Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Is this canon or is this an anthology like Batman B&W?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Is this canon or is this an anthology like Batman B&W?
    Anthology, same setup as B&W just a different color scheme.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

From Watters Twitter.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

From Watters Twitter.
    At first I wanted to comment that this looks statuesque, like something out of art deco. But then...

Superbulge has entered the chat.

Pure, unadultered, Grade A Superman. No preservatives.

Not going to be getting this anywhere else for some time so I'm going to appreciate this.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Do loves me some John Paul Leon. Don't know why, never was a big fan of the minimalist style but he pulls it off well.
    Assassinate Putin!

Interview with Ridley about the first issue coming out next week: https://www.cbr.com/john-ridley-supe...lue-interview/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    At first I wanted to comment that this looks statuesque, like something out of art deco. But then...

Having flashbacks to the infamous batmember
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Interview with Ridley about the first issue coming out next week: https://www.cbr.com/john-ridley-supe...lue-interview/
    it wasn't just another story about him being the most powerful person in the universe, but having to be a man and what it was like for him, for maybe the first time in his life, to realize that when it comes down to it he's still just flesh and bone
    Lol yes, maybe

But I am looking forward to the anthology
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

It's just an optical illusion created by those bikini cut trunks...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Decided to pick it up and rolled my eyes when in first story we had "Eventually, with Batman's help I escaped" line. I guess I'll finish it later.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Decided to pick it up and rolled my eyes when in first story we had "Eventually, with Batman's help I escaped" line. I guess I'll finish it later.
    It’s an epilogue to an old World’s Finest story. So that’s what actually happened.

Incredible Member

Well, that was disappointing. Not necessarily because the stories were bad, mind you, but because of the selection. The first 3 stories are "Superman goes back to a place he was tortured in", "Superman and other heroes can't fix The Real Issues" and "Superman is incapacitated and a kid loses a hand saving him". Then we get the fourth story, "Human Colors", and somehow Dan Watters takes a story about a 5D imp stealing colors (in an issue whose gimmick is the limited color palette) and instead of writing a crazy awesome funny adventure, he makes it all a somber meditation on the importance colors. It takes until the last story, Bennett's and Thompson's "The School of Hard Knock-Knock Jokes", to get something that doesn't want to just tear down the character (or is so enamoured with the concept that it forgets to have fun with it).

And, as I said, it's not that I thought the stories were bad themselves. Okay, I think "Human Colors" is bad, and I'm not inclined to like stories where kids have to sacrifice themselves to save grown adult heroes (though that bias aside "The Boy Who Saved Superman" is the only story beside the last one that has some sense of fun), and "The Measure of Hope" seemed to simultaneously criticize superheroes for not doing more and absolve them of having to do more...

Oh, I just realized the only stories here I unambiguously liked were the first one and the last one. Ridley, Henry, Bellaire and Sharpe do a good job depicting trauma's effects on a personal and societal scale, and Bennet, Thompson and Petteri write a good kid Clark Kent story, not too revelatory, but fun.

Well, at least the next two issues sound better. The May one even promises to have actual action in a Superman story.

Finished reading it and I think Human Colors was my favourite one? Loved Henry's and Craig's art, but stories didn't really connect much with me.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Well, that was disappointing. Not necessarily because the stories were bad, mind you, but because of the selection. The first 3 stories are "Superman goes back to a place he was tortured in", "Superman and other heroes can't fix The Real Issues" and "Superman is incapacitated and a kid loses a hand saving him". Then we get the fourth story, "Human Colors", and somehow Dan Watters takes a story about a 5D imp stealing colors (in an issue whose gimmick is the limited color palette) and instead of writing a crazy awesome funny adventure, he makes it all a somber meditation on the importance colors. It takes until the last story, Bennett's and Thompson's "The School of Hard Knock-Knock Jokes", to get something that doesn't want to just tear down the character (or is so enamoured with the concept that it forgets to have fun with it).

And, as I said, it's not that I thought the stories were bad themselves. Okay, I think "Human Colors" is bad, and I'm not inclined to like stories where kids have to sacrifice themselves to save grown adult heroes (though that bias aside "The Boy Who Saved Superman" is the only story beside the last one that has some sense of fun), and "The Measure of Hope" seemed to simultaneously criticize superheroes for not doing more and absolve them of having to do more...

Oh, I just realized the only stories here I unambiguously liked were the first one and the last one. Ridley, Henry, Bellaire and Sharpe do a good job depicting trauma's effects on a personal and societal scale, and Bennet, Thompson and Petteri write a good kid Clark Kent story, not too revelatory, but fun.

Well, at least the next two issues sound better. The May one even promises to have actual action in a Superman story.
    Totally agree. So disappointing.

Superman is either a guest star, needing to be saved, reduced to just a "symbol of hope" or a victim as depicted in this disappointment of a book. I didnt see any of the action hero in here. So.much naval gazing.

I didnt read Batman black and white but I bet Batman gets to actually act like a super hero in there and be front and center rather than being a damsel in distress or someone who is just there on the side to "inspire" the main character.

As a Superman fan this this just feels like more short changing of such a great character. Why is it so hard to give the greatest super hero good stories?

And the art was not that great either. As well as the colors I didn't think were used in an especially creative way.

I would drop this here and now but I have some hope for the Venditti story in issue three. But that doesnt really sound like enough to justify to continue picking this up.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake