Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

That is some damn good art!
    Assassinate Putin!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    That is some damn good art!
    If nothing else, these books are pretty.

Issue 3 is out! I think my favorite two stories were Spencer/Ward and the Stokoe ones. Overall though I think this was my favorite issue so far:

Deadline - I thought this story was super cute and funny seeing Bruce and Diana talk about Clark’s job. Good “day in the life” story.

Kilg%re City - Nice art but the dialogue felt stiff and unnatural.

A Man Most Saved - Another “Superman is saved by a civilian” story but Thomas manages to do a great job with it. Clark is still active throughout the story and the twist that the two manage to save each other was welcome. Really glad we got Electric Red Superman too!

Something to Hold On To - This was fantastic. A nice little Showcase of how cool the Fortress of Solitude is and a neat Toyman showcase that also balances Kal’s loneliness and compassion. I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing Spencer write more Superman

Little Star - Another great story about Superman meeting another lost alien child searching for home.
    Last edited by Vordan; 05-18-2021 at 10:32 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Issue 3 is out! I think my favorite two stories were Spencer/Ward and the Stokoe ones. Overall though I think this was my favorite issue so far:

Deadline - I thought this story was super cute and funny seeing Bruce and Diana talk about Clark’s job. Good “day in the life” story.

A Man Most Saved - Another “Superman is saved by a civilian” story but Thomas manages to do a great job with it. Clark is still active throughout the story and the twist that the two manage to save each other was welcome. Really glad we got Electric Red Superman too!

Something to Hold On To - This was fantastic. A nice little Showcase of how cool the Fortress of Solitude is and a neat Toyman showcase that also balances Kal’s loneliness and compassion. I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing Spencer write more Superman

Little Star - Another great story about Superman meeting another lost alien child searching for home.
    Completely agree with your opinions here.

Spencer and Ward story was my favorite too, actually is my favorite from all three issues so far. Little Star was also good, it show Superman doing something that only Superman could do.
    Brandon Thomas story was indeed another "someone saves Superman" type of story present in the previous issues and that probably will be present in next ones too, but it was a good one, specially as it played fast and loose with Superman chronology.

I have so many questions about that image. Starting with why would he start off with a real super-suit and then revert to the T-shirt and jeans?
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

Oh, that was that good Superman stuff. Not that great Superman stuff, nothing here can be called "great" except maybe the Spencer/Ward story, but certainly a very good selection of stories, easily the best in this anthology so far. Mostly agree with Vordan's comments, I liked Kilg%re City more and I didn't even mind the dad lecture at the end since it felt fitting and not gratuitious, and didn't like the ending of Little Star much. A Man Most Saved makes the previous "random civilian saves Superman" stories in this anthology look even worse than they already did. Overall, a damn good issue.

Just for fun, making a list of appearences by the supporting cast (not villains or other heroes):
    - Issue #1: Lois Lane, Martha and Jonathan Kent
    - Issue #2: Martha and Jonathan Kent, Val Zod and (Earth-2) Krypto (if they count)
    - Issue #3: Perry White, Cat Grant, Jor-El and Lara, Krypto

Tease from Manupal for issue 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I have so many questions about that image. Starting with why would he start off with a real super-suit and then revert to the T-shirt and jeans?
    It’s all back in canon thanks to Death Metal, probably best not to think too hard about how it all fits. Of course you can always headcanon it as Clark wearing the t-shirt and jeans during one of his many power down periods, or through time travel, or that it was an alternate universe Superman lol.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Are there 2 Lois there?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Are there 2 Lois there?
    I’m assuming red shirt is Lois, anyone else are just faceless “other” reporters

Is that Commissioner Gordon asking questions there?
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Really been enjoying this series so far. Finally got my copy of issue #3 and while there may have been some individual stories in previous issues I might have liked more, this seemed to be the strongest start to finish.

Highlights for me:

Deadline - Batman as rich guy d-bag. Doesn’t think working at a newspaper is a real job and Clark jabs him with the “I need a job to may my rent” line. Also liked how he turned weakness to strength regarding the whole lead thing. Seems like it should have been more obvious to bad guys but Clark outsmarting small time punks is always fun to see. Classic dummy bad guys. Clark always making time for his friends.

Kilg%ore City - Cool stylized art. Especially liked the depiction of his x-ray vision. Maybe my least fave of the issue though.

A Man Most Saved - Although it’s another civilian saves trope I liked this one, mostly because of the character Charley Miles. Humble, happy-go-lucky type guy. Really liked how Superman was blasting out his heat vision while being operated on by the doc. Plus the costume montage had two of my personal faves: black suit mullet and t-shirt jeans.

Something to Hold On To - ditto to what’s already been said, pretty great all around. Was looking forward to Christian Ward after reading vol 1 of Invisible Kingdom and it sure delivered. The fortress was a character unto itself within the story. It can be isolating, completely so if you let it. He needs “his alone,” but needs people too.

Little Star - As good as the others were, I think this was my personal fave. Short yet effective vignette type tale of how Supes can talk it out and personally connect with some random alien creature. Got a good chuckle out of him tossing and repurposing the Lexcorp satellites.

Those panels from issue #4 are looking fantastic.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Hell of a cover!

Fantastic Member oneveryfineday's Avatar

I just noticed Bizarro is flying downwards rather than upwards! Looking at all the details on this entire cover is just a delight.