Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    At least Dark Horse was where the "Comics Greatest World" characters originated.

Marvel acquired the Ultraverse line from Malibu. Don't know if Marvel really thought they'd add to their product-line by doing that or if they planned to eventually just remove them from competing with Marvel's own superhero comics.

Was Malibu really that big of a threat to Marvel at that time?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Was Malibu really that big of a threat to Marvel at that time?
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Marvel wanted the coloring system Malibu had and bought them out.

Now it's more of Marvel does not want to pay the creators royalties for usage.

Interesting enough a few of the creators have passed on and one is in jail.

The one in jail-Gerard Jones is the reason a LOT of 90s DC books are not in trade like Green Lantern, Green Lantern Mosaic, Justice League and related spinoff books.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I feel this way about the Comics Greatest World characters at Dark Horse
    Does Dark Horse actually own them or are they owned by certain creators?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Does Dark Horse actually own them or are they owned by certain creators?
    I assume Dark Horse does, since that recent reboot they did a few years ago didn't involve any of the original writers/artists, and I don't believe any were given creator credit within the books.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I read "The Shield" one shot and found it to be an enjoyable read. Still not really sure what irritated Rob L so much. Maybe it's like someone said, he was looking for an exit point.

I am curious where this story is/was designed to go from the ending of this issue.

Anyone else read it?
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I read "The Shield" one shot and found it to be an enjoyable read. Still not really sure what irritated Rob L so much. Maybe it's like someone said, he was looking for an exit point.

I am curious where this story is/was designed to go from the ending of this issue.

Anyone else read it?
    I flipped through it at my LCS, and put it back down. While I found the "art" to be almost offensive, I still might've given it a shot if I knew it was a launching point for something more. As it is, this book will be in the bargain bins by the end of next month.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I liked it quite a bit. I was surprised - and pleased - to see them treating all the iterations over the years as part of a multiverse. Was also glad to see Lancelot Strong a part of it. Overall, mostly set up, but good enough to get me to pick up the next part. I thought Liefeld's art was fine.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    I liked it quite a bit. I was surprised - and pleased - to see them treating all the iterations over the years as part of a multiverse. Was also glad to see Lancelot Strong a part of it. Overall, mostly set up, but good enough to get me to pick up the next part. I thought Liefeld's art was fine.
    I didn't know this. I know DC's !mpact line is set in a different universe but I thought the 1940s, 1960s and 1980s characters all shared the same universe?

Amazing Member

i thought it was fine enough. a one shot that asks some questions that will never be answered, and sets up a status quo that will be ignored in a few years when they try launching again.

except that no "next part" has been announced.

Quote Originally Posted by twiztor View Post

except that no "next part" has been announced.
    I thought there were a series of one-shots coming out? Is that what's been cancelled?

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    I didn't know this. I know DC's !mpact line is set in a different universe but I thought the 1940s, 1960s and 1980s characters all shared the same universe?
    No, not quite. The '60's and '80's series share a universe with the Dark Circle line. But the DC stuff (both the Impact and more recent Red Circle books) did not.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I thought there were a series of one-shots coming out? Is that what's been cancelled?
    Liefeld was supposedly curating a series of one-shots that would follow this one, but with his premature exit, I'm pretty sure this initiative is DOA.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Liefeld was supposedly curating a series of one-shots that would follow this one, but with his premature exit, I'm pretty sure this initiative is DOA.
    Well that's disappointing. I would've loved to see this particular team in action.

I do have a question though. Was the reference to a Canadian version of the Shield (who also got a variant cover) - was that a reference to a real character I'm just ignorant of? Or was it something they were going to introduce during this story? Anyone know or have an idea? Because the variant cover of the character was pretty cool.
    Last edited by Ishmael; 07-15-2021 at 03:41 AM.

Amazing Member

Well that's disappointing. I would've loved to see this particular team in action.

I do have a question though. Was the reference to a Canadian version of the Shield (who also got a variant cover) - was that a reference to a real character I'm just ignorant of? Or was it something they were going to introduce during this story? Anyone know or have an idea? Because the variant cover of the character was pretty cool.
    i believe it's a reference to this guy: https://dr-hermes.livejournal.com/214061.html

Quote Originally Posted by twiztor View Post
    i believe it's a reference to this guy: https://dr-hermes.livejournal.com/214061.html
    I did not know that. FASCINATING. I love golden age comics, but I've not seen that before.