both "Ms Marvel" and a member of the army (Captain?).

It's unfortunate the character has not had a defining arc since her rebranding.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I would argue that Carol Danvers is that. It's just unfortunate that the name "Captain Marvel" was taken previously. However I let it go as she was both "Ms Marvel" and a member of the army (Captain?).

It's unfortunate the character has not had a defining arc since her rebranding.
    I have to disagree. The majority of her career, her powers came from positive collaterial damage. Even when they made her a hybrid, they still kept that for some reason.

Why they didn't make her responsible for destroying the devise that gave Carol her powers, I'll never know. That was an easy change that made Carol her own character instead of a spin off.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

true.

they have so many mythologies where they can create some powerful female power house without displacing another or gender bending.