Default I AM BATMAN #5 Spoilers/Discussion

I’m just going to get this out of the way by saying this is my favorite issue. It just has so many great scenes and needed moments of characterization that I just ended up really liking it. It’s also decent enough set up for why Jace and some of the family is moving over to NYC. I personally think that Ridley tries to write this with a lot of genuine emotion to it, especially by the end. However this has big spoilers that have big consequences for the series as a whole and it’s characters. Heck it might change the entire status quo all together so read my review at your own risk.

So yeah the new Magistrate Talos troops in their knock off Power ranger suits are continuing to whoop Jace. It turns out with Lucius’ Foxtech in these suits they are actually pretty tough and give Jace a run for his money. Luckily Jace is both resourceful and a man of the people which really helps him out at times...but not for long because they immediately get the drop on Jace again once he comes out to defend the civilians who tried to help him.

But I think the second act twist will really help one character whose been off his game for a while, and that’s Lucius Fox himself. Because in the middle of the fight Jace’s face mask breaks and Lucius recognizes him. I actually want to take notice that Lucius calls him Jace instead of Tim which is a nice subtle growth for Lucius considering he’s been shown to be against the Jace name. But yeah, Lucius basically shuts down the entire new magistrate and saves his son from being killed by the very thing he created.

Following that we actually get an amazing scene, because we just get Lucius and Jace talking about their actual feelings and discussing Jace being Batman, not subtly as Lucius and Jace are both open about the truth. It’s a nice moment both characters needed because it actually allows these two characters who have been struggling to open up and deal with their issues. It’s not Lucius yelling at Jace to be an adult but instead saying he is proud of the man Jace is while Jace let’s Lucius in on how he feels about himself and his father. Oh and Lucius is finally going to do what he should have done since Joker War and that is get some freaking therapy.

Now what comes next establishes the NYC move, because there is no split between wife and husband as I thought. Basically Tamara after awakening from her coma is just being taken to better facilities and Lucius is staying in Gotham to get therapy and run foxtech. Jace however is going because he knows that if he stays in Gotham he will never get to be his own Batman, he will only ever be seen as a replacement. But Lucius gives him one last piece of advice before he goes, ditch the face mask and that if Jace is going to be Batman show them who you really are and represent. We then see Jace proudly standing in NYC without the face covering showing that yes he is not only Batman but a proud black man as well. Another nice moment between father and son honestly as they hug it out. I like this Lucius much more then the one we’ve been getting honestly.

So yeah whole dynamics and status quo’s are shifted as Jace goes to NYC to be Batman and I’m all for it.
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-11-2022 at 07:19 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It's a decent conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It's a decent conclusion.
    I think it helps to think of this alongside Second son
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ha! He shaved his goatee to be Batman. Now it’s gonna be harder to separate him from Luke. If he ever shows up in a comic again.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think it helps to think of this alongside Second son
    Yeah that works. Issue 0 is essentially second son issue 5. So you could think of Second Son and I am Batman as a tv season.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Ha! He shaved his goatee to be Batman. Now it’s gonna be harder to separate him from Luke. If he ever shows up in a comic again.
    Here comes Future State Justice League!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Here comes Future State Justice League!
    I just hope we get that Black and Yellow suit, it was nice.
    Words to live by.

I just hope we get that Black and Yellow suit, it was nice.
    Kinda feels like copying Barbara Gordon's New 52 Batgirl suit. Wow, that was a nice outfit hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    Kinda feels like copying Barbara Gordon's New 52 Batgirl suit. Wow, that was a nice outfit hehe.
    I guess Barbara never realized she was the inspiring fashion icon of the Bat-family

Last edited by sifighter; 01-11-2022 at 01:35 PM.
    Words to live by.

I guess Barbara never realized she was the inspiring fashion icon of the Bat-family

the suit has more visually in common with the Batman Beyond suit that Barbara's tbh.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    the suit has more visually in common with the Batman Beyond suit that Barbara's tbh.
    Eh the pictures were mainly to play into a joke. Personally I don’t care what inspired it, maybe it was 90’s era Batman all black suit post-Azrael, I just think the black and yellow suit of Justice League looked good on Jace.
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Seconded. Yellow aside, it looks like the Batman Beyond suit with a small cape and an uncovered lower face (as opposed to the cool "mask morphs into face").

Meanwhile, I like the suit, but wish he coulda get the facial hair.

Quote Originally Posted by alidonkak View Post
    hello there

he shaved his goatee. It'll be more difficult to separate him from Luke now. If he ever appears in another comic.
    His hair is still different. Like rocks a low fade, Jace has more of a high top.

Count me in as well as a fan of the black and yellow Future State costume.

He looks great.
    Quote Originally Posted by alidonkak View Post
    hello there

he shaved his goatee. It'll be more difficult to separate him from Luke now. If he ever appears in another comic.
    They could always give Luke a redesign. Make him more like his actor from Bat woman. .

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    His hair is still different. Like rocks a low fade, Jace has more of a high top.

Count me in as well as a fan of the black and yellow Future State costume.
    Also Luke grew out a full beard too, so now Jace is clean shaven while Luke has the beard
    Words to live by.