Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Was looking over the articles concerning this whole project and have to say Liefeld's leaving is very strange. There's nothing in any of the announcements about this series that really give any indication of what it's about - other than it's apparently a bunch of inter-related one-shots? So what the big deal about the spoiler is, is baffling. Even with Liefeld posting the pic himself and complaining about it, there's no real indication of what the deal is. Maybe something suggestive of a major plot point, but without context it's just a pic that could be interpreted in a variety of ways.

I wonder if he really left because of this or for another reason. Because SJNeal is correct: to assume there won't be advanced spoilers in 2021 is simply silly.

Spoilers vs. spoiled "creator"?

Liefield is a fan of John Walker from the Falcon and Winter Soldier show. So I wonder if that would influence his take on the Shield?

Amazing Member

one month since Liefield left, has there been any news on this? Is the issue still coming out? what about subsequent issues?

Quote Originally Posted by twiztor View Post
    one month since Liefield left, has there been any news on this? Is the issue still coming out? what about subsequent issues?
    Hey, its Archie Comics.

I don't even know if they've figured out anything further yet.

(They even had the fun bit where they announced a Dick Tracy comic book a few years back, only to be embarrassed to later learn they didn't get approval from the right source to use the character!)

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Yeah, they've announced the writer who's finishing it (never heard of him). I saw the article on the main page, but can't find it now.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Yeah, they've announced the writer who's finishing it (never heard of him).
    David Gallaher.
    I saw the article on the main page, but can't find it now.
    I found this: https://twitter.com/DavidGallaher/st...42680732184576

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I don't see a lot of enthusiasm surrounding the Archie Red Cricle characters. What's considered to be the best iteration of them?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Thanks Major!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I don't see a lot of enthusiasm surrounding the Archie Red Cricle characters. What's considered to be the best iteration of them?
    Probably DC's Impact! imprint from the early 90's...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    i've always been partial to the 80's Red Circle comics, personally.

edited to add:
    found the main page story about Gallaher taking over. it also mentions that this is now a one-shot instead of a mini-series. guess we're not getting any more of the Crusaders characters.
    https://www.cbr.com/archie-rob-liefe...s-replacement/
    Last edited by twiztor; 06-16-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Mighty Member

I find it weird Liefield was even meant to do this relaunch. I mean, the guy has his fans, but he isn't exactly someone who can handle an entire comic line. He does better with short comics putting his name to nostalgia. He is the guy you get to do X-Force for 8 issues and then move on.

i've always been partial to the 80's Red Circle comics, personally.
    ]
    Same. And I really enjoyed how the most recent incarnation under the Dark Circle banner was a direct continuation of that iteration. Good stuff.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Probably DC's Impact! imprint from the early 90's...
    This is probably true due to the length it ran. I've not read any of it though. Would love for collections to be made of these runs.
    I didn't sample the characters till the Dark Circle run of a few years back.

I think the characters deserve better than what Archie is able to do with them.
    I feel this way about the Comics Greatest World characters at Dark Horse and the Ultraverse characters at Marvel. Solid group of heroes with no real regular outlet, just a peep every few years then back into a file cabinet.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    . . . I feel this way about the Comics Greatest World characters at Dark Horse and the Ultraverse characters at Marvel. Solid group of heroes with no real regular outlet, just a peep every few years then back into a file cabinet.
    At least Dark Horse was where the "Comics Greatest World" characters originated.

Marvel acquired the Ultraverse line from Malibu. Don't know if Marvel really thought they'd add to their product-line by doing that or if they planned to eventually just remove them from competing with Marvel's own superhero comics.