Page 342 of 376 FirstFirst ... 242292332338339340341342343344345346352 ... LastLast
Results 5,116 to 5,130 of 5626

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Abnett is such a solid Superman writer, I'll never understand why people saw it that way. Kinda wondered if that earlier part from Action tied into Aquaman but I haven't visited that corner of DC since like... Jabberjaw
    Part of it was that they killed off New 52 Superman, and one of the first things they had Post-Crisis Superman doing now that he was crossing over was… being the government’s messenger boy and getting his ass kicked to make other heroes look good . Definitely was a “return to tradition” moment in all the worst ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I had almost forgotten about that since it seemed so long ago, especially since there's no sign of Aquaman in Dawn of the DCU.
    Upside is that means PKJ gets a relatively free hand with Arthur and Atlantis when he does want to cross over, since they’re no other book he will have to coordinate with. Downside is it might be Arthur’s turn to get whacked with the antagonist stick, since there’s no way PKJ will have Clark be the one in the wrong if it comes to blows.

Otherwise the nature of Genesis is one of those simmering background plots. It’s probably connected to Aethyr, the god of the Phantom Zone, but how and to what end is unknown. It’s never been completely forgotten, Genesis keeps being important: it reempowered Superman on Warworld, Conduit went mad from touching it in the backups, and just recently Superman channeling its energy allowed him to manifest new powers against Metallo. It keeps being important even though it hasn’t been the focus.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Part of it was that they killed off New 52 Superman, and one of the first things they had Post-Crisis Superman doing now that he was crossing over was… being the government’s messenger boy and getting his ass kicked to make other heroes look good . Definitely was a “return to tradition” moment in all the worst ways.
    Sure enough, you can say it relates to the misnomer that somehow Post Crisis Superman was a "jobber" when comics were really his safe haven from those scenes in the cartoons and stuff like that. Same as I'd say people assumed that Abnett just did Aquaman vs Superman. Superman steps in when Arthur goes at it with U.S. soldiers and it comes full circle in the following story

https://i.ibb.co/h1rp7wp/Screenshot-20230503-000842.png

https://i.ibb.co/nRF54d0/Screenshot-20230503-000435.png
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I had almost forgotten about that since it seemed so long ago, especially since there's no sign of Aquaman in Dawn of the DCU.
    There are no plans to use him as of yet. Aside from that one Lazarus Planet backup where Aquaman protected some of the Trench who had been mutated into human forms. I suspect there's a lot more that can be done with Aquaman currently given Atlantis' current political climate, and their daughter Andy.

Sure enough, you can say it relates to the misnomer that somehow Post Crisis Superman was a "jobber" when comics were really his safe haven from those scenes in the cartoons and stuff like that. Same as I'd say people assumed that Abnett just did Aquaman vs Superman. Superman steps in when Arthur goes at it with U.S. soldiers and it comes full circle in the following story

https://i.ibb.co/h1rp7wp/Screenshot-20230503-000842.png

https://i.ibb.co/nRF54d0/Screenshot-20230503-000435.png
    Yeah it’s more nuanced in the actual story itself, but I couldn’t help finding it funny all the same. And I do believe that “classic” Superman returning was why Abnett picked him to be the hero to defend the soldiers since right or wrong, Post Crisis Superman is never beating the perception that he’s a Boy Scout that obeys government orders (kind of hard to do that when one of your first stories is hanging up the cape because Reagan ordered you to).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Yeah it’s more nuanced in the actual story itself, but I couldn’t help finding it funny all the same. And I do believe that “classic” Superman returning was why Abnett picked him to be the hero to defend the soldiers since right or wrong, Post Crisis Superman is never beating the perception that he’s a Boy Scout that obeys government orders (kind of hard to do that when one of your first stories is hanging up the cape because Reagan ordered you to).
    I'm reminded we really need more government-affiliated superhumans to at least try to stem the tide of using actual heroes in those stories.

Peacemaker already looks to be shaping up to fill that role, now we just need a heavy weight government stooge for the higher powered superheroes. Hmmmh, we could just make more use of Major Force maybe.

Problem is that if Major Force shows up then you know who is right and who is wrong. When Superman is used I think we are supposed to think that things are not as clear.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Peacemaker already looks to be shaping up to fill that role, now we just need a heavy weight government stooge for the higher powered superheroes. Hmmmh, we could just make more use of Major Force maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Problem is that if Major Force shows up then you know who is right and who is wrong. When Superman is used I think we are supposed to think that things are not as clear.
    Isn't that usually Captain Atom's role?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

He's never beating it because of confirmation bias. It doesn't matter if it makes sense in context (standing down after watching a mob nearly lynch Batman and Robin, then later seeing that same mob mentality almost kill the president as well because it's part of an Apokoliptian plot) or if the president's controversial politics have nothing to do with the story at hand (a good soldier has nothing to do with who's in the white House). You just can't show Superman work with the government because it makes him automatically a stooge and not, y'know, the guy who doesn't wear a mask because his modus operandi is inspiring trust. We have had a Superman with his middle fingers up before and all he seems to do is turn back into this guy.

Sadly, as a Captain Atom fan I'd say that guy got it even worse. People think he's even more of a puppet when his whole story is literally about being screwed by the government. After being relieved about how PKJ handles Superman, I wanna go back and check out his Captain America, and I hope if anyone touches Atom again it's this sort of guy who understands how to write heroes who don't necessarily have to be "edgy."

He's never beating it because of confirmation bias. It doesn't matter if it makes sense in context (standing down after watching a mob nearly lynch Batman and Robin, then later seeing that same mob mentality almost kill the president as well because it's part of an Apokoliptian plot) or if the president's controversial politics have nothing to do with the story at hand (a good soldier has nothing to do with who's in the white House). You just can't show Superman work with the government because it makes him automatically a stooge and not, y'know, the guy who doesn't wear a mask because his modus operandi is inspiring trust. We have had a Superman with his middle fingers up before and all he seems to do is turn back into this guy.

Sadly, as a Captain Atom fan I'd say that guy got it even worse. People think he's even more of a puppet when his whole story is literally about being screwed by the government. After being relieved about how PKJ handles Superman, I wanna go back and check out his Captain America, and I hope if anyone touches Atom again it's this sort of guy who understands how to write heroes who don't necessarily have to be "edgy."
    For better or for worst, the DKR rendered it impossible for Superman working with the feds to ever be seen as a “good” thing again. That story will always overshadow any attempt at trying to rehabilitate the idea of Supes cooperating with the government. For me that’s just fine since I prefer Supes not be too close to those guys.

PKJ writing Atom would be interesting, although I think the best hero for Atom to play off of that PKJ is also writing would be John Stewart. An ex-solider hero who is currently still serving in a fashion playing off of an ex-Marine hero who has joined another organization could be compelling.

https://www.cbr.com/incredible-hulk-...ohnson-fan-qa/

Kind of a missed connection there. As Hulk was my #2 hero in the 90s I gotta say it was coolest that he was basically a modern day Doc Savage, which lines him up well with Superman aside from their memorable battles up to and throughout that decade. Funny to check out the fight Castellini drew and now that Superman is clean cut, see Hulk with a Gammullet.

But anyway, I'm happy for him and will certainly jump on that disgustingly huge Immortal Omnibus around the same time

https://twitter.com/phillipkjohnson/...487sLx_4UoiJsQ
    As ever, @DanPGWatters and I are united in purpose. And in style, jiu jitsu, and all the cool creepy irreverent **** we like.
    Hmmm maybe the next Superman foe PKJ is using after KT is Doomsday? Doomsday ruling Hell and Superman having to go there and kick his ass might finally be the first post Death use of Doomsday that gets me interested. Having Watters and PKJ collaborating is exciting all the same.
    https://www.cbr.com/incredible-hulk-...ohnson-fan-qa/

Kind of a missed connection there. As Hulk was my #2 hero in the 90s I gotta say it was coolest that he was basically a modern day Doc Savage, which lines him up well with Superman aside from their memorable battles up to and throughout that decade. Funny to check out the fight Castellini drew and now that Superman is clean cut, see Hulk with a Gammullet.

But anyway, I'm happy for him and will certainly jump on that disgustingly huge Immortal Omnibus around the same time
    Hulk is my #2 guy after Supes, that seems to be pretty common amusingly enough. Definitely recommend you check out Immortal Hulk if you haven’t already.

In another funny tie, I really got out of comics because my lcs was doing such a terrible job getting in my Superman and Hulk pulls. I guess Leviathan and Legion were getting underway, and it had gotten so annoying that I just stopped. Left off around Immortal thirty something I suppose.

And it only make sense to see Hank, Steel, Kon, and Doomsday all get a spotlight this year.

Extraordinary Member

Action Comics #1055 Preview
    Writers: Various
    Artists: Various

Nice Cyborg-Superman refresher and team work.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Action Comics #1055 Preview
    Writers: Various
    Artists: Various

Wow, Kenan drops a “great kid, don’t get cocky” reference. Tremendous!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog