Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where's Alfred?

We've gone through two writers who I expected to do it by the end of their run and I'm not sure I'd expect it from Zdarsky...but maybe by the end of the next Crisis.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We've gone through two writers who I expected to do it by the end of their run and I'm not sure I'd expect it from Zdarsky...but maybe by the end of the next Crisis.
    I still contend that using the Alfred mini to do it is the best way, just say the death was faked by the KGB villains who kidnapped him and just move on with no fuss.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I still contend that using the Alfred mini to do it is the best way, just say the death was faked by the KGB villains who kidnapped him and just move on with no fuss.
    Or could Alfred have had an unknown identical twin brother that even he was unaware of?

They can't bring him back until the Nightwing story runs its course. I mean it kind of requires him to be dead if Dick inherited all of his money.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Or could Alfred have had an unknown identical twin brother that even he was unaware of?
    Clone. I'm just saying, when all else fails say it was a clone.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    They can't bring him back until the Nightwing story runs its course. I mean it kind of requires him to be dead if Dick inherited all of his money.
    Well, it's not like Alfred would ask for it back...

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Originally posted 09-24-2021:Well, issue #12 came out last week (March 22, 2022) . . .

NOTE: I'm not reading that series, so I have no idea what has happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Nope, he had a chance to bring him back with some stolen larzerus goo but decided against doing it.
    That was a fun twist and a genuinely well earned moment.

The last issue also functioned as a great jumping off point before Shadow War, as we've reached the end of the "fight island" arc. I've been enjoying it but not enough for a pointless crossover revolving around the ongoing family drama of the Al Ghuls, which I have no interest in (also, wtf is Williamson's Ra's? Has he ever read the character before?).

However, I could be temped to return if Connor Hawke continues to pal around with Damian (the reason I picked it up Robin the first place).
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Clone. I'm just saying, when all else fails say it was a clone.
    Doesn't Marvel / Spider-Man have a copyright on clone superhero-related stories?

Send in the clones.

The fact that some people who follow comics to this day are even surprised that he's still dead and not around shows you how limited Alfreds role has become in general

No longer the voice in Bruce's ear... you have other characters for that
    No longer the person doing first aid...you have other characters for that
    No longer fixing Bruce's equipment... you have other characters for that

Prime example of why DC killed him

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    The fact that some people who follow comics to this day are even surprised that he's still dead and not around shows you how limited Alfreds role has become in general

Who serves as "the voice in Bruce's ear" these days? And does Bruce listen to them?

Also, who has been around in Bruce's life as long as Alfred had . . from back before Bruce became Batman?
    (I know originally earlier back in the last century Dick became Robin before Alfred was introduced, but over the years they had Alfred with young Bruce before Bruce became a man and before Dick entered the scene.)

Isn't this basically a reverse of people saying Oracle wasn't necessary anymore?

Didn't Didio have him killed off for the purpose of 5G?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't this basically a reverse of people saying Oracle wasn't necessary anymore?

Didn't Didio have him killed off for the purpose of 5G?
    I mean Oracle was brought back because there was room for her to be used again
    Alfred wasn't nearly as relevant in the 2010s compared to the 90s and 2000s

Luscious has greatly increased his value to the bat family and has literally jumped ahead of a lot of people in Bruce's immediate circle of trust

Aside from being the voice in Bruce's ear or the person who constantly chides Bruce's about non Batman related things he has had nothing to do this past decade of comics

It's the same reason why they killed Barbara

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

He was still doing all that, it's just overshadowed by other things like for example batcat

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I disagree with this, it's irrelevant if people who don't follow the regular titles know if Alfred is alive or not. I think if anything it's a jaded reminder that death is meaningless in comics which just makes the whole thing seem that much more pointless.

I kinda agree with some of your other points.

I was one of those people who actively wanted to see what Commissioner Akins could do after Gordon retired but he either didn't appear and within a few years turned on Batman (for good reason) and then disappeared after a Crisis, never to be heard from again.

But no one has stepped up to fill a role similar to Alfred's. It looked like Lucius was going there but that sharp u-turned into him just having Bruce's money and disappearing.

I do miss Alfred as the person who cares about Bruce in a way no other did. The rest of the costumes in Gotham look up to him as their father figure/inspiration. Gordon sees him as a partner. Catwoman sees him as a lover. It was nice having someone looking at him from another angle. It's also why I like having Leslie Thompkins around.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!