Page 371 of 376 FirstFirst ... 271321361367368369370371372373374375 ... LastLast
Results 5,551 to 5,565 of 5626
    Incredible Member

- Otho calling Clark "Papa" was cute. And the alternate version of her as "Valkyrie General of Warworld" was interesting. Though a part of me wonders if she shouldn't have just referred to as that universe's current Mongul.
    - "Sister Shadow" as a name is hard to take seriously. Was "Lady Shadow" taken?
    - The retcon to make the events of Authority Special a bigger loss for the Al-Ghul's than it looked like in that comic is indeed very awkward.
    - Conner gets 2 panels to himself but PKJ makes them worthwhile.
    - I've read enough, I'm convinced I want a Supergirl book by PKJ. However, Lois should have been the main one comforting her adopted son in that scene.
    - Constantine's and Clark's scenes together are so fun.
    - I do find myself bothered by Clark essentially being rewarded for... doing everything wrong in the final scene. However, this may change depending on how the final issue goes.

I'm going to miss PKJ.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Lol right? Why Clark.

I haven't read that special so it's a little weird that it's so important
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

It is even weirder if you have read it!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Shame the Authority couldn't be here for this.

Which I just now realize the thing with Lightray hasn't been followed up on. Wonder if someone's ever gonna take a shot at what her deal is. Hmmmh maybe in the next New Gods story if one ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It’s rare in today’s market but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the runs that tend to be viewed as “legendary” are the ones that do have that consistency. Immortal Hulk, like it or not (and I’m sure Ewing does not like it) probably would not have been as big of a hit as it was without Bennett’s consistency on art. Aaron’s Thor run benefited from having Rubic and Dauterman on art. Invincible had Ottley, Zdarsky Daredevil had Checchetto, Redondo on Nightwing, etc.
    I'm rereading Pak'a run and it sure helps that Kuder did over 20 issues. Some issues, mostly event tie-ins, had multiple artists, but Kuder would usually still do few pages to preserve visual consistency a bit.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I'm rereading Pak'a run and it sure helps that Kuder did over 20 issues. Some issues, mostly event tie-ins, had multiple artists, but Kuder would usually still do few pages to preserve visual consistency a bit.
    I wonder if there has ever been a potential all-time great creative team so utterly squandered as Pak and Kuder. I consider their Action Comics #25 a classic.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I wonder if there has ever been a potential all-time great creative team so utterly squandered as Pak and Kuder. I consider their Action Comics #25 a classic.
    That and Batman/Superman #1-4 with Jae Lee in my opinion are slam dunks. Despite getting derailed by events Pak has more great Superman issues than many celebrated Superman writers.

I guess that due to Truth bombing hard DC doesn't really want to revisit that era and do some big collections. Or maybe it will be Pak's turn after DC finishes collecting Superman by Busiek and Johns?

It's a sad parting...even if PKJ is still at DC .

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

A nice write up and tribute. Among my favorite lines:

It’s shown fans the world over how malleable the Man of Steel can be across a variety of genres.
    I think this is PKJ’s greatest talent and most of his books reflect his ability to play in the sandbox of more than one genre at once. He will surely be missed.

I also hope he keeps his Superman twitter avatar on principle.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Oh PKJ, why your run had to be so short.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Best wishes on whatever new stuff PKJ is going to be working on after this.

Hopefully he can keep writing more Superman.

https://x.com/phillipkjohnson/status...487sLx_4UoiJsQ
    Fun fact for the OG Vertigo fans: in Action Comics #1060 (currently on shelves), Sister Shadow's chambers contain magical/occult artifacts from across the multiverse, INCLUDING the skull of Merlin and the enchanted arm and talisman of Kon-Sten-Tyn from the HELLBLAZER 1989 Annual.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Best wishes on whatever new stuff PKJ is going to be working on after this.

Hopefully he can keep writing more Superman.
    He keeps saying he’s still going to be writing him in some capacity so we’ll see… (fingers crossed).
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member

Action Comics 2023 Annual #1 Preview
    Writer: Phillip Kennedy Johnson
    Artist: Max Raynor