Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
Lying is in Superman's bones. At least in regards to his true identity/identities. In all incarnations, including Reeve. Is it hypocrisy, boiled right down to it sure, but its a dichotomy that should be fascinating if people weren't so afraid of it these days. This just sounds like shilling the comics line. In the comics his secret is out and he's glad, so he should be that open across all mediums. And I mean...just no. I get part of that is his job, pushing the status quo he is going to be maintaining. But I mean, this is just so in-character to not tell any hypothetical child this information for a long time.
I have thought that the parallel between secret identities and the closet may have shifted, however unintentionally. LGBT people have always found something to identify with in super heroes having a secret life, but as we are increasingly able to live openly, the trend seems to follow that secret identities aren't as common with heroes as they used to be. I don't expect this is something that was planned, but it is the way things have gone.