Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    That's crazy to me. Like saying 2+2=5. The whole reason that Hawkman became such a mess was a result of the one universe and mashing both Hawkmen together on the same Earth. Before that it made sense that there were two different Carter Halls--one a reincarnated Egyptian prince and the other a Thanagarian policeman--on two different worlds. It didn't need to be sorted out. But writers bent their backs trying to make sense of Hawkman when the one Earth happened.
    Actually . . . right after CoIE, there weren't any problems having two versions of Hawkman because one was a reincarnated Egyptian prince and the other was a cop from another planet. Katar and Shayera Hol even had a series that lasted for 17 issues between 1986 and 1987.

The real problem was Tim Truman's Hawkworld 3-issue series in 1989 (about 3 years after CoIE). It was an interesting series that re-envisioned Katar Hol, but DC decided to make that the replacement of the already existing Katar Hol, AND instead of making it a retroactive retcon of his origin, they let it take place in the (then) "present-time", meaning they now had three years worth of post-CoIE / pre-Hawkworld Katar Hol-related stories that had to be explained without the use of Katar Hol. (So suddenly, Golden Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl/woman had to be plugged in to all those Katar and Shayera Hol stories. Stories that may involve Thanagarian technology, which of course was easily found in Ancient Egypt?)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Actually . . . right after CoIE, there weren't any problems having two versions of Hawkman because one was a reincarnated Egyptian prince and the other was a cop from another planet. Katar and Shayera Hol even had a series that lasted for 17 issues between 1986 and 1987.

The real problem was Tim Truman's Hawkworld 3-issue series in 1989 (about 3 years after CoIE). It was an interesting series that re-envisioned Katar Hol, but DC decided to make that the replacement of the already existing Katar Hol, AND instead of making it a retroactive retcon of his origin, they let it take place in the (then) "present-time", meaning they now had three years worth of post-CoIE / pre-Hawkworld Katar Hol-related stories that had to be explained without the use of Katar Hol. (So suddenly, Golden Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl/woman had to be plugged in to all those Katar and Shayera Hol stories. Stories that may involve Thanagarian technology, which of course was easily found in Ancient Egypt?)
    I declare, just thinking about issue 1 of the monthly Hawkworld title sets my nose ableeding.

BTW: Good to see you back Major, you'd been gone a while it feels like.

I'm more fond of the imprints than the main line. I also liked separating WildStorm and Milestone from the main DCU. So I'm cool with putting them back on Earth 2.

But if you wanna do a period piece with them on the main universe I'm cool with that too.

I see potential in both options.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    At first, I want the same earth for simplicity but now I prefer different earth so Superman can be first superhero
    I never saw the need to make Superman the first, The DCU by its very nature implies that superhuman beings have always been around. Guys like Vandel Savage and immortal man, are thousands of years old. Their are whole pantheons of gods and demigods walking around. Some of which are heroic in nature.

Even in the real world you had pulp heroes that predated Superman by decades.
    Superman is the most important Superhero because he solidified the genre but he really doesn’t have to be the first.

Amazing Member

I prefer the JSA to be on Earth-Two. The multiverse, in spite of what Marv Wolfman claimed back in 1985, is not a difficult concept for kids or adults to grasp. It also provides a good method of allowing the older versions of characters like Superman, Batman (dead), and Wonder Woman to exist, and interact with not only their children, but also their Earth-One (younger) counterparts. One of the main arguments I've heard for placing them on the same Earth as the mainline heroes is to place them in the role of "elder statesmen" or legacy heroes. I would argue they can perform this function regardless of whether or not they're on a parallel Earth. Heck, in the Silver Age Barry Allen visited Earth-Two frequently. There's no reason why the Transmatter device used by the JLA and JSA to meet for their annual team-ups in the pre-Crisis DCU couldn't be brought back. I'd also suggest that keeping the JSA, All-Star Squadron, Infinity Inc., etc. on Earth-Two would allow writers to bring them into prominence because on their world they're it - the "main" heroes - not just one group among many (JLA, Titans, Outsiders, GL Corps, and so forth).

Earth Two. As we've seen in some of the later Earth Two stories, that earth had differences from ours and Earth One as far as politics is concerned. A world that has seen decades of superheroing should have developed some differences from our planet as far as tech and science knowledge is concerned. DC really can't shift their main Earth (whatever it's called this year) too far from our Earth as the heroes need a familiar place to live on.

The JSA on DC's main Earth really hasn't accomplished much over the years as the history they've lived through is exactly like our own. The time period is also getting farther and farther in the past making the characters older and older. For some, that's no big deal, but for many, swinging a fist at 45 we believe, even at 60 we can accept with some disbelief, but when their ages get to 80 and now 100 and getting older, we not only lose the human characters, but their families and contacts. Their kids somehow need to fit in as well.

Put on their own Earth, with a history they've had a big part in changing, we can accept a different world where it may be 1985, but doesn't look it..

Earth Two and itt wasn't even a tough decision for me.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    I never saw the need to make Superman the first, The DCU by its very nature implies that superhuman beings have always been around. Guys like Vandel Savage and immortal man, are thousands of years old. Their are whole pantheons of gods and demigods walking around. Some of which are heroic in nature.

Even in the real world you had pulp heroes that predated Superman by decades.
    Superman is the most important Superhero because he solidified the genre but he really doesn’t have to be the first.
    There are a lot of superhumans in the DC universe that predate Superman, but his arrival is really what makes the general populace of the DCU aware of them and thats when stuff starts getting crazy.

He's still treated as the most important superhero in-universe post-Crisis, but with his status as the first public one gone and (at least the initial) scaling down of power, it's kind of a mystery where that reputation comes from because he doesn't stand out as much. It's coasting along off the reputation he got from the preceding 50+ years. Is he just....ultra nice? At least before when superheroes looked to him as the figurehead/leader, you understood where it came from.

Astonishing Member

I'll suggest this crazy idea here:

When WW2 ends on Earth 2, the Spectre transports the JSA to Earth 1 at the beginning of Earth 1's WW2...and transports them away from Earth 1 shortly after Earth 1's WW2 ends...maybe to Earth 4's WW2?

This way we have the best of both worlds (pun intended): JSA has their own earth...and they were the first heroes for Earth 1...and maybe a few other earths. Plus, WW2 seems to be the JSA's thing.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    I'll suggest this crazy idea here:

When WW2 ends on Earth 2, the Spectre transports the JSA to Earth 1 at the beginning of Earth 1's WW2...and transports them away from Earth 1 shortly after Earth 1's WW2 ends...maybe to Earth 4's WW2?

This way we have the best of both worlds (pun intended): JSA has their own earth...and they were the first heroes for Earth 1...and maybe a few other earths. Plus, WW2 seems to be the JSA's thing.
    That makes for a really interesting Elseworlds story.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    That will never happen though because all their main breadwinners are on the main earth. Crossovers are the main moneymakers of modern comics. putting them on a different earth essentially turns them into the Legion of Superheroes, a bunch of heroes that are sidelined because they aren't part of the ongoing storyline that really matters. (I love the Legion but you know their gradual slip into obscurity is because of this.)
    Maybe, but that’s what the annual crossovers would use to help drum up interest in the Earth 2 characters.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

The one and only Earth one. Not a fan of Multiverse, COIE should never have been reversed.
    Nothing wrong with being the predecessor of actual Justice League.
    Flash family is not the same without Jay
    GL history is not the same without Alan (Jade and Obsidian).
    JSA don't need their own Earth to have enough room, they've got already their role in Earth one and it is crucial.

Earth 2. The Earths didn't quite mesh together and it made a mess out of several characters. Though I understand the appeal of having everyone on the same Earth.

Incredible Member

I prefer a combined main Earth, though a two Earth set up could work, providing it's done right.

For the Earth 2 thing to work, the primary reason is just to get around the age issue, allowing the veteran characters to remain alive and active without having to stretch things. "Earth 2" would be younger than main Earth meaning WWII happened 30-40 years ago, while the modern day in the 70's-80's would be indistinguishable from the modern day Earth technology wise due to super science. All of the JSA's legacy characters and members need to be retained and back imported to Earth 2. Unlike in the New 52 where Stargirl, Mr. Terrific and Black Canary were rebooted as main earth characters divorced from their JSA legacy connections they should be Earth 2 native characters, and the same goes for any others. No erasing characters like Obsidian or Jade, or merging golden age Atom and Atom Smasher into a composite character. The JSA need to be old enough their legacies exist. The Earth 2 and Earth one characters need to be freely able to cross earths and interact with each other. Hero and villain characters should both easily be able to travel between earths. Barry and Wally should be able to cross earths to ask Jay for advice. Black Canary and Jade should be able to hop over and date Green Arrow and Kyle Rayner. The JSA and the JLA should still have a yearly meetups. Earth 2 should not be treated as ghetto to segregate the characters or used as disposable canon fodder for events. Crossovers need to be just as easy with two earths as it is one.

Obviously New 52 take on Earth 2 and the characters dropped the ball on all this completely, and I'm afraid has poisoned the well for Earth 2 as a concept for the foreseeable future. And it's currently taking up the multiversal real estate that a proper Earth 2 would need to occupy.

Anyway I'm happy with the JSA team we got back in the main universe in Doomsday Clock, and hope that's the exact team of characters we get when the JSA finally get relaunched without any alterations beyond adding Shayera or using the Jesse Quick id over the Liberty Belle id.

Main world. The Johns JSA book was gold.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    There are a lot of superhumans in the DC universe that predate Superman, but his arrival is really what makes the general populace of the DCU aware of them and thats when stuff starts getting crazy.

He's still treated as the most important superhero in-universe post-Crisis, but with his status as the first public one gone and (at least the initial) scaling down of power, it's kind of a mystery where that reputation comes from because he doesn't stand out as much. It's coasting along off the reputation he got from the preceding 50+ years. Is he just....ultra nice? At least before when superheroes looked to him as the figurehead/leader, you understood where it came from.
    You don't need to be the first in your field to gain a reputation.

But then again, I don't see the need to put any hero above the others in the first place.