Page 283 of 376 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287293333 ... LastLast
Results 4,231 to 4,245 of 5626

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Superman fans really hate cynics.They should also hate lois then?..The unblooded sword....The difference these stories and rurouni kenshin or daredevil or any of the other stories is the lack of diverse viewpoints,which really makes the stories blind hero worship.

Why is hero worshipping superman good and mongul bad?For that matter why is hero worshipping as a concept good?what does clark think of hero worshipping?Where is "hajime saito" for superman?no answers given.
    Does superman family have diverse thought processess,ideologies,working style,motives..etc(i hope they do)?

I still say manchester black>>>>>>superman family..I don't care if superman is holy knight or lord and savior or not.I want people who generally think clark is full of **** around him.I am atleast glad manchester didn't turn "true believer".I welcomed a cast member who was irreverent.Lex being back is welcome.
    Lois isn't really a cynic though. At least deep down.

Hoping beyond hope that Manchester Black's imprisonment at Lex's hand does have something to do with the speculation regarding Clark's secret identity getting put back in the bottle. Until that gets reversed, I haven't bought any ongoing Superman comics from Bendis' run up to PKJ's. This would let me check out PKJ's run to see how good it is.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Superman fans really hate cynics...The difference these stories and rurouni kenshin or daredevil or any of the other stories is the lack of diverse viewpoints,which really makes the stories blind hero worship.
    That has been Lex Luthor's role for decades, which is a shame as he's so clearly the villain.

Why is hero worshipping superman good and mongul bad?For that matter why is hero worshipping as a concept good?what does clark think of hero worshipping?Where is "hajime saito" for superman?no answers given.
    Does superman family have diverse thought processess,ideologies,working style,motives..etc(i hope they do)?
    DC don't have the balls to touch this stuff. They'll tinker around the idea of moral quandary but ultimately you're just getting Superman = good and right, while avoiding anything remotely controversial. "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?" is a great example. Nothing is said, other than if Superman became a monster he'd be scary. No duh!

It's part of why the character has little bite these days. They're so desperate to avoid upsetting and/or losing the dwindling fan base (while lacking the vision and strength to try and regain his popularity) they just continue on the same milquetoast trajectory until there's nothing left.

But DC have been like this for decades, so expecting more from them is just fooling yourself.

I still say manchester black>>>>>>superman family..I don't care if superman is holy knight or lord and savior or not.I want people who generally think clark is full of **** around him.I am atleast glad manchester didn't turn "true believer".I welcomed a cast member who was irreverent.Lex being back is welcome.
    Guy Gardener used to be this kind of character. Green Arrow had his moments. But pretty much all DC heroes are now cookie cutter good, nice people who all get along, don't have politics and exist purely to preserve the status quo without acknowledging any of its flaws.

It's probably why Batman sells. At least that guy has an agenda (that can be read a number of ways), often appears to be striving for change (a Gotham free from crime and corruption) and has a touch of edge.
    Last edited by exile001; 11-23-2022 at 06:16 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    Until that gets reversed, I haven't bought any ongoing Superman comics from Bendis' run up to PKJ's. This would let me check out PKJ's run to see how good it is.
    I find it so odd that you'd be utterly against a relatively minor change that you're refusing to read a character you love. You're only hurting yourself there.

Still, I guess comic fans gotta reject change and all that. Kinda proving my above points.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Yeah it would be pretty sick if it was an original Federici cover as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I told PKJ on Twitter that he should push to get that Steve Beach cover done for the Warworld Apocalypse one shot used as an omnibus cover and I still think that would be the best choice short of getting Federeci back to do an original cover like you suggest.
    To the hypothetical omni/hardcover wish list I would add a pinup section with all the Tedesco variants. Those were f'n incredible.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

BANNED

Clark and Jon's secret identities to be reinstated in AC#1050

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/su...ack-exclusive/

"The stories we're about to tell in Action Comics, Superman, and Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent are a celebration of everything Superman is, from the Super Family to the Daily Planet to the most iconic love story in comics, Lois and Clark," said Action Comics writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson. "Some elements of the Lois and Clark dynamic can only be there with the secret identity. And even just on a deep-down gut level, something about seeing Clark Kent in the tie and glasses again, ripping open his shirt to reveal the S-shield underneath, just feels AMAZING. It's an image that puts John Williams' music right in your ear, and you feel like you can fly. That's how we want every Superman story to feel."

"The truth is a very important thing for Clark Kent," added incoming Superman writer Joshua Williamson. "For someone to steal that from him is a tragic moment and created a lot of interesting drama and story possibilities for the Superman line in 2023. We wanted to play with all the pieces of the great and iconic Superman mythology that we all love. When this challenge was presented to us, we wanted to make sure it was not just magically being put back in the box. There are dangerous repercussions to how this happens that lead to more story to explore. And you'll see the start of that in Action Comics #1050!"
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 11-23-2022 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    That has been Lex Luthor's role for decades, which is a shame as he's so clearly the villain.

DC don't have the balls to touch this stuff. They'll tinker around the idea of moral quandary but ultimately you're just getting Superman = good and right, while avoiding anything remotely controversial. "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?" is a great example. Nothing is said, other than if Superman became a monster he'd be scary. No duh!

It's part of why the character has little bite these days. They're so desperate to avoid upsetting and/or losing the dwindling fan base (while lacking the vision and strength to try and regain his popularity) they just continue on the same milquetoast trajectory until there's nothing left.

But DC have been like this for decades, so expecting more from them is just fooling yourself.

Guy Gardener used to be this kind of character. Green Arrow had his moments. But pretty much all DC heroes are now cookie cutter good, nice people who all get along, don't have politics and exist purely to preserve the status quo without acknowledging any of its flaws.

It's probably why Batman sells. At least that guy has an agenda (that can be read a number of ways), often appears to be striving for change (a Gotham free from crime and corruption) and has a touch of edge.
    I don’t think you’re giving current Action enough credit. Clark did just topple Mongul’s rule over a world built on slavery after all, and solicits tease that the book is going to be touching on the tensions that arise from taking in refugees. While the book could be more critical of Clark himself, I wouldn’t say it’s been toothless at all. And hey if you want a book that’s explicitly talking about our current political situation, Superman & the Authority definitely is more critical of Clark himself and the wider world we find ourselves in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post

Yeah I figured this was coming. Like I said, the last Lex/Manchester Black story had the secret identity go back in the bottle, I figured a story involving the two of them would do something similar. If they’re doing this then that needs to be it, no more outing Clark anymore. They’ve done that story twice, they’ve backed away from it twice, put a bow on it and leave it alone for at 20 years or whatever.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

BANNED

From what the article possibly infers here, I think the repercussions are that Lois forgets the identity, though I think this will last about a year or so, Johnson says they'll be using this story to celebrate Superman and his family as well as his love for Lois so it might just be to prove Lois will always choose Clark over Superman ultimately.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post

Yes! Yes! Finally .

I had a feeling it was coming back with how "classic" and back-to-basics Williamson's run was setup in.

Ditto with Waid involved more heavily in DC now. He might not be able to touch Jon or the marriage, but the SI is one thing I can see him wanting back immediately.
    Yeah I figured this was coming. Like I said, the last Lex/Manchester Black story had the secret identity go back in the bottle, I figured a story involving the two of them would do something similar. If they’re doing this then that needs to be it, no more outing Clark anymore. They’ve done that story twice, they’ve backed away from it twice, put a bow on it and leave it alone for at 20 years or whatever.
    I just get this idea that Lex is restoring Superman's secret identity because he still can't accept a reality where Clark Kent is Superman .

Given that they’re restoring the secret identity but not kid Jon, which besides Superman founding the United Planets is pretty much the only thing from Bendis that is still in play, I’m guessing if they ever do restore a kid Jon it will be a Trunks situation. We’ll have the kid and the older version co-existing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yes! Yes! Finally .

I had a feeling it was coming back with how "classic" and back-to-basics Williamson's run was setup in.

Ditto with Waid involved more heavily in DC now. He might not be able to touch Jon or the marriage, but the SI is one thing I can see him wanting back immediately.
    Does Waid care that much I wonder? He’s doing “his” Superman through BL, so he might be more open to changes with mainline Superman.
    I just get this idea that Lex is restoring Superman's secret identity because he still can't accept a reality where Clark Kent is Superman .
    I do hope they provide an actual reason why Clark is reverting to keeping his ID a secret instead of just coming out again, that doesn’t feel like a total break with how Bendis characterized him feeling about coming out. But I’m not expecting it.
    Last edited by Vordan; 11-23-2022 at 12:38 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Fucking finally

God there was absolutely no reason at all to out himself, just a nonsensical extreme obsession of "the truth"

It was just Bendis trying to shake up the setting for no reason

Does Waid care that much I wonder? He’s doing “his” Superman through BL, so he might be more open to changes with mainline Superman.
    I think he'd care in as far as if he's a DC Architect now (apparently) so he's probably able to effect at least some things as far as the mainline is concerned. Maybe other writers wanted it back too.

Or maybe just Williamson wanted it. Definitely not PKJ because he was fine without it.
    I do hope they provide an actual reason why Clark is reverting to keeping his ID a secret instead of just coming out again, that doesn’t feel like a total break with how Bendis characterized him feeling about coming out. But I’m not expecting it.
    It doesn't sound like he has a choice about getting it back but there might be circumstances that prevent him from immediately outing himself again or he just doesn't see the need at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I find it so odd that you'd be utterly against a relatively minor change that you're refusing to read a character you love. You're only hurting yourself there.

Still, I guess comic fans gotta reject change and all that. Kinda proving my above points.
    I would strongly disagree that the secret identity revelation was a minor change for Superman. The duality between the Clark Kent and Superman personas have been one of the cornerstones of what made Superman comics so unique to read. In the MCU age where superheroes make their identities public or forsake having a secret identity, Superman was one of the few comic characters not to follow this trend. It's a complex, intriguing tool to represent people's different personalities and aspects and how we present ourselves to the world. I understand your point that comic fans are quick to criticise anything new, but this was a bad decision that needed to be reversed. And as of an hour ago now has.

Also I've been reading plenty of Superman back issues from the Bronze Age, Superman Smashes The Klan and Superman 78. So I've been reading plenty of Superman.

Honestly seems weird; while I wasn't the biggest fan of the reveal, I have to admit, the upcoming "Supercorp" stuff makes it look like this is the best time to explore Clark without a secret identity.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

While I do feel like the identity reveal had potential, nothing really happened with it. I mean, we got some cool moments from when he told people like Jimmy, Perry, and even the Lombard scene was kinda cool, but overall it didn't really accomplish anything. Was prob just a matter of time before they put the cat back in the bag... wonder how long they've been planning it?

Better off with the secret identity, so will be for the best.
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 11-23-2022 at 01:43 PM.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog