Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eternals 2 Preview Ikaris vs Thanos

BANNED

already? dang

The way I still have no idea who these people are yet they're going toe to toe with Thanos is impressive.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    The way I still have no idea who these people are yet they're going toe to toe with Thanos is impressive.
    Well Ikaris should be pretty powerful and tough as he is an Earthborn Eternal. If Thanos weren't...Thanos, he'd probably be favored. That being said, we've already seen in Cates' series that Thanos overpowers even a first general Earthborn Eternal in his father.

Time travel?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Well Ikaris should be pretty powerful and tough as he is an Earthborn Eternal. If Thanos weren't...Thanos, he'd probably be favored. That being said, we've already seen in Cates' series that Thanos overpowers even a first general Earthborn Eternal in his father.
    Did Ikaris get a boost up at some point? The only time that he could go toe to toe with someone like Thanos was when he had the Prime Eternal powers/mantle. Otherwise, Ikaris wasn't really all that powerful, Earthborn or not.

Also, did they change how Cosmic Energy works with the Earthborn Eternals? Yes, cosmic energy made them more powerful than other earlier generations of Eternals, but Eternals had a rather limited store of cosmic energy that they could tap. They didn't absorb and convert ambient cosmic energy as rapidly and efficiently as other beings like Galactus' Heralds, or even someone like Adam Warlock. They were always at risk of using up their personal store of cosmic energy faster than they could replenish it. It's one of the reasons why the Deviants were able to remain legitimate threats to them, even though the Deviants didn't have cosmic energy based life forces and powers. Sure, there were some Eternals that had a much deeper energy reservoir than others, but very few were at Kronos, Azura, Zuras, A'lars, or Thanos level in that respect. Ikaris wasn't at their level, either, last time I read any story featuring him. Has that changed?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Did Ikaris get a boost up at some point? The only time that he could go toe to toe with someone like Thanos was when he had the Prime Eternal powers/mantle. Otherwise, Ikaris wasn't really all that powerful, Earthborn or not.

Also, did they change how Cosmic Energy works with the Earthborn Eternals? Yes, cosmic energy made them more powerful than other earlier generations of Eternals, but Eternals had a rather limited store of cosmic energy that they could tap. They didn't absorb and convert ambient cosmic energy as rapidly and efficiently as other beings like Galactus' Heralds, or even someone like Adam Warlock. They were always at risk of using up their personal store of cosmic energy faster than they could replenish it. It's one of the reasons why the Deviants were able to remain legitimate threats to them, even though the Deviants didn't have cosmic energy based life forces and powers. Sure, there were some Eternals that had a much deeper energy reservoir than others, but very few were at Kronos, Azura, Zuras, A'lars, or Thanos level in that respect. Ikaris wasn't at their level, either, last time I read any story featuring him. Has that changed?
    You're reading too much into it. Ikaris is not at the level of the generation before him but he is still formidable in his own right. He should lose here because it's Thanos, the Titanian Eternal who has vastly augmented himself over the course of his life (and deaths and rebirths). Any other Titanian Eternal (A-Lars doesn't count) would be stomped, including Eros.

AS much as I love Ikaris, this is really not a fight. So this is gonna be interesting to see how this foes down.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Gillen compared Thanos to a horror character in this. I expect Ikaris to escape rather than defeat him.

BANNED

I really like ikaris costume

BANNED

When did Eternals #1 hit the stands?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    When did Eternals #1 hit the stands?
    In January

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    You're reading too much into it. Ikaris is not at the level of the generation before him but he is still formidable in his own right. He should lose here because it's Thanos, the Titanian Eternal who has vastly augmented himself over the course of his life (and deaths and rebirths). Any other Titanian Eternal (A-Lars doesn't count) would be stomped, including Eros.
    I'm just trying to figure out in what reality does Ikaris even think he remotely has a chance against Thanos that he would even try to fight him? It's not that Thanos is the extreme end power wise. It's that Ikaris as I remember him wasn't really all that powerful. He may be formidable by Eternal standards, but as Marvel heavy hitters go, he's not in the same class as Silver Surfer, Thor, the original Drax the Destroyer, Nova, Sentry, America Chavez, Hyperion (any version of Hyperion), Gladiator, Binary/Captain Marvel, Beta Ray Bill, Miracleman, Thunderstrike, Jane Thor, Her, Hulk, and on and on. Ikaris is a super lightweight compared to the rest of the field and he knows it from his fight with the Cosmic-Powered Hulk. I was thinking maybe he got a power up of some kind which might have emboldened him to take on the Mad Titan. I was also thinking that fight lasted about two panels longer than it needed to.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I'm just trying to figure out in what reality does Ikaris even think he remotely has a chance against Thanos that he would even try to fight him? It's not that Thanos is the extreme end power wise. It's that Ikaris as I remember him wasn't really all that powerful. He may be formidable by Eternal standards, but as Marvel heavy hitters go, he's not in the same class as Silver Surfer, Thor, the original Drax the Destroyer, Nova, Sentry, America Chavez, Hyperion (any version of Hyperion), Gladiator, Binary/Captain Marvel, Beta Ray Bill, Miracleman, Thunderstrike, Jane Thor, Her, Hulk, and on and on. Ikaris is a super lightweight compared to the rest of the field and he knows it from his fight with the Cosmic-Powered Hulk. I was thinking maybe he got a power up of some kind which might have emboldened him to take on the Mad Titan. I was also thinking that fight lasted about two panels longer than it needed to.
    Eternal powerlevels are kinda shakey depending on the decade. Sersi for instance was crazy strong in the 90s when she was on the Avengers. But Ikaris and most of eternals got nerf'd when writers shifted from Sersi being the best matter manipulator to being the only Eternal that uses it. Ikaris in the last two Eternals runs has basically just been a flying brick that isn't quite as strong as the really strong bricks. He is probably equal to or greater than Ben Grimm strength wise. He is still really hard to hurt, as shown in All new Invaders when he fought Namor, OG humam torch, and cap 1v3. He has psychic powers and teleportation(which might have been upgraded to time travel going from the preview). Eternals tends to be able to take more than they can dish.