Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

The comics already have so many explanations for why the JSA are younger than they should be, I don't think they need to start retconning in more of them. Don't bend over backwards coming up yet another JSA retcon, just incorporate the ones DC already has.

The Silver Age put them on Earth-2, the Bronze Age explained that time moved slower there and that the JSA & their loved ones were magically given extra vitality on top of that. And now Doomsday Clock has revealed that the JSA originally came from Earth-0, then were shunted off to Earth-2 in 1956 before returning to the main Earth in 1986.

Just go with that.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 12-18-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The comics already have so many explanations for why the JSA are younger than they should be, I don't think they need to start retconning in more of them. Don't bend over backwards coming up yet another JSA retcon, just incorporate the ones DC already has.

The Silver Age put them on Earth-2, the Bronze Age explained that time moved slower there and that the JSA & their loved ones were magically given extra vitality on top of that. And now Doomsday Clock has revealed that the JSA originally came from Earth-0, then were shunted off to Earth-2 in 1956 before returning to the main Earth in 1986.

Just go with that.
    That's actually not what Doomsday Clock said. The idea there was that the JSA (and the Golden Age) originally occurred on Earth 0. But then Earth 0's timeline was altered to become the Silver Age earth with the JLA, but the original timeline with the Golden Age and the JSA became what we came to know as Earth 2. And during COIE, this Earth 2 was merged, along with other earths, to form a new version of Earth 0. But none of this does much to restore the youth of the JSA. Through all of this, they remained tied to WW2, which means that they are getting older.

Now my idea of the JSA being shunted off to Earth 2, say, due to Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt or something, and then physically returning to Earth 0 about 70 years later (though its only been 20 years for them), could be a way to incorporate the above into the framework of Earth 0 continuity, with a few tweaks.

That idea have potential. They went to a place where time passed slowly.
    But the problem would be their sucessors. At some point you would have to transform Infinity Inc. kids from sons and daughters to grandsons and granddaughters.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    That idea have potential. They went to a place where time passed slowly.
    But the problem would be their sucessors. At some point you would have to transform Infinity Inc. kids from sons and daughters to grandsons and granddaughters.
    If they even exist . . .

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Is it me or does this question pop up every other week? Anyway, as I always post ad nauseum, it's Earth-2 for me. IMO, I can't think of anything on Main Earth that you can't have on separate Earths (legacies, mentoring, etc.), but you now have two super groups of equal strengths.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Is it me or does this question pop up every other week? Anyway, as I always post ad nauseum, it's Earth-2 for me. IMO, I can't think of anything on Main Earth that you can't have on separate Earths (legacies, mentoring, etc.), but you now have two super groups of equal strengths.
    It does. Not every other week, but pretty steadily. And I'm with you.

Since we're repeating ourselves, go with Bates and Maggins answer. Time passes slower on E2 and give it a retro look.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If they even exist . . .
    Jade and Obsidian exists, at least. as was show in the Infinite Frontier cover.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Jade and Obsidian exists, at least. as was show in the Infinite Frontier cover.
    Just because they're drawn on a cover doesn't necessarily mean they exist.

They could wind up being in a dream Alan has after eating too much at a Taco Bell.
    (And since it seemed like DC is leaning to retroactively making Alan having been always gay, it does raise more questions as to what their origin would be.)

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    That's actually not what Doomsday Clock said. The idea there was that the JSA (and the Golden Age) originally occurred on Earth 0. But then Earth 0's timeline was altered to become the Silver Age earth with the JLA, but the original timeline with the Golden Age and the JSA became what we came to know as Earth 2. And during COIE, this Earth 2 was merged, along with other earths, to form a new version of Earth 0. But none of this does much to restore the youth of the JSA. Through all of this, they remained tied to WW2, which means that they are getting older.

Now my idea of the JSA being shunted off to Earth 2, say, due to Johnny Thunder's Thunderbolt or something, and then physically returning to Earth 0 about 70 years later (though its only been 20 years for them), could be a way to incorporate the above into the framework of Earth 0 continuity, with a few tweaks.
    Huh? I never said Doomsday Clock established that time moves slower on Earth-2, that was done in the Bronze Age by Cary Bates, I believe, then Roy Thomas added in the Ian Karkul stuff.

I think they should incorporate that older stuff with Johns most recent retcon from Doomsday Clock

Just because they're drawn on a cover doesn't necessarily mean they exist.

They could wind up being in a dream Alan has after eating too much at a Taco Bell.
    (And since it seemed like DC is leaning to retroactively making Alan having been always gay, it does raise more questions as to what their origin would be.)
    We missed your boundless pessimism Major!

We missed your boundless pessimism Major!
    "Pessimism" or "realism"?

Remember, this is DC Comics.
    (Remember back in . . . was it 2017? . . . when Bleeding Cold swore they had inside information that there was going to be a JSA series coming that year? Do you know how many people got soooooooo upset with me because I had an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude about it actually happening?)

(Remember back in . . . was it 2017? . . . when Bleeding Cold swore they had inside information that there was going to be a JSA series coming that year? Do you know how many people got soooooooo upset with me because I had an "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude about it actually happening?)
    Really, major? You're falling back on the old "I'm a realist" line? I expect better of you.

You claimed that the JSA don't exist even though they have appeared in multiple comics by now and creators affirming that the characters exist and there are future plans for them.

That, sir, is not being realistic. That is your signature brand of grumpy old fanboy we know and love.

Just because one rumor from Bleeding Cool didn't pan out doesn’t mean we should dismiss all the evidence we can see with our own eyes.

Yes, the JSA exist. Their kids exist. Their continuity has been tweaked again, yes, but it's still the classic JSA.

Now, given all the editorial and corporate shenanigans DC has gone through over the past decade, I can understand your frustration over the JSA being stuck in limbo for this long as I share it, too.

Hell, it's entirely possible that the JSA won't get an ongoing title now that AT&T is cutting the line, but that doesn't mean that the JSA or their children don't exist in whatever this current incarnation of DCU continuity ends up being.

To think otherwise is not realism, but a denial of it in order to cloak yourself in cynicism.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post

Superman coming after them and being inspired by them always seems artificial though. We know historically both in-universe (for 50 or so years) and in a meta sense they were peers of his, and most of them were only invented due to the success of Action Comics and kickstarting the genre. So scenes like that one I've seen of Clark giving Alan a pep talk and saying he and the JSA inspired heroes like him always gives a vibe of "who are you kidding?" to me. In-universe and scenes of writers blatantly saying "this is why they're important, because they inspired (specifically) Superman, Batman & Robin and Wonder Woman!" seems to be elevating them to a status they don't actually have.
    This is exactly why I prefer them on Earth 2.

Incredible Member

There was meant to be one scheduled after Doomsday Clock. Which was delayed years. At which point, Snyder jumped in and used them in Justice League.

Really, major? You're falling back on the old "I'm a realist" line? I expect better of you.

You claimed that the JSA don't exist even though they have appeared in multiple comics by now and creators affirming that the characters exist and there are future plans for them.

That, sir, is not being realistic. That is your signature brand of grumpy old fanboy we know and love.

Just because one rumor from Bleeding Cool didn't pan out doesn’t mean we should dismiss all the evidence we can see with our own eyes.

Yes, the JSA exist. Their kids exist. Their continuity has been tweaked again, yes, but it's still the classic JSA.

Now, given all the editorial and corporate shenanigans DC has gone through over the past decade, I can understand your frustration over the JSA being stuck in limbo for this long as I share it, too.

Hell, it's entirely possible that the JSA won't get an ongoing title now that AT&T is cutting the line, but that doesn't mean that the JSA or their children don't exist in whatever this current incarnation of DCU continuity ends up being.

To think otherwise is not realism, but a denial of it in order to cloak yourself in cynicism.
    Sadly, MajorHoy is right. Jade and Obsidian didn't exist. Alan Scott didn't exist. The JSA didn't exist. They are all fictional characters. Sorry for burst your bubble.

And worst...

Santa didn't exist.